“Luxury at its best”

Ranked #19 of 133 Hotels in Sofia
London, United Kingdom
“Luxury at its best”
Reviewed 16 December 2013

This hotel has become one of our favourites for luxury. The hotel is relatively cheap for us to stay in but provides all the luxuries and extras you would expect.great decor throughout the hotel and well situated for local business park(particularly if you stay a week day).breakfast is not to be missed.it costs about £15 but you can basically have what you want and as much as you want.the only down sides are that some of the pool area is looking a bit worn and needs cleaned/redecorated and I have has one or two lukewarm showers particularly on the higher floors.
Can,t wait for our next visit

Room Tip: Higher room at back so you can view the mountains
  • Stayed September 2013, travelled with family
pagm, Manager at Holiday Inn Sofia, responded to this review, 23 December 2013
Dear Valued Repeat Guest

Thank you very much for taking the time to write about your memorable experience with the Holiday Inn Sofia.

We highly appreciate your feedback which is truly motivational for us to continue our efforts in making our property a leader in excellence.

It is indeed with great pleasure to inform that currently we are renovating the pool area during the quieter Christmas period, so during your next visit you will definitely notice the difference and enjoy your time with us.

Once again, thank you for your wonderful feedback. We very much appreciate your loyal custom and look forward to welcoming you back in the near future

The Hotel Management

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (35)
  • Czech first
  • Greek first
  • Hungarian first
  • Polish first
Oslo
Reviewed 13 December 2013

The Holiday Inn Sofia is very conveniently located if you have businesses in Sofia Business Park which lays around 25 min out of the city center. As commuting there in the morning can be a hassle, it's actually nice to be able to stay near the office. There is not much to do in the evening though and one has to eat at the hotel or take a taxi. Hotel is ok, but is more 3 starts than 4-5 as they claim. a normal business hotel with rather small room. Bathroom was ok and clean, breakfast is also ok.

pagm, Manager at Holiday Inn Sofia, responded to this review, 19 December 2013
Dear Guest

Thank you for choosing our hotel for your recent stay in Sofia.

We are pleased that you noticed the high quality of cleanliness in the bathrooms, as well as the abundant choice on our extensive breakfast offering. It was with surprise that we have read your comments regarding our 5 star classification as we are not only in full compliance with the European 5-star categorization requirements but we are regarded as one of the best 5 star hotels in the capital. Our prices provide very good value taking in to account the exceptional levels of service and the quality of the product we offer to our guests.

Once again, thank you for choosing to stay with us. We are pleased you found our location so convenient and we look forward to welcoming you to the Holiday Inn Sofia on your next visit to Sofia.

Kent, England, United Kingdom
Reviewed 10 December 2013

I stayed here last week for business. Its about 20 minutes from the airport and is situated in the business district of Sofia. There is not too much in the vicinity of the hotel to do or see, but the hotel is very modern, clean and offers great service. My room was really well appointed the check in staff were really friendly and spoke good English. I eat in the restuarant and the food was lovely and I really enjoyed their Shopska salad - but the portions were huge!

pagm, Manager at Holiday Inn Sofia, responded to this review, 12 December 2013
Dear Valued Guest

Thank you very much for taking the time to write about your lovely experience at the Holiday Inn Sofia.

We very much appreciate your positive comments regarding our high standards of cleanliness and maintenance, the warm welcome by our friendly and professional team and the delicious food served in the Brasserie Restaurant & Terrace. It is truly rewarding for us that you have enjoyed your stay and we look forward to serving you again in the near future!

Vienna, Austria
Reviewed 9 December 2013

This is a property that claims to be 5 star. It's not. I have had a long conversation with the GM of the hotel where she kindly gave me the chance to raise issues I had with the property. Unfortunately this hotel is a work in progress. In particular they need to pay urgent attention to the very poor internet connections on the fifth floor of the hotel. They also seem to have more trainees than staff at the check-in desk. I complained and got proper hangers placed in my room. On the plus side, the bathrooms are fine but don't have robes (for IHG Platinum guests like me). The room upgrade is meaningless - they have a 'sofa bed' in the upgraded room - what about suites?

There's lots of choice in Sofia, consider alternatives. Taxis are cheap so you can get around town affordably.

Disappointing.

Room Tip: Try another hotel for a better room
1 Thank Ravenna2006
pagm, Manager at Holiday Inn Sofia, responded to this review, 11 December 2013
Dear Guest

Thank you for choosing Holiday Inn Sofia for your accommodation needs.

We do not in fact claim to be a 5 star hotel as you suggest – our official rating approved by the official categorization committee in Bulgaria fully recognizes that we are indeed a 5 star hotel.

