“Needs Some Upgrading”

Ranked #1 of 58 Hotels in Zagreb
Washington DC, District of Columbia
“Needs Some Upgrading”
Reviewed 14 November 2013 via mobile

The hotel is a grand hotel with interesting history. The restaurants were very good. But the hotel looks tired. It's in need of modernization while maintaining its charm. Some of the (older) concierge staff are among the worst I've experienced. Their standard response is "no", but when pushed a solution is begrudgingly found. Go out if your way to find the younger staff. The check in service was excellent.

Stayed November 2013, travelled on business

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (296)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Serbian first
  • Turkish first
Sydney, Australia
Reviewed 13 November 2013

We stayed at the Esplanade Zagreb at the beginning and end of our Croatian driving holiday. We had chosen it because the rental car we had arranged (Oryx) had an office there. The hotel was excellent! The check-in process was efficient and friendly and our room was spacious and comfortable. That first afternoon my mobile phone was stolen at the Stone Gate and the hotel were very helpful in directing us to the Police Station to make our report and were generally very supportive. Breakfast was good and we ate in both the restaurants - highly recommended.

• Stayed September 2013, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Wendy015
Tucson, Arizona
Reviewed 10 November 2013

I wish there was a 4.5 rating. But since there are things to better, it can wait for the 5th star on a future visit.

Good:
Location: near the train station and within walking distance of the sights & museums
At less than $200 a night, it is a good value for this kind of hotel in Central Europe.
Wifi - automatic
Toiletries from l'Occitane
Double vasque, shower and bath + robe & slippers
Excellent bed - good windows, I didn't hear the trains despite being on that side
Good service at the reception

Could be better:
Super old TV
Carpet looks pretty tired and shabby, under curtains had remnants of plaster on them and were not really white/clean
Our eggs were forgotten - we waited for 20 mn and had to re-order.

Notes:
Breakfast is delicious but overpriced if you are not super hungry. If you take the salmon egg Benedict, a lot of fruits, champagne, etc and make it a brunch, it can be worth it but for a regular breakfast 24 euros or so is just too much.
Some rooms have a view on the courtyard instead of the street. Be sure to ask for what you prefer. The double windows work fine for a street view.

Room Tip: Rooms on the courtyard, especially in lower floors can be dark. Ask for 5th floor or higher, on the...
  • Stayed November 2013, travelled as a couple
2 Thank TravelingCat22
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 10 November 2013

I recently stayed at the Esplenade Hotel Zagreb after reading about it's history and refurb in a travel magazine. I like old style Grand hotels and this proved to be no exception.
From the moment I arrived the staff were helpful and courteous and made me feel very welcome. They had kindly upgraded my room so I benefitted from one at the front with the best views eastwards out over the square and with the morning sun. As it was my first time in Zagreb Tom the concierge became my 'personal' advisor and helped point me in the right direction for whatever I was looking for.
I drank in the bar and had tea on the terrace but I didn't take breakfast or dinner at the hotel as I was out exploring.
I would readily go back to the Esplenade and Zagreb - both were highly enjoyable experiences and ones I'd be very glad to repeat. I felt I received excellent value for money and Zagreb as a city has lots to offer a visitor for a short break. The weather was so perfect that it kept me outside and therefore from visiting the wide choice of museums and galleries which just gives me an excuse to go back again in the near future.

Room Tip: Ask for a view over the square
  • Stayed October 2013, travelled solo
West Bend, Wisconsin
Reviewed 7 November 2013

We enjoyed our stay in this classic, exquisite hotel. We had a spacious room complete with a refrigerator mini-bar, free wifi, robes, slippers, and even a complementary shoe shine service. The large bathroom had a huge bathtub, a separate stall shower, double sinks, an array of soaps and shampoos, and large, sumptuous towels. The bed was very comfortable, as were the pillows. The location by the train station is convenient if you are using the train, and it is only a ten minute walk to the main square. The only downside to our entire stay was the overpriced breakfast we had--it was approximately $35 per person extra. Our advice is to stay at this hotel if you go to Zagreb, but eat breakfast elsewhere as we did our second morning.

• Stayed September 2013, travelled as a couple
Cairo, Egypt
Reviewed 5 November 2013

There is nothing quite like being awoken at 4am to the shrill sound of a heart attack inducingly loud alarm advising you there is an emergency and to evacuate the room. When I and other guests straggled down to the lobby we were told it was a 'technical problem ... this happens' and we could return back. Trying to get back to sleep after that - pretty much impossible. This event colors my entire experience of the hotel. It is gorgeous and the rooms are nicely appointed with the odd exception of the TV sets as others have pointed out. It also is a bit of a walk to the city center which is really worth seeing. Breakfast buffet was rather limited in terms of the hot item selection although you could order a few things they would bring to your table.

So, because of an absolutely horrible night I will not return to this hotel again and would reccomend finding an alternate location closer to the city center where you can get a good night of sleep.

• Stayed November 2013, travelled on business
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 30 October 2013 via mobile

I arrived by train and so the Esplanade was in a perfect location: a short walk from the station without getting rail noise. It is also very walkable from the Esplanade to the main sights and restaurants and parks of Zagreb. A beautiful classic hotel. Well worth the indulgence

Stayed October 2013, travelled solo