“Not great”
Review of Holiday Inn Sofia

Holiday Inn Sofia
Ranked #17 of 135 Hotels in Sofia
Reviewed 5 December 2013

I chose the HI Sofia, as i regularly use HI and am a Platinum member.
On check-in you get a very nice letter, but in reality it is just a sales pitch with no actual benefits from the loyalty programme. No bonus points allocated as is the norm in 90% of HI globally. You get a 'free' drink from a locally produced beer can, but if you try to order the same in the bar the price is 7 times the price. Food is extortionate (Even compared to western Europe), and pretty poor in quality. I would recommend the subway just 50m from the hotel. There is a 14 Lev charge for airport transfers, and im sure this rate depends where you come from. I would avoid this hotel if you are a tourist, but on business it is 'OK'...

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled on business
pagm, Manager at Holiday Inn Sofia, responded to this reviewResponded 9 December 2013

Dear Guest

Your loyalty to IHG is greatly appreciated and we are pleased to have welcomed you at the Holiday Inn Sofia. We value your comments since they give us the chance to uphold our standards and to provide highest quality of services and accommodations at all times.

Let us assure you that our hotel is in full compliance with the Holiday Inn brand standards and we offer all benefits related to the IHG Rewards Club Loyalty Programme, including bonus points relevant to the guest’s membership level and rate booked. We treat all our loyal guests with the special care and attention they deserve.

Our 5 star hotel and all its food & beverage outlets, including the Brasserie Restaurant and the Chi Bar, are recognized amongst the finest in the capital – the range of services we offer and the outstanding quality we provide are priced accordingly and in line with our category. We find it inappropriate to suggest that our fine-dining restaurant or stylish lounge bar could be compared to a fast-food sandwich chain – neither in price, quality nor in the level and type of service provided, as they targeted at completely different segments of customers.

Moreover, our shuttle bus charge from the hotel to the airport is a very competitive fixed rate that is equal to the taxi charge for the same distance, thus offering a very good deal. ensuring both the comfort and safety of our guests in our Mercedes Benz shuttle buses.

Reviewed 5 December 2013

I have stayed one night in this very good Holiday inn. In Sofia , I stay only in two hotels , one of them is this one. It is true , it is a little bit out side the center but if your business brings at business park in Sofia , it's right next to it. The hotel it's self offers good services in F/B and the stuff is very polite and well trained.
They also have a spa and swimming pool , including a gym but I have never used them. Next to the hotel there is a big cinema/shop complex , if one wishes to take a walk , with a lot of choices.
It's worth staying , I recommended it.

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled on business

Dear Valued Guest

Thank you very much for taking the time to write about your memorable experience at the Holiday Inn Sofia.

It is great pleasure for us to know we are among your top preferred hotels – this is a real reward for our daily efforts to be a Great Hotel Guests Love.

Indeed our Esprit Leisure & Spa is one of the best in town and we hope you will have the chance to pamper yourself during your next stays with us.

Once again, thank you for your lovely feedback. We look forward to welcoming you back,

Reviewed 26 November 2013

I am avaluating the service provided by Esprit Leisure Club at Holiday Inn Hotel in Sofia, Bulgaria. The management team of the herementioned club does no value the loyalty of the customers at all. I am very dissapointed that I got an injury at the gym back in July, just a few days after I renewed my membreship for another 6 months. The injury was a serious one followed by a few doctors' examinations, physio theraphy, massages, 2 injections and lots of money and time wasted. The injury happened while I was exercising in the gym. Since they do not have staff dedicated to monitor the gym and a gym assistant that could help the users of the equipment I attempted to call in my personal coach to help me while exercising. Due to multiple issues with the payment terms for his membership I had to give up and start exercising on my own. This was one of the reasons I got injured. I was not able to do any exercises for almost 2 months during which I could even hardly walk. When I was feeling better and based on doctor's recommendations I started going to the gym again. This was 2-3 weeks ago. Since I was not using the gym for 2 months I requested to have my membership extended by that time. I provided all medical documentation I had from my doctors and which explained the manipulations I had gone thru. I did not request any coverage for my recovering my healthy condiction nor any other compensation from the Esprit Leisure Club management althogh I got the injury at their gym. Unfortunately I recieved a very dissapointing e-mail from a lady holding the title of Group Solicitor at Meridian Leisure Hotels. Her response actually shocked me and not because I got a refusal from her side about extending my membership, but because I have lots of friends to which I recommended Esprit Leisure Club and which started going there based on my recommendation. Their names were provided in my e-mail to her. The lady demonstrated full lack of interest in retaining them as club members, but also diminished the importance of my health and the safety conitions at Esprit Leisure club, which could lead to further injuries to other clients. This is not called customer service and I will not accept it. Holiday Inn are a hotel chain which is claiming to keep high quality standards, from the e-mail I recieved in regards to my inquiry ( which is really a reasonable one as it is related to my health) I will no longer recommend this hotel nor the Esprit Leisure club inside. The hotel as well as the gym are rather expensive and as such clients that are using their services need to be getting good value for the paid money. In the particular case this was not the case and if you really care about your health I would not recomment anyone visiting the above mentioned facilities.