We are surprised to have read your review after your meeting with our General Manager when you conveyed your appreciation of the prompt action we took to meet your very high expectations. During your stay as you will be aware we ensured that all your requests are fulfilled - including the delivery of special hangers with integral hook to enable you to take these with you to your office. In addition, our IT Manager met with you on two occasions to assist you with the difficulty you were experiencing in connecting your devices which you are aware was entirely due to the corporate settings on your devices and nothing to do with the hotel as you suggest. We recently upgraded the entire internet structure throughout the hotel and provide the latest technology in high speed internet which all our guests are very satisfied with.

As a Platinum IHG Rewards Club Member staying in a Holiday Inn property worldwide, kindly note that you are not entitled to a complimentary upgrade to a suite as you insisted upon. The room category upgrade you refer to would apply as a benefit subject to availability. Our requirement is to upgrade to a higher floor away from the lift and we infact upgraded you to our larger family room at the end of the floor in recognition of your status. Please rest assured that we have always provided our best available rooms to our most loyal guests.

As most reputable international companies, we participate in a program for hiring and training skillful young people and providing them with a chance to build their successful careers with us. Nevertheless, our team of professionals is there to ensure we provide the highest quality of service to each of our guests at all times.

Once again, thank you for your custom. Your loyalty to IHG is highly appreciated, and we look forward to the opportunity of serving you in the near future.

Trowbridge, United Kingdom
Reviewed 5 December 2013

I chose the HI Sofia, as i regularly use HI and am a Platinum member.
On check-in you get a very nice letter, but in reality it is just a sales pitch with no actual benefits from the loyalty programme. No bonus points allocated as is the norm in 90% of HI globally. You get a 'free' drink from a locally produced beer can, but if you try to order the same in the bar the price is 7 times the price. Food is extortionate (Even compared to western Europe), and pretty poor in quality. I would recommend the subway just 50m from the hotel. There is a 14 Lev charge for airport transfers, and im sure this rate depends where you come from. I would avoid this hotel if you are a tourist, but on business it is 'OK'...

pagm, Manager at Holiday Inn Sofia, responded to this review, 9 December 2013
Dear Guest

Your loyalty to IHG is greatly appreciated and we are pleased to have welcomed you at the Holiday Inn Sofia. We value your comments since they give us the chance to uphold our standards and to provide highest quality of services and accommodations at all times.

Let us assure you that our hotel is in full compliance with the Holiday Inn brand standards and we offer all benefits related to the IHG Rewards Club Loyalty Programme, including bonus points relevant to the guest’s membership level and rate booked. We treat all our loyal guests with the special care and attention they deserve.

Our 5 star hotel and all its food & beverage outlets, including the Brasserie Restaurant and the Chi Bar, are recognized amongst the finest in the capital – the range of services we offer and the outstanding quality we provide are priced accordingly and in line with our category. We find it inappropriate to suggest that our fine-dining restaurant or stylish lounge bar could be compared to a fast-food sandwich chain – neither in price, quality nor in the level and type of service provided, as they targeted at completely different segments of customers.

Moreover, our shuttle bus charge from the hotel to the airport is a very competitive fixed rate that is equal to the taxi charge for the same distance, thus offering a very good deal. ensuring both the comfort and safety of our guests in our Mercedes Benz shuttle buses.

Athens, Greece
Reviewed 5 December 2013

I have stayed one night in this very good Holiday inn. In Sofia , I stay only in two hotels , one of them is this one. It is true , it is a little bit out side the center but if your business brings at business park in Sofia , it's right next to it. The hotel it's self offers good services in F/B and the stuff is very polite and well trained.
They also have a spa and swimming pool , including a gym but I have never used them. Next to the hotel there is a big cinema/shop complex , if one wishes to take a walk , with a lot of choices.
It's worth staying , I recommended it.

pagm, Manager at Holiday Inn Sofia, responded to this review, 9 December 2013
Dear Valued Guest

Thank you very much for taking the time to write about your memorable experience at the Holiday Inn Sofia.

It is great pleasure for us to know we are among your top preferred hotels – this is a real reward for our daily efforts to be a Great Hotel Guests Love.

Indeed our Esprit Leisure & Spa is one of the best in town and we hope you will have the chance to pamper yourself during your next stays with us.

