“I wish we could stay more”
5 of 5 bubbles Review of Grand Hotel Sofia

Grand Hotel Sofia
Ranked #5 of 131 Hotels in Sofia
Istanbul, Istanbul, Turkey
“I wish we could stay more”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 April 2014 via mobile

We could just spend one night at this hotel since our originally reserved hotel was overbooked. This hotel was so good ans the room that gave us at the top floor had a wonderfull view of sofia. We wished we could stay more ar this hotel. Very near to any place you will want to see şn the city

Stayed April 2014, travelled on business
1 Thank Gulsenist
Petya A, Front Office Manager at Grand Hotel Sofia, responded to this review, 4 April 2014
Dear valued guest,
Thank you so much for the kind recognition. What could be more rewarding for a hotelier than a review like yours?

We hope it will not be long before we welcome you again as guests of the Grand Hotel Sofia. Hopefully next time you will have some spare time to indulge in some body treatments in our Health Centre or enjoy our homemade desserts in the garden of Grand Café. That is pure pleasure for all senses.

Front Office Manager

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (114)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
London, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 April 2014

Based on other reviews I was expecting a truly Grand Hotel. That it certainly isn't. The rooms are huge which is nice but a bit dated. The bigger problem was the heating being controlled centrally (or so we were told) and which couldn't be turned down , so we were sweltering our entire stay. Service was very good. Breakfast was poor and not what I would expect from a good hotel.
The lobby is very nice and the location is good.

• Stayed February 2014, travelled on business
2 Thank kkarlssss
Dear valued guest,
Thank you for taking the time to share this review.

We are sorry that the selection of products at breakfast did not meet your personal preferences. Do not hesitate to contact me personally up on your next visit so that we could be aware of your preferences and respond more adequately to your taste.

Please accept our apologies that you have experienced some troubles with the airconditioning. During the spring season people usually have different estimation and preferences on the in room climate other than the air-conditioning that is a standard room feature. In order to suit the preferences of our clients we have fans, heaters and humidifiers and also rooms with opening windows.

Thank you again for your comments. I understand your disappointment but I am sure that if you decide to book again with us your next visit would be according to your expectations and my colleagues will make sure that it would be a worthwhile experience for you.

Grand Hotel Sofia
Sofia, Bulgaria
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 March 2014

Luxury hotel in the heart of Sofia. The stuff was friendly. The room was more than spacious, the bed was large and comfortable. There was everything you would need for a short stay, even an umbrella. Real five-star stay, more than I had expected. An unforgettable weekend to remember!

• Stayed April 2013, travelled as a couple
Petya A, Front Office Manager at Grand Hotel Sofia, responded to this review, 31 March 2014
Dear valued guest,
Thank you so much for the wonderful review. The whole service team in Grand Hotel Sofia strives to create unforgettable memories for every guest. We are glad that we have managed to pass the experience to you and even exceeded your expectations.
Thank you for your overall rating of Grand Hotel Sofia as an excellent hotel.
It would be a great honor and pleasure to welcome you again next time you are in town.

Belgium
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 March 2014

I stayed in the hotel for only one night on a Friday evening. Prices were affordable for a hotel with such standing. Very nice interior and large rooms. As compared to other hotels in Sofia, it's worth spending a small extra for what you get.
will be my preferred hotel in Sofia now

• Stayed March 2014, travelled on business
6 Thank Bjorn_Belgium
Petya A, Front Office Manager at Grand Hotel Sofia, responded to this review, 26 March 2014
Dear valued guest,

Thank you so much for sharing your comments with us and for choosing Grand Hotel Sofia. We are proud of our property and your feedback shows that we have managed to pass the experience to our guests.
We look forward to welcoming you back!

Kind Regards,

Mount Pleasant, South Carolina
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 March 2014

My girlfriend and I stayed here the night before leaving Sofia to return to the United States for Christmas. We thought we would treat ourselves to the best, and, from the style and luxury standpoint, this certainly is one of the best in Bulgaria's capitol.

First, you really can't beat the decor. It is ornate and beautiful, and, also important, it is clean. The rooms themselves are equal to the opulent, immaculate lobby, and the single complaint I have about them is that the beds are a bit on the firm side.

As for the service, it was great. Upon check-in, the front desk was warm and welcoming, and upon check out, they were the same. They also helped us by calling a taxi to get us to the airport, for which we were very thankful.

