“Overrated hotel, subpar service”

Esplanade Zagreb Hotel
Ranked #1 of 59 Hotels in Zagreb
chicago
“Overrated hotel, subpar service”
Reviewed 23 October 2011

This is one of the very few times I strongly disagree with the majority of tripadvisor reviews. This gorgeous hotel is in a wonderful location, and the rooms are beautiful, but my praise ends there. This hotel has a long history and a litany of famous guests- I assume that is why the service is so poor and the staff so indifferent to guests needs. From the moment my husband and I checked in, the staff was unpleasant and unhelpful. At one point, we asked the concierge to call a tour we were planning on attending. The concierge did so, and found that the number was disconnected. And that was that. There was no offer to help us find an alternate tour, no recommendations, no help of any kind. Also, unlike any other hotel I have encountered in Europe, Regent Esplande did not include breakfast in the price of the room. It was 20 euros per person, which is obscene even for a 5 star hotel. Perhaps I am not the right guest for this hotel- one of the famous amenities is the heated marble floors in the bathroom. While the bathroom was certainly beautiful, I think a heated floor is completely superflous, and adds nothing to the quality of my stay. I'll take friendly service and a warm atmosphere any day over such perks. To be fair- the price is very good for a 5 star hotel. (though parking was very expensive)

Room Tip: A basic room was very large. I don't see any reason to spring for a suite.
  • Stayed September 2011, travelled as a couple
GM-Regent-Esplanade, General Manager at Esplanade Zagreb Hotel, responded to this review, 24 October 2011
Golly, we sure rattled your cage but I really am so sorry we clearly let ourselves down here. As you can see fom other reviews, our service levels have a pretty good reputation but we don't profess to be perfect and I do encourage anyone to get in touch with me - stand in the middle of the lobby and shout if necessary - if things aren't going your way. We're in the hospitality business and we just want you to be happy, it's that simple. But no excuses, if we didn't deliver, it's just not good enough.

A word about the breakfast - we do have breakfast-included rates available, all the time. But we respect that some guests don't want these so we have room only rates available too. There's no small print, no deceit, we just want you to have the choice. A less expensive breakfast option is also available in the Bistro and we do advertise that fairly visibly in the lobby.

I agree with you, friendliness beats everything hands down and it's what we try to do and, again, I'm sorry we appeared to so grumpy when you were here.

Do feel free to shout at me retrospectively.
Philip

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (309)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Serbian first
  • Turkish first
Belgrade
Reviewed 20 October 2011

I have kept returing to the RE and I'm happy to report that they have still not managed to disappoint me. It's still one of my favorite hotels.
The only thing I would comment on is that they really need to invest in new TV sets, as it kind of ruins the otherwise premium quality of the rooms.

• Stayed October 2011, travelled on business
1 Thank moncic
GM-Regent-Esplanade, General Manager at Esplanade Zagreb Hotel, responded to this review, 23 October 2011
Thanks for the review and it's fantastic to hear we still manage to get it right for you, that's always much more difficult! The TVs - I know, I know - our owners have promised me they'll be changed very soon and we are just waiting on sign-off on the new ones.
Bratislava, Slovakia
Reviewed 19 October 2011

I was amazed by this hotel. I've tried few hotels in Zagreb before, but I have been surprised that for a similar price I can also get the splendid opulence of the Regent Esplanade. The hotel is very nice historical building located in the city center next to the main railway station. The rooms are very nice with hard wood furniture, comfortable beds, silent air conditioning and all marble bathroom.The breakfast selection is good with the key highlight being special items, which you can order for free - various types of omelets or pancakes. It should be noted that the hotel restaurant is one of the best restaurants in town, in not the best out of best. Still can't believe that I have paid less than 100 EUR per night with breakfast in this hotel.

• Stayed October 2011, travelled on business
1 Thank Ivo D
Thanks for the review. Good to hear that all was well and I hope we've converted you for future visits to Zagreb now. Regarding your note about breakfast, we serve all hot dishes from the kitchen rather than from a buffet because we think the quality is better this way. We have a menu to act as a guide but we're always willing to go off-piste for those who like something different. I'm biased of course, but I've yet to have a meal in Zagreb as good as the ones I've had in our restaurant and our aim is not to be 'just a hotel dining room' but have the best restaurant in the city in its own right.
Hope to see you again.
Livermore, California
Reviewed 15 October 2011

This hotel was special from the moment we first walked in. Each and every staff member made us feel welcome. Our room was spacious; the bed, with it's fluffy pillows, was one of the most comfortable ever; and the marble bathroom was large enough for two. The breakfast buffet was delicious....and eating it on the terrace was sublime. This hotel definitely deserves it's 5-star rating (and, by prepaying with an on-line booking company, we were able to stay here at 3-star prices).

1 Thank Temuskia
Thanks for the wonderful review. It's so good to hear you were made to feel special, it's what we try to do. It's worth noting that there are great rates available on our web-site too!
Brussels, Belgium
Reviewed 8 October 2011

A very good hotel with a lot of style. Friendly reception. Nice room at the last floor, a bit small maybe. Spotless everywhere. Nice bathroom, but the shower, with a sloping low roof, isn't enough high (and I'm not tall). Internet for free.

The hotel is located just near the train station. You can go to the old city by foot (10 minutes).

1 Thank Citrouille
GM-Regent-Esplanade, General Manager at Esplanade Zagreb Hotel, responded to this review, 13 October 2011
Thanks for the review and I'm glad you liked it. Sorry about the bathroom, I'm only too aware of the bathroom in question and, as I've said on many occasions on this site, there are one or two nooks and crannies in this building, so, if you're not completely satisfied, please do tell us and we'll try to put it right.
wollongong
Reviewed 6 October 2011

My husband and I along with our 2 adult children stayed here for 2 nights when we landed in Zagreb. We booked in advance based on the tripadvisor recommendations. We are so pleased we did. The hotel is quite luxurious with classical and stylish fittings. The rooms are spacious and the beds very comfortable. We had a great stay and found the staff very helpful and English was no problem. The girl that works in the health spa is brilliant. We highly recommend the deep tissue massage- the best ever. Hurts for a day but so worth it. We ate at their restaurant on the last night and it was one of our most enjoyable experiences in Croatia. We want to return to Croatia just to stay at Regent in Zagreb. Zagreb is a great city.

• Stayed August 2011, travelled with family
1 Thank starbord_traveller
Thank you so much for this and it's lovely to hear it was so good. We always get really good comments about the team in the Health Club, so this is great and they're very pleased with this. Other readers should note that there are more gentle treatments available!
Vancouver
Reviewed 1 October 2011

I booked the Regent Esplanade for the last night of our vacation in Croatia and Slovenia. It was a fitting end to a fabulous 2 1/2 weeks. I had hoped the hotel would live up to the great reviews on Trip Advisor, and it surely did. We arrived in Zagreb early, in order to drop off our rental car at the agency which closed at noon. We arrived at the hotel nearly 4 hours before check-in time, but of course our room was available ... not only that but as it was my birthday we were upgraded to a Deluxe Room. The hotel is gorgeous and has a sense of history which makes it all the more special. We went sightseeing, and upon our return a waiter appeared at our room with a lovely dessert on a silver tray, complete with Happy Birthday written in chocolate! This is a hotel that goes all out to make their guests feel special. As we had a very early start the next morning we enjoyed dinner in the Bistro, rather than Zinfandel's, but the service was friendly and professional, and dinner was great. Our stay went much too quickly, but will be remembered fondly. Highly recommended!

3 Thank echoisland
Many thanks for posting this. The pressure's always on when expectations are high so it's great to hear we surpassed them.