“Very unprofessional front desk manager”

Sheraton Zagreb Hotel
Ranked #10 of 60 Hotels in Zagreb
Fort Worth, Texas
“Very unprofessional front desk manager”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 July 2014

I am gold Starwood preferred member, they could not recognize that. And was told they give 15% off food and laundry charges. Then I ask to confirm again I was told that is not true, and if they give me it would come out from the front desk clerk's pay check. And it was not enough that front desk manager Mrs. Ivanka argued with me loudly in the lobby. I felt insulted by her rudeness and attitude. I thought it was very unprofessional of her to talk to any guest. And cleaning was not at par either.

Room Tip: None. I hope by now they would have fired that manager. Under sink lots of water stains specially th...
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled with friends
2 Thank quest123
MarioSusak, General Manager at Sheraton Zagreb Hotel, responded to this review, 18 July 2014
Dear Guest123,

Thank you for sharing your impressions. It's unfortunate that your experience with our F.O. Manager was such a disappointment. Professionalism, and the Sheraton brand philosophy of connecting with our guests is our M.O., and we obviously missed out on the opportunity to connect with you. I was under the impression that we'd reached an acceptable form of indemnification in direct correspondence with you, but it appears that I'm mistaken. I've addressed your concerns with my FOM and I can assure you that scenarios the likes of this one will never recurr.

Mario

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (101)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Serbian first
  • Turkish first
San Francisco, California
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 July 2014 via mobile

The staff here is extremely rude! Get used to it. From the front desk to the waiters, they all act like they're doing you a favor!

The only other worst hotel in Zagreb is the Hotel Inter-Continental! That hotel is absolutely THE WORST HOTEL IN ZAGREB from top to bottom. Everything there is absolutely ridiculous!

The hotel and rooms are nice, but only if you get a good one. If you don't, demand a better one. Complain to management, that helped me. The room service is 24 hours, but it's just ok.

This hotel would do if I was pressed for something, but it certainly wouldn't be my first choice. Also, the restaurant in the lobby is a joke! I had guests coming at 2pm, they had a buffet out, but the waiter kept trying to lie to me telling me it wasn't open! He clearly didn't want to work! But he sure got the bill right away! I had to first walk to the front desk and complain to a manager before he agreed to start working! It was a nightmare! And the food was terrible!

Stayed August 2013, travelled solo
MarioSusak, General Manager at Sheraton Zagreb Hotel, responded to this review, 15 July 2014
Dear TheJurisDoctor,

I appreciate your taking the time to post your impressions. It's unfortunate we didn't make the connection with you - what a shame. I'll do a trace of your stay and look into the interaction issues you apparently had with our front office and F&B operational staff. I've made a note of, and will look into your remark regarding the buffet in the restaurant. To make a long story short, I'd like nothing more than to demonstrate that we are and can do better. Do come back - I assure you we'll deliver on a true Sheraton experience!

Regards,
Sheraton Zagreb GM
London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 July 2014

I was here for 4 nights. It is rare in European busy city to find a place that has a comfortable bed, provides peace and quiet. Top marks!
To add to the experience, all the staff were very welcoming, helpful and courteous.
The Halal menu is an added bonus and there are some very nice options to choose from.
I will certainly recommend the hotel to any muslims visiting Zagreb and concerned with finding halal food. The staff are well trained and provide prayer mats, Quran and quibla directions.
All in all a great experience...... well done Sheraton!

• Stayed July 2014, travelled on business
MarioSusak, General Manager at Sheraton Zagreb Hotel, responded to this review, 14 July 2014
Dear Travelgurust,

Thank you so much for posting your impressions. Your too kind, and I have to say this positive feedback is a tremendous source of motivation. I'm so glad we made such a great connection with you. Come back soon - the Sheraton Zagreb Hotel eagerly awaits your return.

5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 June 2014 via mobile

Very comfortable large rooms, quiet with good beds and nice toilets. The furniture is a bit worn out and should be replaced, but it wasn't a problem for me. The breakfast is good and also had a good fish and desert for lunch. The staff is also very helpful and nice.

Stayed June 2014, travelled on business
3 Thank Fatmir S
MarioSusak, General Manager at Sheraton Zagreb Hotel, responded to this review, 1 July 2014
Dear Fatmir,

Thank you for the great review of our hotel! We are glad that you enjoyed your stay @ the Sheraton Zagreb Hotel, and hope that we will be reconnecting soon!

Athens, Georgia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 June 2014

Room was comfortable and quiet with a good bed, the food was excellent, and the staff were always very friendly and helpful. However, the hotel has a very dated look to it and needs a facelift. The stay was enjoyable and I have no complaints, but this is not a five star hotel.

Room Tip: Choose a room on the inside away from the street if you want a window that opens. Either inside or...
Stayed May 2014, travelled on business
1 Thank TheOtherAthens
Dear Sheraton Zagreb patron,

I appreciate the time you took to share your impressions; thank you for caring. It's great to hear we made the connection, and that we succeeded in making your stay a pleasant experience. I'm very proud of my staff, and I thank you for communicating through your satisfaction with the level of professionalism and service we provided you with. As far as product goes, I would like to draw your attention to the fact that we are rolling out a consequential refurbishment of public areas, F&B outlets and guest-rooms. I hope we'll have the opportunity to reconnect soon - do come back!

Canberra ACT
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 June 2014

This hotel was probably classed as a 5 star hotel 20 years ago but now would be a fair 3 .5 star place.

However there are some positives.The staff are helpful and friendly and work hard to give you a pleasant stay.