The location is also right in the center of Sofia, which means you are close by a number of a attractions and to the subway if you need to head further out in the city. As an added bonus, if you get the right room, you will have a lovely view of Sofia at night.

Other than the firm beds, my only real complaint is that they charge for wifi access. However, the Grand Hotel Sofia is not alone in this. It seems an odd quirk of "five-star," "luxury" hotels that they all charge for internet access while their less pricy competitors offer it for free. This is not something I understand, but it is part of the equation when I rate a hotel.

In short, if you are a businessman or -woman, there might be better options as far as total value and amenities (like free wifi and breakfast), but, in the end, the Grand Hotel is well worth the price if you're looking for true luxury and for great service and location.

• Stayed December 2013, travelled as a couple
Petya A, Front Office Manager at Grand Hotel Sofia, responded to this review, 19 March 2014
Dear valued guest,
Thank you so much for taking the time to share your comments on the Grand Hotel Sofia. We are thrilled that you have enjoyed our amenities and that our service team succeeded in turning your stay into a memorable experience.

Our hotel offers free Wi-Fi and LAN internet access in the rooms; free of charge Wi-Fi access is also available throughout the entire property. I guess what you refer to in your review was our business center, where we provide chargeable usage of computers and other services for the business purposes of our guests.
Naturally, we would love to be at your service again in the future and hope that your travel plans will take you back to Sofia.

Washington DC, District of Columbia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 February 2014

Grand Hotel Sofia was one of the best hotel experiences my family has had in years. Sofia is very compact and walkable, and Grand Hotel Sofia is central to every sight - it's no more than ten minutes walk from every tourist spot. We got a complimentary upgrade to a large corner suite with an anteroom, a palatial bathroom, a large main room, and a side area for our baby's crib. But the service was the most impressive part. The concierge booked us excellent restaurants, helped us carry our stroller, and even got us a good babysitter for an evening so we could enjoy the town without the baby. The breakfast buffet was delicious and had good hours - you could sleep in and still take advantage of it. We'd go back in a heartbeat

• Stayed February 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank Ed B
Petya A, Front Office Manager at Grand Hotel Sofia, responded to this review, 5 March 2014
Dear valued guests,
I can’t begin to tell you how happy it made me to read about your experience at our hotel. The team here strives to make each guest experience as close to perfect as humanly possible. When we accomplish that goal we’ve done our job. The fact that you were mostly impressed by the service is our greatest reward. My colleagues and I really appreciate it. Thank you once again.

We look forward to welcoming you back again the next time you are in town.

Greece
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 February 2014

We spent 3 nights at this hotel. The location is great and they offer free parking space, which was one of the reasons we chose this hotel. The room was big, comfortable and clean. What we really didn't like was the fact that you can't open any windows and no fresh air enters the room. The hotel employees were nice and polite and they even offered us a free bottle of wine for some minor noise heard from the basement because they were doing some works.

My other complaint was the way we were treated while paying the bill the night before check-out. Let me explain: The receptionist gave me the bill and I realized that they had charged us for breakfasts we didn't have. Anyway, that was an honest mistake I think as his colleague had noted that we wanted to have breakfast, although both my husband and me said no when we were asked. So, the receptionist apologized and said that he would have to check if we had breakfast and then issue the correct bill. Haven't they heard of people's word? They had us waiting for about 15 minutes just to check that. Although he apologized, I don't think this is the correct way to treat clients at 5 star hotels! I mean, our word that we didn't have breakfast didn't matter, he had to check that with us waiting there! What I would do if I were the receptionist: I would apologize for the mistake, issue the correct bill and let the clients go for their night out. I would then check if they had breakfast and if they had lied, well then, I would do what it was necessary. That was our experience there.

• Stayed February 2014, travelled as a couple
Dear valued guests,

I would like to express my gratitude for taking the time to share the experience you have had at our hotel.
Your comments regarding the breakfast are very much appreciated by the staff since this is what we are counting on in our ongoing efforts to improve the level of service that we provide.
Do not hesitate to state your preferences for opening windows during your next visit, because it will give us the information needed to respond to your needs more adequately.
We hope it will not be long before we welcome you again as guests of the Grand Hotel Sofia. I can guarantee you that my colleagues will make sure that it would be a worthwhile experience for you.

Best Regards