Sheraton Zagreb Hotel
US$87
Palace Hotel(Zagreb)
US$140
1,116 results
All reviewspiano barexecutive floorindoor poolcomfortable bedbusiness tripold townbreakfast buffetvery nice hotelold stylecity centrecomfortable stayroom was largereception deskthe main squaremin walkupper towntrain station
Reviewed 23 June 2014

This hotel was probably classed as a 5 star hotel 20 years ago but now would be a fair 3 .5 star place.

However there are some positives.The staff are helpful and friendly and work hard to give you a pleasant stay.

The rooms are well appointed but dated by modern standards.the hotel is clean and the beds comfortable.The bathroom is old style but everything works ok.

Carpets in the hall ways are well and truly past their use by date but are clean

Air con worked ok but I suspect it would struggle in mid summer.

The hotel seems to cater for the bus tours groups and we travelled with an Insight bus tour. Our meal served as part of the tour package was a disgrace and I am amazed a Sheraton hotel could serve meat of such poor quality.it appeared to have been cooked some hours before and re heated.the salad however was fresh. The desert was stale and dry. wine served was quite drinkable.Any restaurant serving a meal of this standard would soon be out of business.We would have eaten here the following day but this meal turned us off eating here.

Buffet breakfast is of a very good standard with a wide range of food and enough choices to satisfy most people.Hot food was replaced as needed so no shortages. 7.5/10 for breakfast.

I would stay here again but not eat here (try Canzona a nice little Italian place about 500 from the hotel-very good and not expensive)

Overall I would say 7/10.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple
2  Thank rovingrabbit2
MarioSusak, General Manager at Sheraton Zagreb Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 24 June 2014

Dear Rovingrabbit2,

Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback. I would like to draw your attention to the fact that we are in the midst of launching a major refurbishment of public areas, F&B outlets and guest-rooms, so I wholeheartedly invite you to come back to the Sheraton Zagreb Hotel - let's reconnect!

'

Reviewed 17 June 2014

Stayed in the Sheraton several times for business reasons.
Positives:
- in walking distance to the city
- rooms facing the indoor courtyard are nicely quiet
- reasonable rates with company contracts (standard rates are too expensive for the standard they offer - see details below)
- Starwood SPG floor with additional amenities (fruits, water, chocolate)
- some nice front-desk ladies :-)

To be improved:
- all interiors are quite dated (about up to 20 years old...)
Also stayed in a newly renovated room once but this looks pretty cheap and with low quality furniture (chair already had damaged cover after only 6 month in operation; also had to repair TV, sink and lightning by myself - the lightning is enclosed in plastic which is producing loud "cracks"-sounds throughout the whole night and the water is not going down the sink unless you completely remove the bung...they really should go over this furniture again before continuing rolling it out to all rooms (maybe they already did as it doesn't seem that they are rolling out anything new at the moment to the other rooms even if the GM promised in TripAdvisor already last year (2013) that they will be finished in spring 2014...they only seem to have a couple of rooms already renovated so far).
- Air conditioned in some rooms is pretty loud, even if turned off in your own room (as you will hear the general fans going all the time). (also, you probably don’t want to know what is all in those old tubes, especially if you look up to the opening above the room entrance ;-) ).
- TV has picture of low quality (as TV over internet) and only about 30 channels at all (HD TV seems to be a foreign word in Sheraton…)
- Internet in most of the rooms I stayed had been pretty slow. The routers in the room didn't work either in most of them and if they did, it wasn’t that much quicker (so definitely far away from "high-speed")
- The hotel really seems to be the no.1 destination for bus tourists throughout the whole summer. Sometimes there are up to 4 or 5 buses staying in the hotel for mostly just 1 night with the result that the breakfast is so crowded at around 7am that you really cannot get a free seat sometimes and that you have to fight for your food and coffee...and I'm not yet talking about the atmosphere which is like in a train station with the bus drivers and baggage guys already waiting in the lobby for them giving you the feeling of some kind of "pressure", especially as the breakfast space is open and indeed a part of the lobby..(but just about coffee: please go ahead and put a coffee pot on every table instead of having the service guys walking around and serving the coffee - business people don't have that much time at breakfast to wait for them to return just to have 2, 3 cups of coffee...). And another recommendation: they really should put the bus / group travellers in the annex room they sometimes do now open for the "individual" guests.
(However, it seems that the whole service is only dedicated to those bus tourists and are lacking in caring for the individual travellers in those periods, especially for the business people which I suppose are really paying higher rates than the groups are doing).
- We shouldn't really talk about the gym as this is ridiculous. I've never seen such strange machines working with some air-pressure mechanisms instead of weights and most of them are already broken or not working properly (I always have been afraid of hurting me by using them, especially as there is nobody around caring for you or showing you how to operate them). Besides this, the gym is pretty small but not reserved for hotel guests at all (it’s a public one like, unfortunately, at all the other hotels in Zagreb too). However, the sauna area and pool is acceptable but quite dark.
So, all in all, the Sheraton really is nothing special and they should try to bring it back to up-to-date hotel standards with furniture’s fulfilling 5-star-quality standards (at the moment, it seems more to be a 3-star-plus hotel).
Apart from that, they should really try to care more about the individual (business) travellers and SPG guests which is not just to bring the chocolate every evening to every door…
Though, if you are staying in Zagreb, the Sheraton certainly is an adequate choice if you got a reasonable price and want to be near to the city.

