“Fantastic”

Ranked #10 of 58 Hotels in Zagreb
Geelong, Australia
“Fantastic”
Reviewed 12 August 2014

What an absolutely lovely hotel. Staff were excellent, rooms amazing, beds huge, food awesome and centrally located that once we parked the car we didn't use it for the next week. Service was fantastic. Definitely recommend to anyone that wants the little bit extra.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Josip M
MarioSusak, General Manager at Sheraton Zagreb Hotel, responded to this review, 16 August 2014
Dear Josip,

Thank you for staying with us, as well as for publishing this great review. It is tremendously encouraging to know that we made the connection with you, and there-by justified your choice of stay venue in Zagreb. The entire Sheraton Zagreb TEam eagerly awaits your return!

Mario

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (105)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Serbian first
  • Turkish first
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 12 August 2014

I’ve not previously stayed in a Sheraton (or any Starwood property), so I can’t say if this hotel is typical of the chain, but the experience has been enough to make sure I won’t be wasting my money staying at any of their chains again.

I booked the room through a third party website as an overnight stop in Zagreb before my flight back home after a 15 day trip around Croatia, Serbia, Slovenia, Italy and Hungary (which had taken in a number of excellent three and four star hotels, including a very nice four star elsewhere in Zagreb at the start of the trip), and as a treat had gone for a five star hotel and a “Deluxe Room” to end the journey on.

As I’ve not previously stayed in a Sheraton, and because I was booking through a third party website, I wasn’t aware that their “Deluxe Room” is actually their most basic room with nothing actually deluxe about it.

Both the room and the bathroom looked very tired and in need of a serious refurbishment, certainly not what I’d describe as deluxe.

Whilst the bed was very comfortable I didn’t actually get much sleep as the room I had been given looked directly onto the lift lobby area and every few minutes until around 2am there would be a “Bing bong” as the lift stopped and then quite a bit of noise as guests stepped out into the lobby area heading to their rooms talking.

In addition for some reason they had decided to put an internet router in my room (see 1st photo) plugged into the socket underneath the desk. Whilst this meant I had an excellent Wi-Fi connection it meant I had flickering green lights illuminating my room all night – not conducive to sleep.

Because of the way the router was plugged in it meant there wasn’t sufficient space in the socket under the desk to plug a UK adaptor in to plug my laptop into, so to do any work I had to stretch the lead on my computer to its maximum length and plug it in halfway across the room (see 2nd photo)

On a positive side most of the staff I interacted with were all helpful and friendly, though I don’t think the lady who checked me out twigged when I said “not really” to her question about whether I’d had a good stay as she then just went into the usual spiel about city tax and if I wanted a taxi. As I needed to get to the airport and would probably only have been rude as I was grumpy from not having slept properly, I decided not to bother asking for the manager.

All in all a very disappointing stay, but at least I now know to avoid Starwood owned properties in future.

Positives
Comfortable bed (assuming there’s nothing else in the room to prevent you from sleeping)
Mostly friendly staff

Negatives
Tired rooms
Noisy
Flashing internet routers in bedrooms
Room name inflation (it’s not Deluxe it’s Standard)

Room Tip: Avoid room 247 (and I suspect 347, 447 and 547) unless you have the ability to sleep in a noisy disc...
  • Stayed August 2014, travelled solo
MarioSusak, General Manager at Sheraton Zagreb Hotel, responded to this review, 18 August 2014
Dear TravellingTom78,

Thank you for staying @ the Sheraton Zagreb. I appreciate your taking the time to post your stay impressions on the TripAdvisor platform. It is unfortunate that we did not meet your expectations, but I am glad to hear that your interactions with our staff were friendly and helpful. I would like to point out that we are in the midst of a susbtantial refurbishment of public areas, F&B outlets and guestrooms. Issues that you alluded to in respect to scokets and routers will be reconciled during the course of this current refurb. Although we did not make the connection with you this time around, I can assure you we can, and are better than this one-off impression you left us with. It would be great to have you back!

Regards,
Sofia, Bulgaria
Reviewed 8 August 2014

Great stay. Great location. Friendly staff. Good service. The rooms are wonderful and the food they serve is let`s say plenty. I highly recommend it. Cosy and big rooms, hospitable, near the center and comfortable location when it comes to the airport. Just wonderful. You would feel at home.

Room Tip: Choose the recently renovated wing of the hotel
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled on business
1 Thank Tanya A
Dear Lovebleneurotic,

Thank you! Fabulous to hear we managed to justify our loyalty and choice - much appreciate. Let's reconnect soon!

