“Westin in Zagreb”

Ranked #15 of 60 Hotels in Zagreb
Melbourne, Victoria, Australia
“Westin in Zagreb”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 November 2013

I usually stay at the Esplanade when in Zagreb. But the Westin (the old Inter Cont) seems somehow more central to town, so I decided to stay there. On arrival just after 2pm I was advised my room wasn't ready and that I'd have to wait an hour. When I said that I had booked weeks ago and had a confirmation, they said and I quote, "what do you want us to do?". I waited for an hour in the lobby and no one even offered a glass of water. The rooms are spacious and clean but the staff seem to have issues with providing service, or resolving things that aren't completely right, like no in house movies or meals that don't arrive. The location is superb and I walked into town every day. I'm not sure that it's a better bet than the Esplanade, which has a terrific indoor and outdoor restaurant and a very old feel about it. The other aspect of the Westin worth noting is it caters to the tour groups and if your timing is off you can be caught out and have to wait half an hour to get to the desk.

• Stayed September 2013, travelled on business

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (184)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Finnish first
  • Greek first
  • Hebrew first
  • Korean first
  • Serbian first
Hilton Head, South Carolina
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 November 2013

i stayed here for few days on business trip last month and had a conference.
The location is great, it is in the centre so everything was walking distance for me.

The hotel itself is a bit pricey when it comes to food but everything tasted great so I guess that is fine. If you wish to have coffe just cross the street it is 50% less price.

Staff at the reception is great, only remark is that nobody offered SPG offer so I found out about that late.
Staff at the breakfast and dinner are also great.And I really appreciated the super food options on breakfast since there were many healthy options to choose from.

Conference set up in the highest floor looked great.

Heavenly bed is what it sounds! had a best sleep.
Only remark that I had was the inability to open the window. I think you should make few rooms that can open a window more than 10cm, I would sign a waiver liability that I won't jump/fall through it :)

• Stayed October 2013, travelled on business
Providence, Rhode Island
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 November 2013

I traveled some years ago to Croatia and when I stayed at the Westin I was pleasantly surprised on the hotel it was beautiful and it is located close to many great restaurants and shopping areas. The staff when I went were very friendly and helpful. I loved the food in the hotel restaurant the breakfast was AMAZING. The rooms are very nice typical Westin rooms with heavenly beds :-). I would recommend this property for people that are not staying long and prefers to have a good location.

Room Tip: Take a high room best views of the city :-)
  • Stayed November 2013, travelled with friends
Saint Augustine , FL
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 November 2013 via mobile

A short walk to the lively shopping, dining district. But far enough away for some peace and quiet. Very friendly staff at front desk, lobby bar and for the fabulous breakfast buffet. Room standard amenities, clean and pretty view . I will stay again if the need arises and yes Starwood points!

Stayed November 2013, travelled on business
Frankfurt am Main, Hessen, Deutschland
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 November 2013

I typically stay at the Esplanade when I come to Zagreb, which is very often. I decided to switch over to the Westin to get Starwood points. However, the hotel has serious staffing problems! Two employees were gossiping at reception, so I had to stand there and wait to check-in. Ultimately, they passed me off to a trainee who was very abrupt and rude. Upon trouble with the internet, and later upon ordering food, I was treated with an equally nasty, dismissive attitude. I travel ~200 days/year, staying in hotels around the world, and I have never been moved to write a review of poor service before. I have to wonder, are they not paying or training their staff properly? The location is serviceable, and the facilities are typical but very clean and elegant. However, I'm going back to the Esplanade, where the staff doesn't treat you like a mere annoyance.

• Stayed November 2013, travelled on business
2 Thank DharmaBum11
Irvine, CA
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 November 2013

I was there for a day conference. It is an elegant but older hotel. Rooms are fine as is the wireless internet. The restaurant at the top has a magnificent view of Zagreb but the food (breakfast) is OK not really great.

Zagreb is a great city, rural with lots of trees with a modern downtown and people in Zagreb looks like they have a peaceful life. People are generally nice and pleasant. GIven time, Zagreb will be a major city in Central Europe and Zagreb Westin is a good start. Zagreb reminded me of Durham-Chapel Hill area especially the trip from the airport to the hotel. So it is hard to expect a 5-start hotel like a Singapore Grand Hyatt in Zagreb yet. May be 5 years from now since Croatia has just joined the EU.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled on business
1 Thank SamTheCalifornian
Opatija, Croatia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 November 2013

We had have an annual company meeting at your property at the begining of November. Beeing involved in organization, it was really an important event for me. A big thank you goes to Ivana from the Sales office. She helped in organization especially during the check in rush time much over her job description. It was a national holiday in Croatia and she was supposed to have a day off but instead she stopped by in the morning to check how are things going. Not only she stopped by, she stayed all day long, never worried about time. I would also like to thank all the staff of the hotel which is providing an extraordinary service; always available, on time, ready to solve any problem, anticipating all our needs. The restaurant manager kept the breakfast open for 15 minutes longer to give the chance to our guests to eat; this was really appreciated. Thank you to the waiters, concierge, convention serices staff, Maria in guardarobe....you all did a big difference. We couldn't choose a better hotel for our company event.
Iva