“Awful staff but good location”
Review of Hotel Niky

Hotel Niky
Ranked #18 of 133 Hotels in Sofia
Skopje, Republic of Macedonia
“Awful staff but good location”
Reviewed 2 October 2012

I stayed at this hotel for one night on 29.09.2012. I chose this hotel because of its location and good reviews. But I was completely disappointed from the staff from the first moment I came. This hotel doesn't have a parking but I knew about it. I was supposed to pay the parking for one hour and they offered me the ticket at the reception but they didn't explain me how to fill it in. And since I can't read in Bulgarian, I didn't fill it right. Because of their impoliteness and unwillingness to tell me the instructions for the ticket, I was obligated to pay the parking twice for one hour. Instead of dealing with this problem with me as a customer, they called the security for arguing.
If you travel by car, I recommend you to choose another hotel because there are better hotels for the same price and with better service.
Regarding the food, I can say that It was good but too far from excellent.
And at the end while I was checking out, they wanted me to pay for one bottle of water from the mini bar that I didn't take because It looked like it stayed there for a year.
The hotel is good but the staff are horrible and very impolite.

Room Tip: If you travel by a car don't go there.
  • Stayed September 2012, travelled solo
1 Thank EliBV

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (23)
  • Slovak first
Tel Aviv, Israel
Reviewed 25 September 2012

Hotel Niky is an average hotel located not far from Sofia's main attractions.
The room is not very big. My room had two single beds which were awful – they were very narrow, fitting a child rather than an adult. When I wanted to change position during the night, I had to get out of the bed, circle it and get into the bed, again, from the other side. Turning over otherwise would result in falling down. The mattress is very uncomfortable and hard. In general, the sleeping quality was very poorly.
The room and furniture look quite old and not welcoming and it seems not very clean.
The toilet and shower are clean and modern.
The breakfast was o.k.
The staff is also just o.k.
I left the hotel after one night and moved to a better one. I think this hotel needs updating – it is time to renovate the rooms and the beds.

• Stayed September 2012, travelled as a couple
2 Thank sigal h
Alveley, Shropshire
Reviewed 13 September 2012

I spent 3 nights in this small hotel in Sofia. It is situated in a side street a couple of hundred yards from one of the main boulevards of the city so is very handy for the city centre. The street is not Park Lane but is quiet so there is no noisy traffic at all hours. My air conditioned room was comfortably spacious and clean with a very adequate bathroom en suite. Breakfast was buffet with english or continental style meals available with other meals taken in the garden restaurant al fresco with most tables in covered areas situated around the perimeter. Maybe I did not see the smallish garden area at its best but any inadequacies it might have had were greatly outweighed by the excellence of the food served. I always book b and b so that I can choose where to eat main meals but have to say I ate every time at the hotel. My only complaint was that I was unable to eat all of this wonderful food put before me due to the size of the portions which defeated me every time. If the foregoing has whetted your appetite it will be enhanced further when I tell you that it was incredibly good value for money and further still drinks were cheaper than anywhere else I drank. Finally it must be very good value because the local people ate and drank there. If you are looking for a moderately priced no frills hotel with access to city centre I recommend this hotel to you

• Stayed September 2012, travelled solo
Tadley, United Kingdom
Reviewed 6 September 2012

I have stayed at the Niky many times and is definitely my preferred hotel in Sofia. Good restaurant great breakfast and so nice to have the garden to sit in while eating. This trip we were only there for one night because of a booking mix up. The booking was for one night at the start of our journey and one night the end. For some reason they could not take the booking direct from me as I have previously done direct. I then booked with booking.com and could only get one of our dates. Room was good as always by ho dear the shower tray had a spilt in it (found when in shower with water on) flooded the floor. When I went to reception I was told that a new tray was coming. I was offered another room but I declined as we would be away in the morning. After several e-mails to Niky I did receive a genuine apology and a admission that the room should not have been let.

• Stayed August 2012, travelled on business
Rishon Lezion
Reviewed 18 August 2012

This is the hotel that I like to stay when in Sofia. Ir is not far from the Vitosha blvd., and also from the hristo Botev Blvd. The rooms are very clean, and nice, they are generally big and roomy, mostly suites of 2 rooms and prices are not so high as expected. Last time paid for a single with shower which was a very big room - 40euros a night.
There is a rstaurant in the garden of the hotel which serves very good food and also gives a 10% disount to the guests of the hotel. I had quite a lot of friends to visit me and we dined there with pleasure

• Stayed July 2012, travelled solo
Cary, NC
Reviewed 4 July 2012

I only spent one night here, as I was joining a tour group the next day. I arrived by taxi from the train station after dark, and since the area we drove through was deserted I ate dinner in the hotel restaurant. It seemed set up for large groups, and I felt out of place as a solo, but the food was good. My room, not so much.

I was glad I was only staying one night: My room had a sloped ceiling with a skylight and small, low window and felt claustrophobic. The screen on the AC had been pushed in. The shower door was broken and didn't close properly.

I stayed in September 2011.

• Stayed September 2011, travelled solo
1 Thank thursdaysd
Burgas, Bulgaria
Reviewed 25 June 2012

This was the second time I've stayed in this hotel. The previous time was during a winter and now it was during a heatwave. We booked a twin de-luxe room. The room was big with plenty of space and extra's e.g. kettle, coffee/tea etc, it also had a balcony and was at the back of the hotel so was quiet. Our only tiny issue was the air conditioner wasn't in the best spot to keep us as cool as we'd have liked at night. This may just have been our room as another guest in another room was fine. We asked at reception for a fan but they didn't have one. By the second night we were cooler after leaving the air con on constant since arrival. The restaurant is fantastic and we ate at the hotel for most meals. We sat outside in their garden which was lovely and shady. Breakfast was included in the price of the room and it was very, very good. I will use this hotel again as it's great value and in a good location.

• Stayed June 2012, travelled on business