Room Tip: Ask for a room to the courtyard if you are having trouble with noise.
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled on business
2  Thank reiselust_ch

Dear Reistelust_CH,

Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback. While I wish you had a better experience, it is feedback like this that we learn from and use to improve. We work hard to deliver an exceptional guest experience, and it's apparent in this case that we fell short. If you give us a chance to earn back your trust, I can assure you that we will do our best to give you the great hotel experience that so many of our guests have grown so fond of. In the event you do come back to reconnect, you will bear witness to our transformation. We are in the midst of rolling out a major refurbishment of F&B outlets, public areas and guest-rooms.

Reviewed 10 June 2014

After 3 planes and feeling pretty gross, it was a pleasure to find an amazing clean modern hotel
To start our holiday in bosnia and Croatia. We loved the quiet and relaxing atmosphere. We had a hot shower and relaxed as our first outing the following morning was to the national park

Room Tip: Our room was first class and very quiet on the 4th floor
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Phyllis S
MarioSusak, General Manager at Sheraton Zagreb Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 13 June 2014

Dear Phyllis,

Thank you for the great review of our hotel! We are glad that you enjoyed your stay and hope to see you again very soon. I'll be sure to share your impressions with my Team - it'll be a great source of inspiration for them. I'm at your disposal for support the next time you come back to Zagreb. I look forward to reconnecting with you soon!

Reviewed 5 June 2014

What I expected to be a usual Sheraton property, was not. Its outdated interior is hard to overlook and it takes so much away from the good job the staff is doing. While everything in the room worked just fine, there were holes, large in some cases, in the carpet in the hallway and there were numerous large stains on the walls in my suite. My suite was spacious enough, and the amenities were fine (loofah, slippers, robe, Sheraton shampoos, etc.). I had a small kitchenette with a refrigerator and sink and a dining table, which was nice to have. Two bottles of complimentary water daily and 2 pieces of chocolate each night. The bed slept fine except the pillows are too high and hard. There are no other options. I had to ask for assistance to figure out the TV in the bedroom and to figure out the shower control. If you have any trouble whatsoever getting in and out of a tub, you should not stay at the Sheraton, as the step up into the tub is very difficult even for people who are spry, and the step back out is treacherous. The tub/shower combo has a hinged glass partition, not a door or a curtain. This isn't a problem though. Later in the week, I had a regular room, and while the suite had a bidet and a separate room for the toilet, the regular room had neither.

The breakfast is fine, but it is not the best one in Zagreb. The elevators are quick (bank of three). The lobby always seems packed with large tourist groups. The gym is constantly overcrowded. The location of the hotel is closer to the train station than it is to the main square, but Zagreb is a walkable city and nothing is very far away.

But let me tell you about the staff. When I arrived I wrote down the things I wanted housekeeping to do for me each day (extra soap, extra bath mat, that sort of thing) and I handed my short list to the reception staff. They claim to be 5 stars, so game on. To their credit, my entire list was satisfied for the entire 8 days I was there. Kudos! When things went wrong in the room, someone would promptly come and fix it (a new shower head, new remote control batteries, etc.). They were working very hard to make my stay pleasant. Upon my return, when I stayed in a regular room, during the night I heard someone trying to get into my room. I called downstairs and found out that when I 'checked in' that day, the computer hadn't 'checked me in' and so my room was open and in the middle of the night the key to my room had been given to another guest who was just then checking in. I was scared to death, of course, but primarily because the guard on the door (the metal thing that you fold over the door just above the door handle for extra security) was broken off. If I hadn't used the lock on the door, the new guest would have come straight into my room. It was awful. However, in the morning, the man who took my call at reception during the night approached me, apologized for the nth time, and offered me a good bottle of wine and he picked up the cost of my next taxi ride in the city.

While I was comfortable at the Sheraton, and the staff busts their hump to provide good service, it is not my first choice for an excellent hotel in Zagreb. I don't like all the big tourist groups and the feelings of being just another face in the crowd.

Room Tip: Suite 591 has no view at all.
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled on business
1  Thank Christmas2010
MarioSusak, General Manager at Sheraton Zagreb Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 9 June 2014

Dear Christmas2010,

Thank you for publishing such a detailed account of your stay. My take-away is absolutely positive, despite the weighted overall score, because my team made the connection with you at the service end, and that is the most important thing. My apologies about the hustle and bustle in the hotel these days. We were full, and the volume of people in-house did not contribute positively to your overall experience. As far as decor goes, I am happy to inform you that we are rolling out a major refurbisment of public areas, food and beverage outlets, meeting salons and guest-rooms. We have the Sheraton service end covered, as you have seen. We are in the midst of doing a major esthetic overhaul, so please do come back; we would love to have you.

Reviewed 3 June 2014

I was truly surprised by my experience at this Sheraton. It certaintly does not rank as a 5 star. The reception staff are surly, rude and not helpful. From the expression on their faces they all are very unhappy working there. (I'd look into their superior). In contrast the staff in the restaurant were superb. (probably a great boss). What really boiled me was the fact that the website touts a coffee maker in the room. Yes it is there but not coffee. You are given 2 little Nescafe packets upon arrival and after that you're on your own. Come on Man---- what does a little packet of Nescafe cost $0.10? This is not 5 star treatment!!! I was informed this was company policy. Gee---Howard Johnsons motels , Best Western, Hampton Inn, I could go on forever all replenish coffee packets used daily. I've never stayed in a hotel that didn't replenish. Left a very sour taste in my mouth. Sheraton will never see me again. I only stay again in hotels that give me gracious service with a smile.

Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Barefootnlovinit

Dear Barefootnlovinit,

Thank you for sharing your impressions - much appreciated. It is unfortunate we did not leave you with an excellent overall impression, although I am happy that my F&B Team did connect with ou. I will look into the concerns you raised about the front office staff. No excuses for rudeness and/or non-helpfulness - that is not the Sheraton way. I have made a note of your in-room coffee commentary. I assure you that we can do better - do come back!