Wroclaw, Wroclaw, Poland
Reviewed 5 August 2014

I've stay there for more than one month now (counting all stays together) and what can i say? It's really one of the best hotels I know. The staff working there is just great, they really like to help and smile a lot. Makes your day better every time. The breakfast is OK, you have plenty to choose from (but you kind of recognize it after some time so it stays the same) The pool is ok, just enough for 3-4 ppl swimming. Gym is very big. Rooms are spacious and clean, you have the felling of luxury. There are couple of restaurants near by and as well as in the hotel. You have tram lines very near and proximity of main railroad station is also a plus. You can walk to city center as it's nearby. When i will be in Zagreb, i will choose Sheraton again:)

• Stayed July 2014, travelled on business
Dear Tomasz,

Thank you so much for your candid review and you kind words. It is tremendously encouraging to hear we managed to develop such a Sheraton connection with you. I really appreciate your loyalty and I look forward to your coming back soon. Your Sheraton Zagreb Hotel awaits you!

Port Hueneme, California
Reviewed 1 August 2014

The Sheraton in Zagreb was a first class hotel. The staff throughout the building was always a joy to deal with. They were so hospitable and helpful. The Sheraton is within walking distance of Center City and is quite affordable. The rooms were cozy not overly large but very comfortable. I truly enjoyed my stay there and will stay again no doubt. I cannot say how much I appreciate the staff during my stay they pointed out many local spots and recommended so great eating establishments close to the city center. I especially want to thank the kind gentleman who checked me out early morning on the 27th of July as he was very patient and kind with a small rush that early in the morning. I cannot remember his name but he went above and beyond and so did the rest of the staff. I cannot recommend this more highly.

Room Tip: The higher floors seem quieter though none of the spaces were very loud.
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled on business
2 Thank Rnick45
MarioSusak, General Manager at Sheraton Zagreb Hotel, responded to this review, 4 August 2014
Dear Rnick45,

Thanks so much. What a great source of encouragement it is to get fabulous reviews like this that confirm we're on top of the game and that we made such a great connection with you. The Sheraton Zagreb eagerly awaits your return!

Regards,
Dubai, United Arab Emirates
Reviewed 1 August 2014

Stayed at this lovely hotel overnight due to a cancelled connecting flight. The staff were instantly warm and friendly. We were served a delicious three course meal and a buffet hot and cold breakfast. Room was cosy and big. Highly recommended if on a short trip or wanting to be close to airport and accessibility to city centre.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled solo
2 Thank toxictwin02
Dear Toxictwin02,

How great to hear we delivered on a pleasant stay for you despite the fact this was an unplanned scenario for you. We pride ourselves on our Sheraton connection approach to service excellence, and you're very kind to have taken the time to share the fact we deliver on our promise. Do come back soon for a planned visit - your Sheraton Zagreb Team awaits your return!

Newcastle, Australia
Reviewed 23 July 2014

I chose the Sheraton because of its location and the Sheraton brand. It lived up to my expectations in most cases.
The hotel was just a short stroll to the centre of town and many of the tourist sites and restaurants.
From my room I had a view of the magnificent spires of St Catherine's Cathedral.
My room was spacious and my bed very comfortable. It was very quiet despite being in a busy part of the city. I slept like a baby.
My bathroom was adequate, a little dated, with a step in bath shower. I don't like this. It is uncomfortable and could be quite dangerous when entering and exiting the shower.
The room was cleaned to a high standard and I liked the drawdown at night and the little chocolates. A lovely bowl of fruit was delivered to my room which I thought was a classy touch.
Breakfast was very good and staff very friendly.
The hotel wifi is the best I have encountered in Europe.
I think some guidance and provision regarding tour options and obtaining a driver ought to be standard hotel policy. I had difficulty obtaining an appropriately hotel recommended driver. Customer relations is an essential part of running a hotel.
Overall I enjoyed my stay at this hotel and indefinitely would stay there again if I returned to Zagreb.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled solo
4 Thank Leon S
MarioSusak, General Manager at Sheraton Zagreb Hotel, responded to this review, 30 July 2014
Hi Leon,

Many thanks for sharing your impressions with us in such detail. I've taken note of your comments regarding providing tour options in the city; I quite agree. For your information, we've started up our refurb. The first phase will encompass the restaurants, bar, public areas, ballroom and meeting salons and will be completed by mid September. The second refurbishment phase will kick in this autumn and will encompass guest-rooms. I sincerely hope we'll have the chance to reconnect soon.