“Decent enough, but dated”

Sheraton Zagreb Hotel
Ranked #9 of 59 Hotels in Zagreb
Reviewed 24 September 2013

Stayed here for 2 weeks for business and got upgraded to a 'classic suite', which was nice, although primarily meant there was a lounge in addition to the bedroom.

I must say, however, that the bed was among the comfiest I've ever had (and I have an extremely nice bed at home) and the proper blackout curtains helped with a good night's sleep.

Breakfast was a good selection of the usual bacon, eggs, sausages, pastries, breads and delicatessen. I mostly had fruit for breakfast, which wasn't really the best (watermelons loads of seeds, citrus fruits chewy as not well prepared) but acceptable. Didn't eat other meals at the hotel as there are sooo many good (and affordable) places all around town which are undoubtedly a better way to spend your kunas.

There is a nicely equipped gym with a small selection of free weights (barbells and dumbells) and machines - pretty decent for a hotel gym and I could just about keep up with my regular workout. Pool was fairly standard, not particularly inspiring either way. Nice steam room and sauna as well but the outdoor hot tub was out of action and full of mould (if it's not going to be used, at least cover it).

Staff were generally friendly and helpful, but then again, that is a basic expectation and they didn't go out of their way.

Location wise, it's about 15-20 minutes walk into the centre of town and a nice walk. Also close to the bus station if you need to go on daytrips.

In general, the hotel seems a 'average-good' standard that you'd expect from a Big Chain, but as with increasingly many large hotels, it feels dated to the early 90s, even if fairly clean.

Room Tip: Some rooms face the street and others a courtyard of sorts. No discernible difference in noise level...
  • Stayed: September 2013, travelled on business
MarioSusak, General Manager at Sheraton Zagreb Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 26 September 2013

Hi Matt,

Thanks for caring and taking the time to post your impressions. I appreciate your being so candid. Your descriptive leaves me with the impression that your experience was better than the system generated score would lead one to believe. In any case, I have taken note of all your observations; they are very helpful. On a positive note, I can tell you that we will be rolling out a major refurb of guest-rooms, public areas, cafe, bar and restaurants as of mid Q4 this year. If the impression you left us with this time is that our property is tired, I can assure you that this will not be your take away in the future. Hope to see you back soon.

Mario

Write a ReviewReviews (1,067)

Reviewed 19 September 2013

Nice lobby, decent sized rooms. No views, and it is in the lower town, about .6 miles/1km walk to the upper town, where it is much more pleasant, historical and active (restaurants/shopping/historical attractions). The rooms and hallways are worn. Comfortable, but shabby. Decent water pressure, quiet place to sleep. Up and out to enjoy our vacation. Breakfast was a decent buffet, but also a little shabby. Don't go to the restaurant for a quick bite--there is a modern cafe to the right of reception. The #13 tram will get you to town square, in upper town, and if you can get past the graffiti and crumbling building facades, the walk is cool in a gritty urban kind of way. God bless a country that has been through what it has been through for the last century. Hopefully they are turning the corner. We thought upper town and the parks were great. Also, a very safe city.

Room Tip: It's only a few stories high, and there is nothing scenic around the hotel. We faced the front...
  • Stayed: September 2013, travelled with family
MarioSusak, General Manager at Sheraton Zagreb Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 21 September 2013

Dear Johh,

I appreciate your effort in sharing your experience. I hope we will be in a position to welcome you back because we have turned the corned and we can do better in terms of delivering on your expectations. In the event you do revisit, I am certain we will impress. Mid Q4 we are launching a extensive refurb of guest-rooms, public areas and F&B outlets.

Reviewed 18 September 2013

This hotel is rather old fashioned, very tired, and in need of renovation which I've been advised will commence towards the end of the year. Once renovated, I will try it again. On the plus side, the staff couldn't be friendlier or more helpful if they tried.

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled on business
1  Thank LAScotty

Dear LAScotty,

I appreciate the time and effot you have taken in posting this review. It is reassuring to hear your were satisfied with the service end of the stay experience. You are well informed indeed about the refurb cycle. Do come back.

