“An oldie but a goodie”

Sheraton Zagreb Hotel
Ranked #10 of 60 Hotels in Zagreb
“An oldie but a goodie”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 October 2013 via mobile

We found all our needs were met at the Sheraton through from service to rooms and breakfasts. It was a pleasure to stay here and I would certainly recommend it. It is very central and accessible to the interesting city of Zagreb.

Stayed October 2013, travelled as a couple
MarioSusak, General Manager at Sheraton Zagreb Hotel, responded to this review, 9 October 2013
Hi Jan,

You are very kind for having taken the time to post your impression, and it is certainly reassuring to learn that we met the mark in terms of your expectations. I hope that we will have the pleasure of welcoming you back soon.

Mario

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (102)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Serbian first
  • Turkish first
Stockport, UK
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 October 2013

The Hotel was disappointing I expect more from a Sheraton Especially at circa 120eu a night.
The package was meant to be a romantic weekend including dinner for 2 on one night....
the room was not special in anyway and the food was limited to 2 choices per courseand quite frankly was rather tasteless and tepid at best.

• Stayed September 2013, travelled as a couple
Keith,

Thank you for taking the time to post your impression. It is disappointing to hear that we disappointed. I have taken note of your remarks regarding the F&B end of the experience, and I can tell you I will certainly dig deep into figuring out what transpired, because that segment of operations is generally one of our strongest suits. I can assure you that we will make it up to you in the event you grant us another opportunity should you decide to revisit, and in that respect, I am at your disposal.

Paris, France
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 October 2013

Clearly Zagreb is not --unfortunately-- hotel's capital in Europe, so the question is not so much in the terms which one is the best but rather which one is the less bad choice. Against that background, Sheraton is scoring pretty well: it has great, central location and, as usually in Sheraton, very comfortable beds. The venue is pretty old and would benefit from a major refurbishment (unless you like the style from early eighties); good breakfast, although you eat it in a middle of a large lobby. However, given the alternatives in town, not a bad option.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled on business
Dear Scipion,

I appreciate that you took the time to post your impression. I have to admit, scoring in individual categories does not correlate with the overall score that was assigned, but I respect your position. One relevant fact that is worthwhile mentioning is that we will be rolling out a major refurb of guest-rooms, public areas and F&B outlets as of mid Q4 this year, so do come back and witness our transformation. I can see that Zagreb as a destination dissapointed you and that is really unfortunate because Zagreb is really a great town. When and if you come back, I am at your disposal to help out with a must see and do itinerary. I can assure you that your perspective will completely change.

3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 September 2013

This hotel must have been nice in the '80s. It's clean but needs updating and maybe fresh paint, carpeting and decor. The rooms were good in size and the beds were alright. Slept comfortably after a long flight. Breakfast buffet was a good selection of bread, pastries, cold cuts, cheese, smoke salmon and fruits. Service during breakfast was excellent. Just stayed for one night so was not able to enjoy other facilities.

• Stayed September 2013, travelled with friends
MarioSusak, General Manager at Sheraton Zagreb Hotel, responded to this review, 27 September 2013
Dear Sdlfagel,

I appreciate your input - I have taken note of all the points you have brought up. I hope you will revisit because we are launching a major refurb during the course of Q4 this year which will encompass guest-rooms, public areas and F&B outlets.

Bristol
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 September 2013

Stayed here for 2 weeks for business and got upgraded to a 'classic suite', which was nice, although primarily meant there was a lounge in addition to the bedroom.

I must say, however, that the bed was among the comfiest I've ever had (and I have an extremely nice bed at home) and the proper blackout curtains helped with a good night's sleep.

Breakfast was a good selection of the usual bacon, eggs, sausages, pastries, breads and delicatessen. I mostly had fruit for breakfast, which wasn't really the best (watermelons loads of seeds, citrus fruits chewy as not well prepared) but acceptable. Didn't eat other meals at the hotel as there are sooo many good (and affordable) places all around town which are undoubtedly a better way to spend your kunas.

There is a nicely equipped gym with a small selection of free weights (barbells and dumbells) and machines - pretty decent for a hotel gym and I could just about keep up with my regular workout. Pool was fairly standard, not particularly inspiring either way. Nice steam room and sauna as well but the outdoor hot tub was out of action and full of mould (if it's not going to be used, at least cover it).

Staff were generally friendly and helpful, but then again, that is a basic expectation and they didn't go out of their way.

Location wise, it's about 15-20 minutes walk into the centre of town and a nice walk. Also close to the bus station if you need to go on daytrips.

In general, the hotel seems a 'average-good' standard that you'd expect from a Big Chain, but as with increasingly many large hotels, it feels dated to the early 90s, even if fairly clean.

Room Tip: Some rooms face the street and others a courtyard of sorts. No discernible difference in noise level...
  • Stayed September 2013, travelled on business
MarioSusak, General Manager at Sheraton Zagreb Hotel, responded to this review, 26 September 2013
Hi Matt,

Thanks for caring and taking the time to post your impressions. I appreciate your being so candid. Your descriptive leaves me with the impression that your experience was better than the system generated score would lead one to believe. In any case, I have taken note of all your observations; they are very helpful. On a positive note, I can tell you that we will be rolling out a major refurb of guest-rooms, public areas, cafe, bar and restaurants as of mid Q4 this year. If the impression you left us with this time is that our property is tired, I can assure you that this will not be your take away in the future. Hope to see you back soon.

Buffalo, New York
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 September 2013

Nice lobby, decent sized rooms. No views, and it is in the lower town, about .6 miles/1km walk to the upper town, where it is much more pleasant, historical and active (restaurants/shopping/historical attractions). The rooms and hallways are worn. Comfortable, but shabby. Decent water pressure, quiet place to sleep. Up and out to enjoy our vacation. Breakfast was a decent buffet, but also a little shabby. Don't go to the restaurant for a quick bite--there is a modern cafe to the right of reception. The #13 tram will get you to town square, in upper town, and if you can get past the graffiti and crumbling building facades, the walk is cool in a gritty urban kind of way. God bless a country that has been through what it has been through for the last century. Hopefully they are turning the corner. We thought upper town and the parks were great. Also, a very safe city.

Room Tip: It's only a few stories high, and there is nothing scenic around the hotel. We faced the front...
  • Stayed September 2013, travelled with family
MarioSusak, General Manager at Sheraton Zagreb Hotel, responded to this review, 21 September 2013
Dear Johh,

I appreciate your effort in sharing your experience. I hope we will be in a position to welcome you back because we have turned the corned and we can do better in terms of delivering on your expectations. In the event you do revisit, I am certain we will impress. Mid Q4 we are launching a extensive refurb of guest-rooms, public areas and F&B outlets.

Windsor UK
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 September 2013

This hotel is rather old fashioned, very tired, and in need of renovation which I've been advised will commence towards the end of the year. Once renovated, I will try it again. On the plus side, the staff couldn't be friendlier or more helpful if they tried.

• Stayed August 2013, travelled on business
1 Thank LAScotty
Dear LAScotty,

I appreciate the time and effot you have taken in posting this review. It is reassuring to hear your were satisfied with the service end of the stay experience. You are well informed indeed about the refurb cycle. Do come back.