“Best hostel in Zagreb!” 5 of 5 bubbles

Hostel Mali Mrak
Ranked #8 of 150 Speciality Lodging in Zagreb
“Best hostel in Zagreb!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 July 2014

Great staff, location and facilities. The guys'll help you with whatever you need, and make you feel at home at the same time.

The rooms are worm and the kitchen is ok to cook, wich is good if you are travelling on a low budget, also the room price is not expensive.

• Stayed August 2013, travelled with friends
GnomeZagreb, Owner at Hostel Mali Mrak, responded to this review, 30 July 2014
Thanks! Update: there's an additional, outside summer kitchen now :=)

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (10)
London
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 July 2014

As a big group, we all enjoyed our stay here. It wasn't in the city, but it was only a short tram away. The staff were very friendly and helpful. It's a very quiet neighbourhood and the staff really respect this- We were asked to be quiet at around 9pm for talking slightly loud in the garden. So it is definitely a place to go and chill and not a party hostel. Perfect place for lone travellers or small groups to meet other people from all over the world. The rooms themselves were decent and the hostel felt more like a massive house than seperate dorms which was different from any others we stayed in.

• Stayed June 2014
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
GnomeZagreb, Owner at Hostel Mali Mrak, responded to this review, 26 July 2014
Yes sir, exactly :D! Quiet place, not a party hostel, that's us :) I like your review, but i do have to make a correction: Quiet time is after 22:00, not 21:00, and if you were asked to be quiet, it's because people from England are usually really loud (sorry, but that's a fact :D), so your perception of " talking slightly loud" would be "quite loud" in ours. We have no other choice, even if we wanted, because the police regulates these issues very precisely!

Thanks for staying!
Kaiserslautern, Germany
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 July 2014 via mobile

I mean that title literally. I've traveled all over Europe and Africa and stayed at more hostels than I can count, and if I had to pick one place to go back to, it would be Mali Mrak. I planned to stay one night on my way to the coast but ended up staying a week the first time, and barely left the hostel because I was enjoying drinking wine in the garden with the staff and other guests too much to leave. I came back through on my way out of the Balkans and got stuck nearly another week because I couldn't make myself leave. I wanted to live there forever. If you've been on the road a long time and need a place to recover your sanity, I can't recommend this place more highly.

Stayed May 2014, travelled solo
3 Thank Cidmonster
GnomeZagreb, Owner at Hostel Mali Mrak, responded to this review, 26 July 2014
High praise, dear Cid :) We're glad you came, and stayed and came again. But i think there's a lot of "best places in the world" :) We are expecting you!
Haskovo, Bulgaria
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 July 2014

I stayed at Mali Mrak for a few nights in the spring (2014) and have been recommending it to friends going to Zagreb every since. Igor and company have created a warm, welcoming environment that fosters community. The staff was helpful and kind, the rooms were great, and the location away of the noise of the city center. I will absolutely stay here again next time I'm in town.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled solo
1 Thank Sam A
GnomeZagreb, Owner at Hostel Mali Mrak, responded to this review, 26 July 2014
Thank you Sam, for being part of the community, and the nice review :)
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 July 2014

As someone who has stayed at dozens of hostels in the past few years, I can honestly say that Mali Mrak is among the best I've seen. It is constantly being renovated, very clean, afforably priced, and has a fantastic atmosphere; all that, though, pales in comparison to it's most positive aspect: the people. The owner is without question the warmest and most welcoming I've encountered, and everyone working there couldn't be more pleasant. During my stay I was treated to a free hiking tour and a delicious homemade meal. I honestly cannot recommend this hostel highly enough.

And in regards to comments other reviewers have left about the hostel being a place full of "scary drugs", I will only say that I saw nothing of the sort during my time at Mali Mrak.

• Stayed May 2014
2 Thank JakeStone00
GnomeZagreb, Owner at Hostel Mali Mrak, responded to this review, 26 July 2014
Thanks for the support, Jake. The issue has been solved. Turned out to be a somewhat problematic girl. You are always welcome here.
Gvozd, Croatia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 July 2014

My friends and I stay there twice.
the hostel is situated in a quite part of the city, maybe not in the center however it's in a good position. Igor is a good host, open to hepl you and to suggest you the best places of the city. all was great!

• Stayed March 2014, travelled with friends
      Sleep Quality
GnomeZagreb, Owner at Hostel Mali Mrak, responded to this review, 26 July 2014
Thank you! I am quite surprised about your perspective on location, it's really refreshing :D We are definitely NOT in the city center (to anyone reading this), just a very common residential area, but we really like the place - it's part of what Mali Mrak is.
Cordoba, Argentina
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 July 2014

i spent one amazing week in this super cool and relaxed hostel. Was a super nice surprise to receive a personalized mail from his owner after i made my reservation with some instructions to find the place and a warm welcomed to zagreb. I had the best time there, the place is super clean and it's full of art and nice details that make the atmosphere a unique one. Igor introduced me his really nice friend Anna who makes awesome massages, and the people who was working there was completely polite and nice.One of the things I liked the most was the location: the hostel is not in the turistic area but you can be in the main square in minutes by tramway, and, at the same time, you can walk around the hostel and see how is a normal neighborhood of Zagreb.
We shared home made pasta, rainy afternoons and good coffees. After my days there, Igor gave me really helpful information about other places in croatia (ohhh Hvar in winter is incredible!), and even a great contact with a old lady who runs a little guest house in the national park of Plitvice who saved my days there. nothing else than great memories from the Malik hostel, one of the best places i've stayed in my one-year trip around europe. See you guys, somewhere, somehow!

Room Tip: rooms on the second floor: the silence was just perfect.