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled with friends
2  Thank Veselka I
pagm, Manager at Holiday Inn Sofia, responded to this reviewResponded 28 November 2013

Dear Club Member

Thank you for choosing Esprit Leisure Club & Spa at the Holiday Inn Sofia for your sports and leisure activities. It is our main goal to provide the highest quality of services and facilities at all times in order to ensure our guests and members enjoy a memorable experience with us in our superb facilities. We place their comfort, individual needs and satisfaction at the heart of everything we do, and we are always considering any reasonable request we receive from members such as yourself. The numerous international awards with which we have been rewarded since the opening of the hotel and the extremely positive guest feedback we consistently receive are the true evidence that our efforts are recognized and highly appreciated by our loyal guests.

Further to the case you have described in your review, let me briefly clarify the facts.

With your initial email to our Leisure Club Manager, cited below, you have requested a membership extension for both yourself and your partner .

" Sent: Thursday, October 24, 2013
I am reaching out to you as I would like to request an extension of my fitness membership card with app.2 months because a little bit after I extended my membership card for another half a year I got a hip injury at while I was exercising at the gym and was unable to do any sports until I had the injury cured.
The same applies for [my partner]. We both took advantage of the partnering program and unfortunately due to injury in his neck he has not been able to utilize his membership card at all. As per doctor’s recommendation swimming is not amongst the sports he is allowed to do. This together with the fact that he hasn’t attended the Edprit Fitness&SPA at all after his membership card was renewed for 6 more months due to the neck pain I would like to request also an extension of his membership card and replacing it with a one for fitness instead of pool area.
I hope that you will satisfy my requests for both myself and [my partner].
Vesi"

The supporting documentation you provided for yourself demonstrates that your first medical certificate is dated 7 August - 7 days after your last visit at the Leisure Club. Normally, following a serious injury, people seek immediate medical assistance and for that matter notify the club of their alleged injury at the time. As you are aware you did not even mention this alleged issue until over 2 months later which makes it apparent your intentions were to seek an extension without any merit and by engaging in falsities. Moreover as you are aware you have not provided any documentation to support the claim that your partner was also injured during the same period. As you will appreciate, the sole phrase "the same applies for [my partner]" is evident enough for us to consider the claim for his injury to have happened at the exactly same period as yours as unreliable. Thus, we believe we had the full grounds to reject your application for an extension which was not in accordance with the club rules.

Let us once again assure you that the comfort, safety and satisfaction of our guests and members are our main priority and we do our outmost on daily basis to meet and exceed their expectations.

We had previously and will continue in future to fulfill their reasonable requests, including membership extensions, provided they have been supported with incontrovertible evidence. It is unfortunate that having sought to obtain an extension which you are fully aware was not justified you have now embarked in an online campaign against the hotel and threatened to encourage other members not to renew their memberships. As you have been advised we do not succumb to threats of negative reviews and we have no doubt readers of your review will be fully aware of the inappropriate nature of your initial request and your subsequent actions.

Reviewed 14 November 2013

Very good business hotel - particularly if you need to be situated close to Sofia Business Park. Not very well located if you want to be close to Central Sofia.
Did seem to have issues with Wifi in some rooms but that seems to have improved recently.
Friendly restaurant and bar staff.

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled on business
pagm, Manager at Holiday Inn Sofia, responded to this reviewResponded 18 November 2013

Dear Guest

Thank you very much for taking the time to write about your recent stay at the Holiday Inn Sofia. It is our main goal to provide high quality service and accommodations and it is truly rewarding to know our guests have memorable and enjoyable experience with us.

