“An Oasis close to the main road”
Review of Hotel The House

Hotel The House
Ranked #90 of 133 Hotels in Sofia
Merstham, United Kingdom
“An Oasis close to the main road”
Reviewed 28 September 2013

We had a lovely week with excellent food and attentive staff. Very helpful with advice about where to go. Recommend the tour to Rila Monastery and Boyana Church with Traventuria Ltd. Also the free walking tour and the pub crawl was very interesting. Favourite restaurants are Lubimoto, where Vladi served us an excellent chicken meal which was perfect and the authentic Bulgarian restaurant Chevermeto with traditional dancing!

• Stayed August 2013, travelled with friends

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (10)
  • Greek first
  • Hungarian first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Thessaloniki, Greece
Reviewed 9 September 2013

This is a small hotel in the heart of Sofia. It's main advantage is the position and the existence of a free parking. The rooms were spacious and clean.
Breakfast was mediocre. The courtyard of the hotel seemed neglected (maybe because it was March and nobody was sitting outside) but the first impression of the hotel was this and it was not very inviting.
Overall it is a good, budget option if you want to be right by Vitosha Boulevard but it has not many to offer as a hotel.

• Stayed March 2013, travelled with friends
Reviewed 8 September 2013 via mobile

I spent one night on my way to Veliko Tarnvo.

The check in took a little while. The room smelled of cigarettes but I was assured it was a non-smoking room!

However, Ivan at the reception was extremely helpful. He even helped me with my suitcase to my room!

I asked for best way to book and travel to hotel if I wanted to book again before my flight out of Sofia and Ivan suggested I catch metro as taxi drivers often rip people off and are aggressive so best to catch metro to hotel and taxi to airport which he will help arrange. I experienced the aggressiveness when I arrived into Sofia. It was nice to get honest advice and travel tips! Taxi to airport approximately 17 leva and to bus station 7 leva!

Breakfast is simple but enough to get you started. The fetta was delicious.

In terms if location, very close to shopping strip and bars / cafes if you looking for convenience all accessible within 5 minutes by foot!

ATM a minutes walk away!

Basic and good value for money.

• Stayed September 2013
Bremen, Germany
Reviewed 3 September 2013

We didn't have many problems with this hotel, it was just not particularly awesome either.
The carpet and the fridge in the rooms didn't look very clean (I wouldn't recommend to go barefoot in the rooms), the bathroom however looked beautiful and perfect (thank God).

When I arrived into my room the smell was a bit old and musty, had to open the window to make it go away, and the windowsill was quite dirty with bird excrements, so not a very nice thing to do either.

I got the bed done and the towels changed on the first morning, but not on the second. Not a big deal, only you don't really know what to expect. The toilet paper roll also was almost empty, and there wasn't a new one.

Breakfast is OK. We got pancakes on the first and third morning, not on the second, and the lady said she couldn't make any.
Once I said I didn't need the ham and cheese platter that they serve you (I was going to eat more outside later), and she didn't bring any to my friend either, though I didn't speak for him.

My friend arrived one day before me, and was given a very small room, with a tiny bathroom, and then moved on the second night. Only after he complained a little, they made him pay a little less than agreed for the first night.

All in all, it isn't a particularly cheap stay, so the quality could be a bit better. The biggest upside was the very central position, which made up for all these little inconveniences.

• Stayed August 2013, travelled with friends
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 1 September 2013

Well where to start, Air conditioning not working, fridge dirty and iced up, carpets haven't been vacuumed for God knows how long, solid floors also dirty, beds not made in the morning, bin for toilet paper not touched so room stank of 'you know what', all light and plug fittings either loose or hanging off, no wifi (as was stated we will have) dark, dank rooms, .... shall I go on, no don't think so as we are still in holiday mode and all I wanted to do was warn anyone from booking this crap hole. Oh yes, didn't mention the holes in the bed linen, all of which we have the photos to prove. I got bitten to pieces and thought that it was something living in my bed, as my Husband wasn't touched, but when pulling the bedding apart to investigate it was clean and it was the poxy Mozzies biting me to death because we had to have the windows open because of no Air conditioning, thereafter the windows remained shut and we roasted. To think we left our house without one bite and I had a very swollen knee and arm, that's apart from the numerous others bites. Oh yes, when we arrived the girl on reception laughed when she realised we had yet more luggage apart from the one hand luggage and suitcase, yes times two, then proceeded to say your on the third floor, which we didn't realise the third floor was via a very thin wooden staircase, couldn't get two people side by side. My Husband had to carry said luggage times two 23kg's, it nearly killed him. Oh yeah forgot to mention the girl did say we could leave our luggage in a room next to reception which in fact is a through room that even public have access to, nah don't think so. Although we did complain about the non existent Air conditioning nothing was done of course. Have to say the staff were unsmiling and unhelpful, although we started off positive and trying our best Bulgarian I couldn't be asked the next day.
Ah forgot to say this place is a fire hazard, three floors up a very narrow wooden staircase, if there had been a fire we would never had survived and we were above the kitchen, it would be condemned in this country and should be in Bulgaria considering they have taken out the fire exit, there are outside metal steps that now lead to nowhere, but hey, you can cram more people in then can't you. Forgot to say it was 40 steps up to our floor.

Room Tip: There isn't one, and what we booked we didn't get.
  • Stayed August 2013, travelled as a couple
3 Thank Jax L

Travellers are raving about these Sofia hotels

Madrid, Spain
Reviewed 26 August 2013

The relation quality-price is ok... Location is very good, city center and close by the main street. its clean and breakfast is ok (except because of the waitress who is not nice)

What i didnt like is that the room is too dark, you have to turn on the light even in the day, in fact is a bit depress. Toilet is new but smell bad.

I didnt like it, i guess for the same price is better options.

Room Tip: Book it if it is not for a long stay. The stairs too the room are too high so not recommendable with...
  • Stayed August 2013, travelled as a couple
Brasov, Romania
Reviewed 1 July 2013

We stayed in the only apartment of this hotel, which was large and clean and could accommodate up to 5 persons. The place is excellently located in downtown Sofia, with a parking spot included. Breakfast is also included and is very diverse.

• Stayed June 2013, travelled with friends