The rooms are well appointed but dated by modern standards.the hotel is clean and the beds comfortable.The bathroom is old style but everything works ok.

Carpets in the hall ways are well and truly past their use by date but are clean

Air con worked ok but I suspect it would struggle in mid summer.

The hotel seems to cater for the bus tours groups and we travelled with an Insight bus tour. Our meal served as part of the tour package was a disgrace and I am amazed a Sheraton hotel could serve meat of such poor quality.it appeared to have been cooked some hours before and re heated.the salad however was fresh. The desert was stale and dry. wine served was quite drinkable.Any restaurant serving a meal of this standard would soon be out of business.We would have eaten here the following day but this meal turned us off eating here.

Buffet breakfast is of a very good standard with a wide range of food and enough choices to satisfy most people.Hot food was replaced as needed so no shortages. 7.5/10 for breakfast.

I would stay here again but not eat here (try Canzona a nice little Italian place about 500 from the hotel-very good and not expensive)

Overall I would say 7/10.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank rovingrabbit2
MarioSusak, General Manager at Sheraton Zagreb Hotel, responded to this review, 24 June 2014
Dear Rovingrabbit2,

Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback. I would like to draw your attention to the fact that we are in the midst of launching a major refurbishment of public areas, F&B outlets and guest-rooms, so I wholeheartedly invite you to come back to the Sheraton Zagreb Hotel - let's reconnect!

'
Zurich, Switzerland
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 June 2014

Stayed in the Sheraton several times for business reasons.
Positives:
- in walking distance to the city
- rooms facing the indoor courtyard are nicely quiet
- reasonable rates with company contracts (standard rates are too expensive for the standard they offer - see details below)
- Starwood SPG floor with additional amenities (fruits, water, chocolate)
- some nice front-desk ladies :-)

To be improved:
- all interiors are quite dated (about up to 20 years old...)
Also stayed in a newly renovated room once but this looks pretty cheap and with low quality furniture (chair already had damaged cover after only 6 month in operation; also had to repair TV, sink and lightning by myself - the lightning is enclosed in plastic which is producing loud "cracks"-sounds throughout the whole night and the water is not going down the sink unless you completely remove the bung...they really should go over this furniture again before continuing rolling it out to all rooms (maybe they already did as it doesn't seem that they are rolling out anything new at the moment to the other rooms even if the GM promised in TripAdvisor already last year (2013) that they will be finished in spring 2014...they only seem to have a couple of rooms already renovated so far).
- Air conditioned in some rooms is pretty loud, even if turned off in your own room (as you will hear the general fans going all the time). (also, you probably don’t want to know what is all in those old tubes, especially if you look up to the opening above the room entrance ;-) ).
- TV has picture of low quality (as TV over internet) and only about 30 channels at all (HD TV seems to be a foreign word in Sheraton…)
- Internet in most of the rooms I stayed had been pretty slow. The routers in the room didn't work either in most of them and if they did, it wasn’t that much quicker (so definitely far away from "high-speed")
- The hotel really seems to be the no.1 destination for bus tourists throughout the whole summer. Sometimes there are up to 4 or 5 buses staying in the hotel for mostly just 1 night with the result that the breakfast is so crowded at around 7am that you really cannot get a free seat sometimes and that you have to fight for your food and coffee...and I'm not yet talking about the atmosphere which is like in a train station with the bus drivers and baggage guys already waiting in the lobby for them giving you the feeling of some kind of "pressure", especially as the breakfast space is open and indeed a part of the lobby..(but just about coffee: please go ahead and put a coffee pot on every table instead of having the service guys walking around and serving the coffee - business people don't have that much time at breakfast to wait for them to return just to have 2, 3 cups of coffee...). And another recommendation: they really should put the bus / group travellers in the annex room they sometimes do now open for the "individual" guests.
(However, it seems that the whole service is only dedicated to those bus tourists and are lacking in caring for the individual travellers in those periods, especially for the business people which I suppose are really paying higher rates than the groups are doing).
- We shouldn't really talk about the gym as this is ridiculous. I've never seen such strange machines working with some air-pressure mechanisms instead of weights and most of them are already broken or not working properly (I always have been afraid of hurting me by using them, especially as there is nobody around caring for you or showing you how to operate them). Besides this, the gym is pretty small but not reserved for hotel guests at all (it’s a public one like, unfortunately, at all the other hotels in Zagreb too). However, the sauna area and pool is acceptable but quite dark.
So, all in all, the Sheraton really is nothing special and they should try to bring it back to up-to-date hotel standards with furniture’s fulfilling 5-star-quality standards (at the moment, it seems more to be a 3-star-plus hotel).
Apart from that, they should really try to care more about the individual (business) travellers and SPG guests which is not just to bring the chocolate every evening to every door…
Though, if you are staying in Zagreb, the Sheraton certainly is an adequate choice if you got a reasonable price and want to be near to the city.

Room Tip: Ask for a room to the courtyard if you are having trouble with noise.
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled on business
2 Thank reiselust_ch
Dear Reistelust_CH,

Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback. While I wish you had a better experience, it is feedback like this that we learn from and use to improve. We work hard to deliver an exceptional guest experience, and it's apparent in this case that we fell short. If you give us a chance to earn back your trust, I can assure you that we will do our best to give you the great hotel experience that so many of our guests have grown so fond of. In the event you do come back to reconnect, you will bear witness to our transformation. We are in the midst of rolling out a major refurbishment of F&B outlets, public areas and guest-rooms.