Reviewed 17 September 2013

The staff were friendly and helpful. The rooms were clean and comfortable. However, they were slightly let down by little details. There was only 1 bathrobe in the room for 2 people and no slippers.
The spa facility on the whole was good. However the outdoor jacuzzi seems to be out of action, and no one refilled the drinking water.
The lounge area was nice and relaxing, with a good pianist. The coffees served were a bit disappointing, tasting quite watered down. Perhaps they should have offered 2 shots of coffee.
Location wise, it was good for the bus & train station. A comfortable walk into the main tourist area, though for more elderly tourist, it might be a bit far.
Overall, I did enjoy my stay, but it was a case of missed opportunities, as a few tweaks could have made it great.

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled with friends
MarioSusak, General Manager at Sheraton Zagreb Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 20 September 2013

Dear Ghenix,

I appreciate the time you took to post your impressions. It's reassuring that you were pleased with your stay, but I am a little disappointed we did not manage to WoW you. I have carefully noted all your comments and I can assure you I will have all issues addressed. Thank you for being so detailed with your input. Feedback like this really does help us improve. When you come back, you will see for yourself.

Reviewed 12 September 2013

We arrived to Zagreb by train and hotel was near train station. Service in reception was friendly. Hotel room weren't as good as I have used to see in 5 star hotels (for example bathroom looked old). Hotelroom was clean. In Spa Area there was nice outside jacuzzi but there was no water at the moment. Service in Spa area was friendly. Breakfast was ok.

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled as a couple
MarioSusak, General Manager at Sheraton Zagreb Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 17 September 2013

Dear Jyrki,

I appreciate the time and effort you've expended in publishing your impressions. It's always good to hear that we were on top of the game at the service end - guest experience is what inspires us to give that little extra. Cleanliness is certainly an area we excel in, and it's great that you took notice. I've made a note of your comments in respect to room decor and bath. FYI - we're doing a major refurb of guest-rooms, public areas and F&B outlets as of mid Q4 this year. I hope you'll be revisiting us soon.

Reviewed 10 September 2013

Nice hotel, rooms ok, very good breakfast, nice service, but too small for 3 beds - fine for twin or double room but never for triple - my tour operator was very inexperienced in this matter. Restaurant for dinner good food. Although the hotel is supposed to be downtown it is a 15-20 minute walk to the real center and when you have elderly people in your group it makes it a little difficult especially if temperature is in high 80s

Room Tip: As long as rooms are for 2 persons fine, never book it for 3 adults with 3 beds.
  • Stayed: August 2013, travelled with friends
MarioSusak, General Manager at Sheraton Zagreb Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 13 September 2013

Dear Bonita,

Thanks so much for sharing your experience with us. It pleases me to hear that your stay was pleasant and that you were satisfied with our product and services. Our standard room concept is a perfect fit for double occupancy, be it a King, Queen or Twin configuration. Exceptionally, and only on request, we do provide our guests with roll-away beds to enable triple occupancy. The standard rooms are designed for double occupancy, and as such are spacious and functional. We do have a great assortment of 27 classic and executive suites, as well as a fabulous presidential suite, that are perfectly designed to accommodate 3 + persons. In the event you revisit Zagreb, do come back - we would love to have you.

Reviewed 3 September 2013

I stayed in this hotel for four nights as my tour went through Zagreb. While the hotel is in downtown Zagreb, it is about a ten-twenty minute walk (deepening on your speed) to where the town square, and many of the restaurants are. There is also great public transportation in the form of trolleys to get you to/from anywhere in the city and they stop right in front of the hotel. Anyhow, I felt very safe walking around this area, day and night.

The hotel itself was really nice, though you could tell it wasn't brand new. It certainly felt the most 'American' out of all the hotels I stayed at within Croatia. My tour group ate a lot of meals (breakfasts and dinners) at the hotel and found them average at best. (I would recommend heading to the old city for a great collection of restaurants and/or bars) However their cafe had one of the best Club sandwiches I've ever had!

Everything was clean, the staff very helpful and friendly, and I thoroughly enjoyed my view of downtown Zagreb from my window.

Room Tip: The hotel is essentially a big square. The rooms on the outside have views of downtown while the roo...
  • Stayed: July 2013, travelled with family
MarioSusak, General Manager at Sheraton Zagreb Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 6 September 2013

Dear Jtrek72,

I fully appreciate the time and effort you have taken in sharing your stay experience with us. It is reassuring to know that we truly delivered at our end. That is precisely what we strive for with each and every guest, each and every time. You are very kind, and I hope we will have the honor of welcoming you back soon - looking forward to it.