Art Hostel
Hotel Lion(Sofia)
US$68
Travelocity
  • Breakfast included
All reviewsbar downstairscool bardorm roomfree breakfastplace to stayminutes walkingstayed for nightsshort staybasementhippiecitydiscomidnighteurope
FilterAll languages
Reviewed 20 February 2014

it"s location is great, very close to everyvhere and people are very polite, decorations is very cute and the bar downstairs is really nice. i also love their music style, if you come to sofia you sould drink a beer in the bar at least

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 2 January 2014

I just stayed here for one night because I took a flight the next day. It was a really good experience.

The Staff was really nice and calm and gave us nice tips. The garden was wonderful and the people who stayed there also.

The evening in the bar chatting with the other guests and the breakfast in the morning. I really liked the place.

We took a double room and the beds were really comfy and I enjoyed the balcony where I could see the garden.

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 19 December 2013

As with all things, I cannot claim to speak for all people or all experiences. Mine was this. I came to art hostel on one passing mention from one passing acquaintance in Thessaloniki, Greece. I was taking a leap of faith and had little in the way of expectations for either the hostel or the city. I was supposed to leave the next day in fact, on my way to the other balkan countries. In the end, I stayed four other nights, checking out every morning and checking back in every night once I realized I couldn't leave just yet. I fell in love with the place and the people I met at Art Hostel.

Generally, it's hard not to meet people there...if you leave your room and especially if you go to the bar or garden at any point...there are always locals and other travelers around. That's the coolest thing about Art Hostel: it's unique vibe, it's social, yet chill atmosphere, the fact that it's just as much for visitors as for the locals. You're immediately integrated into the local life and culture, if you are open to it. Not to mention the friendly and approachable staff, who you'll no doubt meet and hang with from time to time in the garden and bar as well. The rooms were a great size (much bigger than I had experienced in other hostels, especially the more modern ones in Western Europe. The beds were comfortable and sturdy, the bathrooms and kitchens just enough.

If you are looking for a perfect, modern, all-amenities included, top-of-the-line, corporate hostel-hotel, this isn't for you. It's situated in a lovely, old building, that has a ton of character, and has been refurbished by its own staff. In a way there is a balance between staff care and guest care for the space. And the garden is amazing...my favorite part of the place by far...amazing murals and covered seating area, lots of beautiful plants and greenery, all also lovingly cared for by staff.

I had no issues with cleanliness. Nor with the breakfast - typical hostel fare, with a few nice extras, like the Bulgarian cheese. If you're a gastronome with a refined palate (like moi), no worries there are some great cafe-bakeries in walking distance(I.e The Sun-Moon bakery :) and you can easily supplement with foods you find during your wanderings.

One other warning, having grown up in middle-class America, if you bring demands or expectations of typical American standards of service, conveniences and comforts, you could find yourself feeling like a fish out of water here. They will take care of you at Art Hostel, but you must also take care of yourself. Best to come with an open mind and be flexible.

P.S. Location is great. Very central. Near some nice neighborhoods as well.

Room Tip: I slept first in a single private, then for four nights in a six-bed, mixed dorm. Both were incredibly spacious with nice furnishings; not IKEA- quality, we're talking made-of-real-wood!
  • Stayed: September 2013, travelled solo
Reviewed 4 November 2013

My boyfriend and I stayed in one of the 8-bed dorms in late September, as we only had a quick overnight in Sofia and didn't want to spend too much. We regretted this decision for the rest of the trip! The dorm was INFESTED with bedbugs. I woke up with over 15 painful bites, and there was one crawling on my bag, then we later found one on the inside of my boyfriend's sweatshirt after we had left. Having had some experience with bedbugs before, I knew this was a sign of a serious infestation. We had to spent the next TWO days of our vacation throwing things away and de-contaminating all of our belongings, which was both time consuming and costly. Not to mention the paranoia for the rest of the trip that we would bring the bedbugs back home with us. Also, the bar outside is loud at night and the free breakfast is only white bread toast with butter. NOT worth it! The bathroom did not have soap or toilet paper and was dirty. Only kudos is for good wi-fi in the rooms and lounge area, plus we found an excellent restaurant down the street (Raffys).

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled as a couple
4  Thank Janna_Smith1
Reviewed 18 October 2013

Excellent hostel with really nice feeling! The garden is nice, the bar is nice, the staff is nice, the party is hard, So really a place who I recommend! But, if you don't like to make party change you're plans! A bar on a hostel it's a big trap and you always finish to drink with all the different (locals and foreigners!) people! Because you are always somethings to do the nights! Only dark point, the kitchen is really long for cooking somethings!

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled solo