Esplanade Zagreb Hotel
US$101
Palace Hotel(Zagreb)
US$140
2,855 results
All reviewsorient expressbeautiful hotelzinfandel restaurantle bistrol'occitane toiletriesold worldluxury hoteltrain stationold schoolart decomain restaurantbotanical gardensold styleour room was spaciousbreakfast buffetupper townthe main square
Reviewed 28 November 2011

I absolutely loved the Regent Esplanade in Zagreb. It was a beautiful hotel on the outside and inside too. My room was gorgeous with a stunning bathroom. It was a standard room so I bet the deluxe and better rooms are out of this world. The room was large and comfortable and faced the road, which never once caused me a moment of disturbance. I only heard the cars and trams when I opened the window. The value for money was also fantastic - I had a realy great corporate rate which was much cheaper than all 3 and 4 star hotels I've stayed in. Great location too - just over a 5 minute walk in to the centre of the city. Perfect!

The hotel restaurant is fabulous and serves incredible and imaginative food. It's expensive, but worth it. The hotel bar is good too for a quick drink.

The breakfast is exceptional. The cold buffet is delicious if you're in a rush - lots of fresh smoked salmon and other treats. And the hot breakfast made to order is the best breakfast I've ever had at a hotel. I had breakfast in my room on my last morning in the hotel and I wasn't charged an additional room service fee which was surprising and nice touch.

I didn't try the spa facilities but a colleague of mine did and loved it and said it was great value.

Only a couple of things that could do with improvement - the heating system was tempermental and made the room either boiling hot or freezing cold and made some loud noises in the night. The TVs could be a bit more modern but it wasn't a problem.

When I am back in Zagreb working I will definitely pick this hotel again. Love it!

Room Tip: Room 231 was lovely - you're lucky if you get that one!
  • Stayed: November 2011, travelled on business
Reviewed 28 November 2011

We spent a night in Zagreb at the Esplanade. The service was faultless, the bedroom of a good size, the bathroom well equipped and nicely decorated. We had dinner at the bistro, one of the restaurants within the hotel, again service and food was excellent (if a bit pricey). What was really dissapointing was getting woken up at 7am by the diesel engined trains sitting at the very close by zagreb central station. So if you go there avoid the bedroom situated at the back of the hotel as it may ruin a perfectly good stay...

• Stayed: November 2011
2  Thank rico59
GM-Regent-Esplanade, General Manager at Esplanade Zagreb Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 3 December 2011

Thanks for the review. I'm really sorry to hear that you were woken up by the train and the '3-dot' rating you gave us is a lesson for us all that offering a good night's sleep is the very essence of what we do! There appears to be one train that is particularly noisy and, for lighter sleepers, we will always allocate rooms on another side - please do ask, we do listen.
Hope to see you again.

Reviewed 27 November 2011

This Hotel gets great reviews on here, so I decided to go stay there!!!

5 star it certainly is not! Great building, yes, great location, possibly, great Hotel, no way 2 star hotel pretending to be a 5 star!!

I have stayed in a few 5 star hotels in my time, this one is the only one that you turn up at the door in a taxi, you are ignored and you carry your own luggage in! They have adopted that all too modern philosophy of not indicating where reception might be, so, there I stood, baggage in hand wondering where to go!!

The staff have attitude!! Actually the older they are the more attitude they have, the younger staff are great, the rest of them have that magical effect of making you feel you have no right to be there!

Anyway, I found reception (thanks to another guest), they were friendly and helpful, I checked in and was told my room number, again no help offered with my luggage, but the i only had one bag, so who's complaining?

The room was actually quite good, but noisy (traffic from outside, especially the trams)

This is a 5 star hotel, check out the tv's, for a second I thought maybe flat screen had not come to Croatia, but a wander around town dispelled that thought!! Proof of the contempt with which they treat their guests!

As for the heating/ cooling system, even they on check out agreed that no-one knew how to operate it!! The room went from a Siberian Christmas Eve to a night in the Maldives!! I could not understand the system, why don't they provide a guide?

Ok, we watched a movie, Ok we went out late, I asked reception to arrange for the room to be made up, on my return nothing!! It was only 2200, this is supposed to be a 5star hotel, not a 2 star pretending it was a 5 star.

The shower had a temp control, it didn't work, no matter where I turned it the water was over comfortable temperature. 5 Star? I don't think so!!

Be warned, it costs over £30 to get a taxi from the airport to the Hotel, the return journey was even more. Make sure you are prepared for that because there won't be to help you out!!

