“An excellent city hotel”
Review of Grand Hotel Sofia

Ranked #7 of 133 Hotels in Sofia
Zurich, Switzerland
“An excellent city hotel”
Reviewed 17 January 2014 via mobile

The enormous rooms in this hotel (almost with the size of a dance floor) are perfectly equipped and are ideal when you travel with children. Kids have enough space in the room for playing. The rooms offer all facilities that are expected for the hotel class, starting with a bathroom with shower and additional bath tube and finishing with a large working table. The large beds are very comfortable. Free WLAN service is available all around the hotel.

Breakfast is very good. In addition to a classical continental breakfast local specialities are served. You can even have honey served in the honeycomb.

The staff is always helpful.

Stayed January 2014, travelled with family
Petya A, Front Office Manager at Grand Hotel Sofia, responded to this review, 20 January 2014
Dear valued guest,

Thank you so much for sharing your comments with us and for choosing Grand Hotel Sofia. We are proud of our property and your feedback shows that we have managed to pass the experience to our guests.
We look forward to welcoming you back!

Kind Regards,

Front Office Manager

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (122)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Czech first
  • Greek first
  • Hebrew first
  • Indonesian first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Reviewed 3 January 2014

The first impression of our room was that it was huge and tastefully decorated. In addition to the large bed, work table with chair, dresser with TV and separate dresser with mini-bar, there was a separate seating area with two small couches, coffee table and floor lamp. As we spent three nights, we loved the ample storage space for our clothing and toiletries. The bathroom was also a very nice size with a wide tub, bidet, shower cabin and lots of vanity space. And this was a standard room!

Although use of the spa area was not included in the price of our room, a complimentary sauna is provided with each spa service. As a special Christmas promotion in return for ordering massages, we were given a full day of access to the sauna, IR cabin, Jacuzzi and steam bath. Everything worked well and was spotlessly clean. We appreciated the separate lift from the spa area to the hotel room floors (bypassing the lobby entrance), allowing us to transit in robes and slippers provided by the hotel.

We ordered the buffet breakfast; it was great—except the day that the coffee machine broke. In addition to a variety of prepared dishes, fruits, vegetables and pastries, we were able to order custom made omelets.

The Wi-Fi worked well and the staff was very helpful. We had to request help twice for technical issues with the safe and TV and the response both times was immediate and friendly.

The location of the hotel was very convenient—within walking distance of the Christmas market, Alexander Nevsky Cathedral, the National Art Gallery and shopping.

If we are ever in Sofia again, we would love to stay here!

• Stayed December 2013, travelled as a couple
Petya A, Front Office Manager at Grand Hotel Sofia, responded to this review, 6 January 2014
Dear valued guests,

I can’t begin to tell you how happy it made me to read about your experience at our hotel. The team here strives to make each guest experience as close to perfect as humanly possible. When we accomplish that goal we’ve done our job. We are so honored that you choose Grand Hotel Sofia during your stay in Bulgaria for the Christmas holidays.

And we’re extremely grateful that you took time out of your busy schedule to share this wonderful feedback regarding the Health Center and Breakfast experience. I really appreciate it and know the team will as well when I share it with them.

We look forward to welcoming you back again the next time you are in town.

Provo, Utah
Reviewed 3 January 2014

I spent 3 days at the Grand Hotel, and I cannot say enough good concerning this hotel. The room was luxurious, very quiet, and clean. The bed was excellent. The design of the hotel was very inviting and reassuring to a weary traveler. The service was superb, and the staff was very helpful in providing information about the city. The breakfast buffet was very good with a large selection of food. I would recommend this hotel to anyone traveling to Sofia.

• Stayed December 2013, travelled on business
Dear Valued guest,
Thank you for taking the time to share this review. We're flattered and thrilled that you enjoyed our amenities and, above all, that the service exceeded your expectations. Your remark on the service of my colleagues is very much appreciated because it is people’s attitude that really makes the difference. Reading your review would be a great motivating factor for all of them.

Thank you for your overall rating of Grand Hotel Sofia as an excellent hotel.
Naturally, we would love to be at your service again in the future and hope that your travel plans will take you back to Bulgaria.

