“It is just OK”

Ranked #97 of 131 Hotels in Sofia
Bremen, Germany
“It is just OK”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 September 2013

We didn't have many problems with this hotel, it was just not particularly awesome either.
The carpet and the fridge in the rooms didn't look very clean (I wouldn't recommend to go barefoot in the rooms), the bathroom however looked beautiful and perfect (thank God).

When I arrived into my room the smell was a bit old and musty, had to open the window to make it go away, and the windowsill was quite dirty with bird excrements, so not a very nice thing to do either.

I got the bed done and the towels changed on the first morning, but not on the second. Not a big deal, only you don't really know what to expect. The toilet paper roll also was almost empty, and there wasn't a new one.

Breakfast is OK. We got pancakes on the first and third morning, not on the second, and the lady said she couldn't make any.
Once I said I didn't need the ham and cheese platter that they serve you (I was going to eat more outside later), and she didn't bring any to my friend either, though I didn't speak for him.

My friend arrived one day before me, and was given a very small room, with a tiny bathroom, and then moved on the second night. Only after he complained a little, they made him pay a little less than agreed for the first night.

All in all, it isn't a particularly cheap stay, so the quality could be a bit better. The biggest upside was the very central position, which made up for all these little inconveniences.

• Stayed August 2013, travelled with friends

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (10)
  • Greek first
  • Hungarian first
London, United Kingdom
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 September 2013

Well where to start, Air conditioning not working, fridge dirty and iced up, carpets haven't been vacuumed for God knows how long, solid floors also dirty, beds not made in the morning, bin for toilet paper not touched so room stank of 'you know what', all light and plug fittings either loose or hanging off, no wifi (as was stated we will have) dark, dank rooms, .... shall I go on, no don't think so as we are still in holiday mode and all I wanted to do was warn anyone from booking this crap hole. Oh yes, didn't mention the holes in the bed linen, all of which we have the photos to prove. I got bitten to pieces and thought that it was something living in my bed, as my Husband wasn't touched, but when pulling the bedding apart to investigate it was clean and it was the poxy Mozzies biting me to death because we had to have the windows open because of no Air conditioning, thereafter the windows remained shut and we roasted. To think we left our house without one bite and I had a very swollen knee and arm, that's apart from the numerous others bites. Oh yes, when we arrived the girl on reception laughed when she realised we had yet more luggage apart from the one hand luggage and suitcase, yes times two, then proceeded to say your on the third floor, which we didn't realise the third floor was via a very thin wooden staircase, couldn't get two people side by side. My Husband had to carry said luggage times two 23kg's, it nearly killed him. Oh yeah forgot to mention the girl did say we could leave our luggage in a room next to reception which in fact is a through room that even public have access to, nah don't think so. Although we did complain about the non existent Air conditioning nothing was done of course. Have to say the staff were unsmiling and unhelpful, although we started off positive and trying our best Bulgarian I couldn't be asked the next day.
Ah forgot to say this place is a fire hazard, three floors up a very narrow wooden staircase, if there had been a fire we would never had survived and we were above the kitchen, it would be condemned in this country and should be in Bulgaria considering they have taken out the fire exit, there are outside metal steps that now lead to nowhere, but hey, you can cram more people in then can't you. Forgot to say it was 40 steps up to our floor.

Room Tip: There isn't one, and what we booked we didn't get.
  • Stayed August 2013, travelled as a couple
3 Thank Jax L

Travellers are raving about these Sofia hotels

Madrid, Spain
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 August 2013

The relation quality-price is ok... Location is very good, city center and close by the main street. its clean and breakfast is ok (except because of the waitress who is not nice)

What i didnt like is that the room is too dark, you have to turn on the light even in the day, in fact is a bit depress. Toilet is new but smell bad.

I didnt like it, i guess for the same price is better options.

Room Tip: Book it if it is not for a long stay. The stairs too the room are too high so not recommendable with...
  • Stayed August 2013, travelled as a couple
Brasov, Romania
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 July 2013

We stayed in the only apartment of this hotel, which was large and clean and could accommodate up to 5 persons. The place is excellently located in downtown Sofia, with a parking spot included. Breakfast is also included and is very diverse.

• Stayed June 2013, travelled with friends
Key Largo, Florida
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 June 2013

This is an excellent location in Sofia. Half a block from the Palace of Culture and main park in center of the city. There is no lift---and the stairs are quite narrow (it is truly an old house), but the price and location make it worthwhile. It was also very quiet---with some limited parking in the rear. Breakfast was excellent and included eggs to order, fresh vegetables, fruit, crepes, cereal, breads and typical European meats. The staff were friendly. My only complaint was there were a few lightbulbs out (and I always forgot to tell them--). You should also know the "shower" is the entire bathroom---no separate stall. Was not a problem for me as I was alone---and the water drained quite well as the floor is pitched properly. A bit different---but that's why we travel!!!

• Stayed May 2013, travelled on business
2 Thank Becky037
Doha, Qatar
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 April 2013

This hotel is very centrally located and close to Vitosha Boulevard. It's quite small and we didn't stay in the main building, our suite was in the building next door which looks like your typical eastern European apartment building. The entry didn't give a great first impression, very dark and some graffiti to welcome you, but the room itself was fine. It was very clean and comfortable but the decor was interesting and a bit dated and dark. The restaurant was fantastic, and just what we hoped for in traditional cuisine. Great staff and excellent value, just needs a little updating.

• Stayed May 2012, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Meena L
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 February 2013 via mobile

I stayed at this hotel for only one day. Despite that, I really enjoyed to be there. This hotel is very central located, walking distance from Vitosha Boulevard. It is not a classical hotel, there are only few rooms, the stairs are quite strange. But, the room was nice, clean, bed very comfortable, toillets of a good quality. And there is a fantastic Bulgarian yogurt for breakfast.

• Stayed January 2013