“It's good enough”

and 1 more site!
Hotel The House
Ranked #76 of 135 Hotels in Sofia
Reviewed 3 February 2014

If you need a romantic getaway with your girl or you're used to luxury hotels, this is not a place for you, but I guess you knew this already since those hotels are not so cheap.

So for you dear Business traveler/student/group of friends on a budget, this is a hotel right in the center of Sofia, near Vitosha street. That means that everything is worth to be seen and your business meetings are probably in walking distance and most probably under 5 minutes.

The hotel itself it's decent. Most of the rooms are in a back building and it's a bit dark in the night, but totally safe, at least from my experience. It has a closed free parking area and free wifi in the rooms ( even if the signal is not so strong ).

The beds are comfortable, the room itself and the bathroom are spacious, but in general, things inside the room are old, so you might notice some spots of rust in the bathroom, some scratches and things out of place, here and there in the room.

The cleanliness is mediocre to good. We spotted a few spider webs on the ceiling, so you can tell that the room is not receiving a meticulous cleaning, but not in a way that annoys you too much.
If they can pay more attention to that, this hotel it will be top notch.

Room Tip: make sure that you make a reservation before you arrive if you need to use the Parking area.
  • Stayed: January 2014, travelled on business
1  Thank Zoroklou

Reviewed 21 October 2013

When looking for a hotel for a night stay in Sofia I chose this because of it's proximity to central Sofia and not too far from the airport for an early morning transfer. The location worked out well as it is only a block away from the start of the main pedestrian walkway with lots of shops and cafes.

When I arrived I discovered they were overbooked for the night, a potential nightmare. I get the feeling that this happens a fair number of times as conveniently there was a man in the lobby who had an apartment in an adjacent building that was available. The 1 bedroom apartment was fantastic with a separate bedroom, living and dining rooms and modern kitchen but they were insistent that I pay the difference in price between what I booked and the 'value' of the apartment. Granted it was only 8 euros more but I stood my ground and they reluctantly gave me the apartment for what I booked a room at The House for.

As mentioned the apartment was fantastic, had free wifi, 2 large flat screen TV's with a great selection of channels and the kitchen allowed me to make my own breakfast before the 5am taxi to the airport. If you are thinking of staying at The House and wish to have considerably nicer accommodations maybe you can check with them in advance to see if an apartment is available. The apartment owner was not able to accept payment with credit card nor was The House able to accept payment for the owner with their credit card reader.

My 'average' rating pertains more to what I perceived as a swindle to get guests to pay more for a nicer property than what was booked and not a rating for The House, as I don't have any experience with its' condition. The hostess that I worked with spoke good English and arranged an early taxi ride to the airport for me.

I don't know that I would stay at The House again but I'd probably check in advance to see if there is an apartment available.

Room Tip: Ratings are based on an adjacent apartment, NOT at The House Hotel. If you can arrange an apartment...
  • Stayed: October 2013, travelled solo
1  Thank RASHERRY
Reviewed 28 September 2013

We had a lovely week with excellent food and attentive staff. Very helpful with advice about where to go. Recommend the tour to Rila Monastery and Boyana Church with Traventuria Ltd. Also the free walking tour and the pub crawl was very interesting. Favourite restaurants are Lubimoto, where Vladi served us an excellent chicken meal which was perfect and the authentic Bulgarian restaurant Chevermeto with traditional dancing!

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled with friends
Reviewed 9 September 2013

This is a small hotel in the heart of Sofia. It's main advantage is the position and the existence of a free parking. The rooms were spacious and clean.
Breakfast was mediocre. The courtyard of the hotel seemed neglected (maybe because it was March and nobody was sitting outside) but the first impression of the hotel was this and it was not very inviting.
Overall it is a good, budget option if you want to be right by Vitosha Boulevard but it has not many to offer as a hotel.

• Stayed: March 2013, travelled with friends
Reviewed 8 September 2013 via mobile

I spent one night on my way to Veliko Tarnvo.