Wokingham, United Kingdom
Reviewed 30 December 2013

The Sofia Grand hotel lives up to its name. Excellent service, huge rooms, very good restaurant, good central location.
I was upgraded to a top floor room with balcony which had lovely views over the city one way and the mountains the other way.
The restaurant is really excellent - I would especially recommend the smoked salmon and the beef stroganoff. Bulgarian red wine is also very good indeed.
My only suggested improvement would be that the breakfast service could be better.
Do take the time to walk to the Saint Sofia church, the Russian church and the cathedral which are all within 10 minutes walk through pleasant parks.

• Stayed December 2013, travelled on business
Petya A, Front Office Manager at Grand Hotel Sofia, responded to this review, 2 January 2014
Dear valued guest,

Thank you for the kind words and recognition. What a wonderful start of the year.
We’re proud of our culinary operation and work hard to ensure that the dining experience is of the highest caliber possible, with fresh ingredients and gourmet dishes that look as amazing as they taste. We are glad that our efforts have been noticed.

We really hope that you will find reasons to come back to Sofia and I would like to assure you that my colleagues will make it another worthwhile experience for you.

Washington, DC
Reviewed 27 December 2013

I stayed at the Grand Hotel Sofia in November 2013. I read the reviews before traveling and all the bad things I read about the hotel I did not see when I stayed. The staff was very nice and attentive. They helped with everything from getting me a power adapter to giving me recommendations on where to eat and places to see. The other reviews I read about the staff being more concerned about their smart phones and not greeting the customers were completely wrong.
The rooms were HUGE and gave me the room I needed to get my work done. The breakfast at the restaurant was wonderful and the staff at the restaurant made me realize why this is a 5 star hotel.
The hotel is located in a part of the city where one felt safe to be able to walk around at night without the fear of being mugged or robbed. I cannot say that for the other countries I have visited. Places where you could not walk past the corner of the hotel without feeling threatened.
I would like to give a special thanks to Irenia who works at the front desk, who took the time to show me around a little after she got off work. That was a very nice thing to do and I learned a lot about the beautiful city of Sofia.
All in all, I would stay at this hotel again and may be the only hotel I would stay at in Sofia.
Thank you for the wonderful experience.

Room Tip: Try to stay on the 7th floor or higher. You will have a nice view of the city and mountains.
  • Stayed November 2013, travelled on business
Petya A, Front Office Manager at Grand Hotel Sofia, responded to this review, 30 December 2013
Dear valued guest,

Thank you so much for taking the time to share this wonderful review.
It was a real pleasure reading it. Our service team is grateful for the kind recognition.

Thank you for your overall rating of Grand Hotel Sofia as an excellent hotel. We are thrilled that we have come to your level of expectations and even exceeded it.
You are a valued patron of our hotel and I look forward to the opportunity of welcoming you back on future occasions.
Wish you a great and successful 2014.
Haifa, Israel
Reviewed 20 December 2013 via mobile

Just came back from 4 nights at the Grand Hotel, Sofia.
The hotel is right on the city center, within a walking distance to main attractions, shopping etc.
The staff is extremely helpful, service is excellent. Room is cleaned twice a day. The rooms are HUGE! and very comfortable.
The buffet breakfast, lunch and dinner are somewhat disappointing...
With such a splendid hotel one could expect more imagination from the hotel's chef...
However, I will happily recommend this hotel to all my friends.

Stayed December 2013, travelled on business
Petya A, Front Office Manager at Grand Hotel Sofia, responded to this review, 21 December 2013
Dear valued guest,
Thank you so much for sharing your comments with us and for choosing Grand Hotel Sofia. We are delighted that you have enjoyed our amenities and, above all, that the service has met your expectations.
Please take time up on your next visit to contact me directly and we can discuss any cuisine suggestions and preferences you may have. We would gladly prepare something special that will suite your taste.
Happy Holidays from all of us.
Geneva, Switzerland
Reviewed 30 November 2013

At the heart of Sofia and a few minutes walking from the must see. Rooms are spacious and comfortable. Had a nice view from room 611 (single room). Gym and spa available (unfortunately had not time). Highly recommended.

• Stayed November 2013, travelled solo
1 Thank LuisGVA
Petya A, Front Office Manager at Grand Hotel Sofia, responded to this review, 11 December 2013