“Well worth a visit”

Ranked #21 of 902 Restaurants in Zagreb
Price range: US$7 - US$16
Cuisines: Barbecue, Croatian
Dining options: After-hours, Breakfast, Delivery, Reservations
Description: The restaurant Lanterna na Dolcu (Lanterna at the Dolac Market) was opened on 10 September 2010 in the magical atmosphere of an old manor. Brothers Tomislav and Ivan shared the same vision from the beginning - to offer traditional Zagreb food at reasonable prices at a restaurant with a pleasant family vibe. It wasn't long before word about the Lanterna restaurant at the Dolac Market spread all the way to London. Every morning, we get ingredients from Dolac ladies called kumice who sell their produce at the market and we guarantee that each food item used in our kitchen is fresh. The restaurant is located in one of the oldest streets in the city's old centre, in an over 300 years old basement. The restaurant's vaulted ceiling with brickwork that nicely stands out creates a unique and warm atmosphere. It is here that supreme pleasures of traditional Zagreb cuisine blend with scents of history and city legends. Our goal was to combine modern and traditional in both the interior design and on the plate so we browsed through an old cookbook from 1854 that we found in the Zagreb City Museum, looking for ideas. We did not want to exclude authentic Croatian tastes from our dishes, but we also added some unique ingredients to all our traditional menu items.
Reviewed 3 weeks ago

Lanterna na Dolcu is located about half way up Opatovina and the next street east Zagreb’s busy “beer street”: Tkalciceva. Its location means it doesn’t get the same passing trade - which is a shame as it is an excellent place to eat - but means for a more relaxed evening. I dined there twice on my three night Zagreb stay, having been slightly disappointed with the street food type fare I had in “beer street”.

Particular highlights for me were the cheese platter starter, pork tenderloin stuffed with plums in a plum sauce with pappardelle pasta and a dessert of mousse topped with crushed ‘cookies’ and cocoa powder. A couple of bottles of Karlovačko Retro beer went well. I should also mention the prices are very competitive.

Good service was provided by three friendly waiters: a cheerful guy, a laid back guy and a really young guy – all speaking excellent English.

You will not be disappointed – unless you turn up at lunchtime when it does not open.

Write a ReviewReviews (1,063)

Reviewed 4 weeks ago via mobile

I went for a solo dinner.
I was welcomed by a young and cute waiter. He was efficient and everybody very friendly. I ordered beef. The dish was fancy, not super abundant but every bite was a pleasure. I recomend it!

Reviewed 4 weeks ago via mobile

The waiters was polite and they know very good english and they gave some advice about wine and food.Beefsteak was nice.We ate inside.

Reviewed 14 June 2018 via mobile

My family traveled to Zagreb from the US with my Brother’s family, also from the US. His wife is from Zagreb and still has family there. We got together with other family and friends for a celebration in their room downstairs. The staff were wonderful, friendly, and attentive. The food was perfect. The beef dishes included chicken Cordon Bleu, veal and pork. The gnocchi was fabulous and salad was fresh. They let us bring in a cake from a special local bakery. I can’t imagine a better place for our celebration. My brother paid for dinner, so ask him about the $$$. Haha.

Reviewed 5 June 2018 via mobile

Very nice restaurant .the waiters was very fast and very very helpful with us .i will be back again for sure