“A real individual pearl in between the standard hotels”
Review of Sofia Residence

Sofia Residence
Ranked #41 of 133 Hotels in Sofia
Reviewed 28 April 2014

I really like that hotel. Very small, very individual, staff was really friendly and gave avery warm welcome. Nice little bar, breakfasts on the room like my choice was. The room was not big, but furnished with highly individual interior. Many small restaurants close by. I will definitely come back!

Stayed: February 2014, travelled on business
3  Thank Sebastian S

Reviewed 15 April 2014

On the upside the breakfast was excellent and room comfort and furnishings very tasteful.
I broke my stay here as I had some business to attend to elsewhere. So my first night in
the "penthouse suite" was very nice (though I think the title somewhat pretentious)
My return stay a few days later I was allocated a ground floor room. I arrived very late so
was keen to get some rest. But alongside my room was a neighbouring café/bar with music
going on till 1am. So on the following Sunday before my next day flight home, I'm thinking
its Sunday sure to be quiet. No way - music literally blasting out till 2am with a lot of shouting
and table banging. Also I couldn't get any joy at Reception to change rooms as there is NO
staff on Reception after 11.30pm until 7.30am!! so the hotel is locked for the night.
When I commented in the morning I wasn't even offered a complimentary coffee let alone a
refund for a very limited night's sleep before a long traveling day ahead.
I've stayed at a few boutique hotels now and while the concept has a lot of charm, I think in
future I'll stay with the tried and tested mainstream

Room Tip: Avoid any rooms facing the neighbouring café/bar if you want a quiet night. Also be sure to check...
  • Stayed: April 2014, travelled on business
3  Thank peter s
Reviewed 12 December 2013

It was nice, staff was polite. Loved the option to have breakfast in the room. The only negative part was the fireplace. We booked the room hoping to enjoy tea in front of the fire and it turned out (quite confusing) it was not working at all. Everything else was satisfactory. Would recommend it for business stays and city tourism.

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled as a couple
3  Thank Denitsa H
Reviewed 3 November 2013

We stayed twice at the beginning of our holiday in Bulgaria and at the very end. Three of the four rooms were magnificent and the fourth, on the very top floor, was wonderful but the access was tricky. We've never had such a spacious room as one that had separate bathroom and lounge and in addition a free standing, claw footed bath in an extension of the already generously sized bedroom. What a pity it was only for one night. The tiny lobby/reception area gave no clue as to the spacious rooms upstairs. Staff very pleasant. Very good restaurants in neighbourhood.

Not part of the review of the hotel but the Free Walking Tour of Sofia was excellent and opened up the city for us.

Stayed: October 2013, travelled with friends
5  Thank Ray Margaret G
Reviewed 11 October 2013

Have just returned from a 4 night stay at the Residence as with all others we found it to be charming and cosy. The staff were always friendly and helpful beyond what would normally be expected. A little side note for the Management we would recommend that as there is no Room Service that you would consider putting tea/coffee making facilities into each room/suite, only a minor thing as they did supply us a kettle when they realised it would be easier for us. We will be returning to both Sofia and the Residence in the future

Room Tip: Sredetz Suite is where we stayed cannot fault it
  • Stayed: October 2013, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Spencer4laura
Reviewed 29 August 2013

We were in town for a wedding and were looking for a boutique place close to the City center. Couldn't have wished for anything better. This charming townhouse-type hotel was just perfect. Our suite was spacious and perfectly equipped (including a fully-stuffed) bar, the staff was extremely helpful and eager to accommodate. The hotel is located on a charming quite street with numerous cafes and convenience stores. The city center (Alexander Nevsky Cathedral) is within 10-minute walk. Also, very reasonably priced, particularly as compared to Western European or US equivalents. Would definitely stay there next time we are in town.

Room Tip: Go for the attic
  • Stayed: July 2013, travelled as a couple
3  Thank IsraCane
Reviewed 23 May 2013

For a year I got to stay at this hotel many times for work. My boss got a room at the Oborishte one trip and told me that I had to request it on my next trip. It turned out to be an excellent find.

The people who work there are friendly. The breakfasts were always great for going into a sometimes long day at work. I stayed in many of the rooms in the hotel. They all looked nice, were clean, and were comfortable. The room right below the penthouse toward the back is probably my favorite. Though, in summer when a thunder storm rolls through, I would sit up in the penthouse and watch the storm while drinking wine. It was pretty excellent.

The neighborhood is excellent. Its changed even in the year I was there. There are lot trendy restaurants appearing. I passed a fancy-looking cheese and wine shop last time I was there.

I recently left my job for better things and won't get to go back for a while. These folks run a good hotel and they made my trips away from home excellent, so I am leaving a nice note. Thank you.

• Stayed: March 2013, travelled on business