Once again, thank you for your lovely feedback. We look forward to welcoming you back,

Sofia, Bulgaria
Reviewed 26 November 2013

I am avaluating the service provided by Esprit Leisure Club at Holiday Inn Hotel in Sofia, Bulgaria. The management team of the herementioned club does no value the loyalty of the customers at all. I am very dissapointed that I got an injury at the gym back in July, just a few days after I renewed my membreship for another 6 months. The injury was a serious one followed by a few doctors' examinations, physio theraphy, massages, 2 injections and lots of money and time wasted. The injury happened while I was exercising in the gym. Since they do not have staff dedicated to monitor the gym and a gym assistant that could help the users of the equipment I attempted to call in my personal coach to help me while exercising. Due to multiple issues with the payment terms for his membership I had to give up and start exercising on my own. This was one of the reasons I got injured. I was not able to do any exercises for almost 2 months during which I could even hardly walk. When I was feeling better and based on doctor's recommendations I started going to the gym again. This was 2-3 weeks ago. Since I was not using the gym for 2 months I requested to have my membership extended by that time. I provided all medical documentation I had from my doctors and which explained the manipulations I had gone thru. I did not request any coverage for my recovering my healthy condiction nor any other compensation from the Esprit Leisure Club management althogh I got the injury at their gym. Unfortunately I recieved a very dissapointing e-mail from a lady holding the title of Group Solicitor at Meridian Leisure Hotels. Her response actually shocked me and not because I got a refusal from her side about extending my membership, but because I have lots of friends to which I recommended Esprit Leisure Club and which started going there based on my recommendation. Their names were provided in my e-mail to her. The lady demonstrated full lack of interest in retaining them as club members, but also diminished the importance of my health and the safety conitions at Esprit Leisure club, which could lead to further injuries to other clients. This is not called customer service and I will not accept it. Holiday Inn are a hotel chain which is claiming to keep high quality standards, from the e-mail I recieved in regards to my inquiry ( which is really a reasonable one as it is related to my health) I will no longer recommend this hotel nor the Esprit Leisure club inside. The hotel as well as the gym are rather expensive and as such clients that are using their services need to be getting good value for the paid money. In the particular case this was not the case and if you really care about your health I would not recomment anyone visiting the above mentioned facilities.

• Stayed July 2013, travelled with friends
2 Thank Veselka I
pagm, Manager at Holiday Inn Sofia, responded to this review, 28 November 2013
Dear Club Member

Thank you for choosing Esprit Leisure Club & Spa at the Holiday Inn Sofia for your sports and leisure activities. It is our main goal to provide the highest quality of services and facilities at all times in order to ensure our guests and members enjoy a memorable experience with us in our superb facilities. We place their comfort, individual needs and satisfaction at the heart of everything we do, and we are always considering any reasonable request we receive from members such as yourself. The numerous international awards with which we have been rewarded since the opening of the hotel and the extremely positive guest feedback we consistently receive are the true evidence that our efforts are recognized and highly appreciated by our loyal guests.

Further to the case you have described in your review, let me briefly clarify the facts.

With your initial email to our Leisure Club Manager, cited below, you have requested a membership extension for both yourself and your partner .

" Sent: Thursday, October 24, 2013
I am reaching out to you as I would like to request an extension of my fitness membership card with app.2 months because a little bit after I extended my membership card for another half a year I got a hip injury at while I was exercising at the gym and was unable to do any sports until I had the injury cured.
The same applies for [my partner]. We both took advantage of the partnering program and unfortunately due to injury in his neck he has not been able to utilize his membership card at all. As per doctor’s recommendation swimming is not amongst the sports he is allowed to do. This together with the fact that he hasn’t attended the Edprit Fitness&SPA at all after his membership card was renewed for 6 more months due to the neck pain I would like to request also an extension of his membership card and replacing it with a one for fitness instead of pool area.
I hope that you will satisfy my requests for both myself and [my partner].
Vesi"

The supporting documentation you provided for yourself demonstrates that your first medical certificate is dated 7 August - 7 days after your last visit at the Leisure Club. Normally, following a serious injury, people seek immediate medical assistance and for that matter notify the club of their alleged injury at the time. As you are aware you did not even mention this alleged issue until over 2 months later which makes it apparent your intentions were to seek an extension without any merit and by engaging in falsities. Moreover as you are aware you have not provided any documentation to support the claim that your partner was also injured during the same period. As you will appreciate, the sole phrase "the same applies for [my partner]" is evident enough for us to consider the claim for his injury to have happened at the exactly same period as yours as unreliable. Thus, we believe we had the full grounds to reject your application for an extension which was not in accordance with the club rules.

Let us once again assure you that the comfort, safety and satisfaction of our guests and members are our main priority and we do our outmost on daily basis to meet and exceed their expectations.

We had previously and will continue in future to fulfill their reasonable requests, including membership extensions, provided they have been supported with incontrovertible evidence. It is unfortunate that having sought to obtain an extension which you are fully aware was not justified you have now embarked in an online campaign against the hotel and threatened to encourage other members not to renew their memberships. As you have been advised we do not succumb to threats of negative reviews and we have no doubt readers of your review will be fully aware of the inappropriate nature of your initial request and your subsequent actions.