The check in took a little while. The room smelled of cigarettes but I was assured it was a non-smoking room!

However, Ivan at the reception was extremely helpful. He even helped me with my suitcase to my room!

I asked for best way to book and travel to hotel if I wanted to book again before my flight out of Sofia and Ivan suggested I catch metro as taxi drivers often rip people off and are aggressive so best to catch metro to hotel and taxi to airport which he will help arrange. I experienced the aggressiveness when I arrived into Sofia. It was nice to get honest advice and travel tips! Taxi to airport approximately 17 leva and to bus station 7 leva!

Breakfast is simple but enough to get you started. The fetta was delicious.

In terms if location, very close to shopping strip and bars / cafes if you looking for convenience all accessible within 5 minutes by foot!

ATM a minutes walk away!

Basic and good value for money.

• Stayed: September 2013
Reviewed 3 September 2013

We didn't have many problems with this hotel, it was just not particularly awesome either.
The carpet and the fridge in the rooms didn't look very clean (I wouldn't recommend to go barefoot in the rooms), the bathroom however looked beautiful and perfect (thank God).

When I arrived into my room the smell was a bit old and musty, had to open the window to make it go away, and the windowsill was quite dirty with bird excrements, so not a very nice thing to do either.

I got the bed done and the towels changed on the first morning, but not on the second. Not a big deal, only you don't really know what to expect. The toilet paper roll also was almost empty, and there wasn't a new one.

Breakfast is OK. We got pancakes on the first and third morning, not on the second, and the lady said she couldn't make any.
Once I said I didn't need the ham and cheese platter that they serve you (I was going to eat more outside later), and she didn't bring any to my friend either, though I didn't speak for him.

My friend arrived one day before me, and was given a very small room, with a tiny bathroom, and then moved on the second night. Only after he complained a little, they made him pay a little less than agreed for the first night.

All in all, it isn't a particularly cheap stay, so the quality could be a bit better. The biggest upside was the very central position, which made up for all these little inconveniences.

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled with friends
Reviewed 1 September 2013

Well where to start, Air conditioning not working, fridge dirty and iced up, carpets haven't been vacuumed for God knows how long, solid floors also dirty, beds not made in the morning, bin for toilet paper not touched so room stank of 'you know what', all light and plug fittings either loose or hanging off, no wifi (as was stated we will have) dark, dank rooms, .... shall I go on, no don't think so as we are still in holiday mode and all I wanted to do was warn anyone from booking this crap hole. Oh yes, didn't mention the holes in the bed linen, all of which we have the photos to prove. I got bitten to pieces and thought that it was something living in my bed, as my Husband wasn't touched, but when pulling the bedding apart to investigate it was clean and it was the poxy Mozzies biting me to death because we had to have the windows open because of no Air conditioning, thereafter the windows remained shut and we roasted. To think we left our house without one bite and I had a very swollen knee and arm, that's apart from the numerous others bites. Oh yes, when we arrived the girl on reception laughed when she realised we had yet more luggage apart from the one hand luggage and suitcase, yes times two, then proceeded to say your on the third floor, which we didn't realise the third floor was via a very thin wooden staircase, couldn't get two people side by side. My Husband had to carry said luggage times two 23kg's, it nearly killed him. Oh yeah forgot to mention the girl did say we could leave our luggage in a room next to reception which in fact is a through room that even public have access to, nah don't think so. Although we did complain about the non existent Air conditioning nothing was done of course. Have to say the staff were unsmiling and unhelpful, although we started off positive and trying our best Bulgarian I couldn't be asked the next day.
Ah forgot to say this place is a fire hazard, three floors up a very narrow wooden staircase, if there had been a fire we would never had survived and we were above the kitchen, it would be condemned in this country and should be in Bulgaria considering they have taken out the fire exit, there are outside metal steps that now lead to nowhere, but hey, you can cram more people in then can't you. Forgot to say it was 40 steps up to our floor.

Room Tip: There isn't one, and what we booked we didn't get.
  • Stayed: August 2013, travelled as a couple