“My Personal Haven”

Arena di Serdica Residence Hotel
Ranked #23 of 135 Hotels in Sofia
Reviewed 6 February 2011

I've stayed at this hotel quite a few times and can sincerely recommend it to any and every purpose. Even thought my visits to Sofia have been business related, when returning to my hotel, I almost feel like being on a vacation.

The atmosphere of the hotel in general is very relaxing - the decor in rooms happen to fit precisely to my taste. Rooms are large, beds comfortable - and who wouldn't like to have their own spa-like bathroom..? Also, the rooms are perfect for working (good/ok internet connection & spacious table etc.) If I could ask someting more, that would be coffee/tea facilities in the room.

The staff at the hotel are extremely professional and friendly and they have very good sensitivity on how to adjust to customer's expectations. I personally appreciate this a lot, since I've stayed my share at the Hiltons & Sheratons where you're lucky to get a smile from the receptionist.

The hotel has a restaurant, but I haven't tried that since the menu doesn't sound very tempting. It would though, in any other country, but I happen to be fan of traditional Bulgarian cuisine.. The buffet breakfast seems nice. When I have time for breakfast, I usually order it in room & it has been always very good.

Location of the hotel was propaby reason for my first visit. It is very central, but still in a quiet part of the centre. Previous reviewer mentioned a night club and noice related to that. I didn't even realise there is a night club & I also stayed there on weekend. I guess it depends where your room is located.

Only minus for Arena di Serdica is that every other hotel is a disappointment after staying here.. for example the hotel where I'm currently writing this review.

• Stayed: February 2011, travelled on business
1  Thank AM8062

Reviewed 5 February 2011

We stayed in this hotel in November 2010 and had a really lovely stay. The name of the hotel is the original name of Sofia and is built over and around original foundations of ancient buildings. This makes a really spectacular entrance and lobby area. The staff were extremely friendly and helpful and the standard of decor and bedrooms was what you would expect from a 5 star hotel in Eastern Europe. The only downside is that the hotel is built next door to a basement nightclub and if you stay there over the weekend there is no escaping the extremely loud banging of the bass from the nightclub. We were moved to 3 different rooms and eventually the sound was less audible but still irritating. However, if you are a clubber this would be ideal as you can go to the club and just walk next door to get home! Overall though, this is a great place to stay.

• Stayed: November 2010, travelled on business
1  Thank Shazmar
Reviewed 30 November 2010

I travel a lot on business and for pleasure and am used to luxury hotels so was a bit sceptical about the 5-star rating of the hotel in Bulgaria BUT this hotel was trully special:

1. I was having difficulties making reservations for opera and a visit to Riia monastery. The hotel manager has taken it upon herself to make the reservations for both venues. I got really great value and a great deal on price!

2. Hotel staff is impecable - very friendly, always trying to solve your issues/questions.

3. Rooms - very nice and luxurious. I loved the bathroom with a huge tub and a seperate shower. Reminded me the style of Hyatt.

4. Food - fois gras, veal carpacio, awsome breakfast. The prices are laughable (eg I would put it close to 1 Michellin star quality with 1/5th of the price)! Also I was a bit suprised when I was not charged when I ordered breakfast in the room. Apparently, you do not get charged if it is before 7.30am on weekend. I thought that was a bit strange - usually you would pay more?

5. Location and facilities - perfect location, close to everything in the old town (which made all the difference for me since I was there on a short break). The hotel also has a very neat crypt that they have uncovered when the hotel was being built so they have built the hotel around it and you can see the crypt, preserved in the middle of the hotel

6. Transport - get the transport from the hotel. 20 Euros each way, very convenient and a great driver!

I would come back in a heart beat!

• Stayed: November 2010, travelled solo
Reviewed 4 October 2010

We had a great time at this hotel, which is built over a ruin of an early Roman structure. Rooms were spacious and comfortable and the hotel is located on a quiet side street, across from the Goethe Institute, and literally steps away from museums and shops. Lots of trees around and one of Sofia's very good restaurants is in the hotel. Staff very accommodating and helpful.

• Stayed: October 2010
Reviewed 27 August 2010

Perfectly located in central Sofia, the hotel is extremely beautiful, built on ancient ruins that are the setting to the lobby. Rooms are remarkably spacious - when I checked in there was no standard room available so I good a beautiful three room suite for the same price. It had an enormous marble bathroom with a huge shower abd bathtub, all impeccably clean. Staff was very friendly and breakfast was good.
However, it's Bulgaria - there were no water (!!) on the whole floor the night I arrived, no TV in the whole hotel for that night, burnt light bulbs in the room.. Workout facilities are modern and nice. The gym is vacant most of the day and so is the spa.
Overall, not a bad option and value, but expect some flaws

• Stayed: August 2010, travelled on business
Reviewed 16 July 2010

The hotel is stuated right next to the centre , although the street at the back looks like a slum area. Nevertheless the area looks safe and we never had problems. The service is very professional and is excellent, the rooms and linen spick and span. The only reason I gave this hotel 4 stars instead of 5 is because of the relatively poor breakfast, I've been to 4 star hotels with a much greater variety for its breakfast (and this hotel is rated 5*).

Stayed: January 2010, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 7 June 2010

I should not drag about the breakfast. And the first morning the breakfast was really, really good. It was only on Sunday morning when we came down after a large tourist group had left that the buffet was not that fabulous anymore. Staff were annoyed and not really willing to bring eggs, cheese, fruit, etc. . They all looked like they had a bad hangover. That suddenly changed when their boss showed up...
Apart from that, the hotel is a very solid value. Big, clean rooms, shower and WC in separate rooms, free WiFi, quiet area and helpful staff at front desk. Wonderfully firm mattresses, large selection of TV programs and a wellness center with nice facilities (sauna, steam bath, etc.). We had massages twice and they were both good and worth the money (EUR40/hour).
The fact that the hotel is built on top of ancient roman ruins does not make you sleep better. But it is a nice plus for this hotel. Location is good in a quiet side street with no thru traffic, city center is very easy to reach on foot. All in all: a solid value.

• Stayed: May 2010, travelled as a couple