We are pleased you have noticed the improvement in our internet system – we have listened to the feedback from our guests and have recently upgraded it with the latest technologies available on the market to ensure smooth internet surfing for our guests and visitors.

Once again, thank you for your review. We look forward to your next stay with us.

Reviewed 7 November 2013

Very close (as in right next to) a giant business park. Not that close to city centre, so would need to take a taxi. Right next door to a cinema complex. (Had KFC, Burger King and another restaurant)

There is a shuttle service available to and from the airport. This is a charged for service, which I didn't know, only saw it on my bill at the end of my stay. I honestly don't mind, but it would have been nice to know. Still cheaper than the taxi's!

The rooms are great. Good size with a nice big bathroom.

Breakfast was good with a really good variety.

I didn't try out the swimming pool, but I wish I did!

The restaurant is good, very good quality food, great wines and friendly staff.

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled on business
pagm, Manager at Holiday Inn Sofia, responded to this reviewResponded 8 November 2013

Dear Valued Guest

Thank you very much for taking the time to write about your enjoyable experience at the Holiday Inn Sofia. Your opinion is highly appreciated since it gives us the opportunity to uphold our standards and to provide highest quality of service to all our guests.

It has been truly rewarding to have read your positive comments relating to the great condition of our spacious rooms and bathrooms, the friendly attitude of our team members as well as the delicious food and special selection of drinks served in our Brasserie Restaurant & Terrace. Indeed, our Esprit Leisure & Spa Club is one of the best in town and we highly recommend you to try it during your next stay with us.

Once again, thank you for your feedback. We look forward to welcoming you back in the near future.

Reviewed 11 October 2013

Everyone there was excellent - superb, friendly and professional service. Great facilities - clean and welcoming - and they have an adequate (quite fine, though not luxurious) pool, steam room and sauna. Typical for and an asset to the HI brand (in my experience). The staff there were superb though - very welcoming - and they helped make my first trip to Bulgaria an absolute pleasure. Thank you to all concerned. They even offered to negotiate with taxi drivers if they tried to overcharge me (which they didn't). My only reservation would be that it's quite a long way from the centre. Fabulous for a business hotel, but possibly not so good for tourism - unless, of course, their rates are competitive. The roads close to the hotel are being widened (Sept 2013) so transport into town should become swifter in the next few months. Also, the restaurant laid on some excellent local food.

Stayed: September 2013, travelled on business
pagm, Manager at Holiday Inn Sofia, responded to this reviewResponded 22 October 2013

Dear Valued Guest

Thank you very much for taking the time to write about your memorable experience with the Holiday Inn Sofia. It is truly rewarding to know that we managed to make your first stay in Bulgaria an absolute pleasure.

We highly appreciate your lovely comments with regard to the friendly and professional attitude of our team and the superb facilities and services offered at our hotel. We are also pleased you have noticed the high level of cleanliness and maintenance which we are particularly proud of.

Further to your comment about the distance of our hotel to downtown Sofia as you will have noted we are very conveniently located for the city centre by the hotels shuttle bus or by taxi. You may have be aware that the exciting metro works are in their final stages and a major new road network is shortly to be opened right near our hotel, as a result of which it will take about 10 minutes to the city center, making Holiday Inn Sofia even more attractive for leisure tourist.

Thank you once again for sharing your feedback online. We hope to welcome you back in the near future!

Kind Regards,

Reviewed 6 October 2013

Once again for a weekend in Sofia, once again in Holiday Inn, which is our favourite hotel there. First of all I have to write that it is a business hotel, situated about 10km away from Sofia center. That means that during weekends it remains very quiet, without many guests,which adds to the whole hotel's quality. I think that Holiday Inn Sofia is one of the best across Europe. The contemporary design meets the prompt staff, and both creating a superb result. Although it's not in the center with about 10-11 LEVA (about 5-6 EUROS) you get where you want by taxi. We stongly recomend Holiday in Sofia for both your holiday or business trip. Note that they offer a very modern gym and a top quality spa.

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled with friends
pagm, Manager at Holiday Inn Sofia, responded to this reviewResponded 11 October 2013

Dear Valued Guest

Thank you very much for taking the time to write about your great experience with the Holiday Inn Sofia.

It was a real pleasure to have welcomed you again in our property and even more to have read your lovely feedback. There is nothing more rewarding than to know that our guests recognize our efforts and consider Holiday Inn Sofia as their only hotel of choice.

Once again, thank you for your custom. We are looking forward to your next stay with us!

Kind Regards,