A huge disappointment and whatever they claim it is a 20 minute walk in to the centre of the town.

Would i stay there again? No

The GM responds to most comments on here, I thought that was a good indicator, He may respond, but he doesn't hear, he's running a myth, take my advice and avoid this dreadful Hotel, Zagreb is a beautiful City, it deserves better that this!!!

Room Tip: Avoid the front rooms, the trams are noisy, not sure if the side rooms overcome that
  • Stayed: November 2011, travelled with friends
7  Thank ac4941

I'm really sorry we so clearly failed to meet your expectations and we've certainly taken your comments on board and had a bit of a review of where we got things wrong.

It's certainly not an excuse but we rather overstretched ourselves on the day you arrived with an event that, really, is too big for the hotel and we'll not be repeating it. That being said, we always have people available to carry luggage and direct and this failure simply shouldn't have happened.

The issue regarding the room cleaning was a horrible mix-up on our part and we've had quite an enquiry about it and are changing the way we do things with regard to recording and following up requests and how we train people in a lone-worker situation. You're right though and it's no excuse that we tried to refresh your room throughout the evening but couldn't get access and we should have had no problem dealing with this after 22.00.

The heating system is designed to be fairly simple but it's a fair suggestion to provide instructions so we're going to do that and I think the comment about no-one knowing how to operate it was a failed attempt at empathy.

I take your point about the TVs but, I assure you, it has nothing to do with contempt and I am pushing for this change as a priority. There are significant technical challenges to this in re-cabling (and therefore completely redecorating) and it's not simply a case of set replacement as we would have done this a long time ago if it were.

For the benefit of other people, the walk to the main square is 7 minutes and a taxi from the airport is a maximum £25 - never pay more! There are cheaper taxis from the city and our people will always help with this and get a fixed price from the driver.

The danger of this site is that people can make comments bordering on the libellous and I think it's unfair to label the team here as you have done and I believe I've demonstrated that I do 'hear' and we constantly try to improve what we do. I appreciate you didn't like what you saw and that we got some things wrong here which is why we refunded the price of a night's stay. I'm sorry I wasn't given the opportunity to speak to you because I would not have charged you anything and this offer is open to you if you care to get in touch. I am a big fan of tripadvisor and I totally support people's right to post comment but I do think that, when things go really wrong, we should be given the opportunity to make amends at the very least. Then, by all means, write a review.

With regards

Reviewed 22 November 2011

This hotel is simply stunning in every way. With breath-taking architecture, luxuriously appointed rooms, and chic restaurants, it's hard to top this one! The location is superb, and serves as a great base to explore the rest of the city by foot. It's also within walking distance to the train station. While all the staff were helpful and pleasant, the Concierge seemed to need some hospitality training. When I asked him to look into something, he acted as if he couldn't be bothered to proactively help.

• Stayed: November 2011, travelled on business
Reviewed 22 November 2011

Location, space, service, modern comforts and luxury of an age gone-by: all this and more will await you at the Regent Esplanade in the centre of Zagreb. The hotel is located near a lovely park and has a classical facade. The smile of the check-in clerk awaits you and you get asked to sit down in your armchair while check-in takes place. Very civilised after a long drive or a late arrival. The rooms are very large, nicely decorated and with opulent bathrooms and forniture. Wifi works really well. I was given a room facing the internal courtyard and it was extremely quiet, which is what I like and need to rest properly. Very nice soft furnishings, sheets, towels and l'Occitane toiletries. Fantastic breakfast buffet, with lots of different varieties of healthy food to properly start your day.
The hotel is within walking distance to all the main sights in Zagreb, which is very convenient.
I had dinner at their famous Zinfandel's restaurant one night and the menu was outstanding. Expensive, but still good value considering the quality. I was a little disappointed with the service (slow and not very accurate), but when I mentioned this to the manager, he immediately reacted providing their signature dessert and a teapot of Earl Grey tea completely free of charge. A nice and convincing way to make up their inefficiencies.
I thoroughly enjoyed my stay at the Regent Esplanade in Zagreb, I would have no hesitation to choose this hotel again when visiting the city nor to recommend it to any of my friends.

Room Tip: If you like peace and quiet, ask for a courtyard facing room
  • Stayed: September 2011, travelled on business
1  Thank Ste

Thanks for the review and I'm glad you liked the hotel. Many apologies about the service in the restaurant but thank you for noting we recovered it well. It goes to show that we do listen and do respond and we never, ever profess to be perfect but we will always try to make things right.
Hope to see you again.