“A little pricey, but great location for a transit stay”
Review of Meridijan 16

Meridijan 16
Ranked #40 of 59 Hotels in Zagreb
Reviewed 22 September 2012

We stayed at Hotel Meridijan in August. The A/C seemed fine, the wifi was strong and breakfast was ample. Location is walking distance from a shopping center with an amazing restaurant (Les Ponts) and also the bus and train stations. We were only staying one night in transit so location was our selection point. If you have more time there are likely cheaper options with similar accoutrements!

• Stayed: August 2012, travelled as a couple

Reviewed 16 August 2012

Only reason I am ripping this place apart is service and their audacity to lie to me. After a long trip we checked into this place. It was new and very clean. it was a 90F day and night would not get much cooler. So we checked in and turn the AC on. Went out for a dinner and came back after one hour. Room was HOT. So I checked AC. Each time I checked it, unit was programmed to 26C or 79F. So I tried to lower it. After an hour of sweating I went to Reception and explained what is going on and that this is really inconvenient. (FYI. I work in the hotel for last 9 years and I'm always nice even when I have an issue). So the girl tells me there is noting she can do about it until someone comes at 10PM (I guess Overnight MOD). Now it's 9 PM and 80F in the room. So we sweat for another hour and the overnight guy comes in to fix it. Well he takes the remote and does the same thing I was doing, and tells me that AC is now cooling. But he says it in a way like I'm stupid. Like I do not know the difference between blowing air and cooling it down. So I'm OK. If nothing happens I'm going down in 30 Minutes. So of course no difference. AC is set to 26C or 79F and nothing I do to it will change that.
I go down and explain to him that if nothing can be done I will need to leave to another hotel. No he sees that I'm willing to spend my money somewhere else so he offers me another room. After 2 hours of torture we move to a different room. GUESS WHAT?! Same story AC set to 26C or 79F. So during night I took two cold showers and I finally opened the window (2AM) since now it was cooler out then in - with AC blowing. Later I was thinking and I came to this realization: They pre-set AC temperature high and no one can change it, so they do not get high electricity bill. I am willing to bet that this is the case since I am Croatian and do know how we treat our customers. TERRIBLE!!! At check out no one even asked us how was our stay. And this is your typical family business. WOW!!! I couldn't wait to come to ZG Airport so I can get on a cooled airplane!!
Shame that this nice property has to be rated so low, however if you wanna be in hospitality it is time to act hospitable.

Room Tip: All the rooms have AC set to 26 C or 79F. In the summer your rooms won't get cooler since they m...
  • Stayed: August 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Liparus
Reviewed 7 August 2012

In two words, this is an above average quality reasonably priced small B&B - you will get all you need for a good sleep after a hard day.

Perfectly located very close to the Zagreb main bus station, so it will take e.g. about 30 min by Croatia Airlines bus to/from the airport, 10 min by tram to the main train station and to the very center of Zagreb, Zagreb Zoo and other great places.... get a daily transport card and you can defiitely save some $$$ by not using taxis. Many food shops, supermarkets, pubs, bistros, restaurants etc are in walking distance, including Lebanese and Chinese restaurants, if you are looking for something different.

Big enough, quite and clean rooms with A/C, good quality WiFi, basic, but adequate breakfasts including free espresso - and friendly stuff.

Other: would be not bad to have more TV channels and a small bottle cooler.

Room Tip: Perfectly located, close to the center - and still 30 min from the airport. Good value for your mone...
  • Stayed: August 2012, travelled solo
1  Thank hobo_moscow
Reviewed 6 August 2012

The staff are friendly and helpful. The hotel has a small car park. For those coming from the airport by bus this hotel has a good location, just 5 minutes ' walk from the terminal. And the tram no. 6, which goes to the old quarter, passes in front of the hotel. The negatives points are: they gave us a room in the attic, which was so small that it was difficult to open the bags.The bed was great (even too big for the size of the room) but the mattress too soft. The toilet door did not close (swollen wood), the hair dryer was broken, towels were rip - in general the entire building need to be refurbished, outside and inside. The breakfast room also serves as the lobby and the breakfast is very basic. This hotel is suitable for 1 night stay in route to another place, if you aren't too demanding.

Room Tip: Ask for a room not facing the main street which is very noisy
  • Stayed: June 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Maria F
Reviewed 18 May 2012

We decide to go here after we booked another hotel which was very bad. They were kind and give us the biggest room. The rooms looked clean, stylish and location is very very close to the busstation which is great for hopping on trams. It is located near a road but for us that was not a problem, you hear a bit of traffic but when windows are closed it is oke. Breakfast better than a lot of other hotels but our favourite (Ibis hotel) breakfast is not beaten still by far.
Polite staff.

Room Tip: If you are sensitive for traffic noise ask the rooms which are not facing the road.
  • Stayed: May 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Hannekezadar
Reviewed 22 November 2011

We stayed here because we had to take an early morning bus and the bus station is 5 minutes walk away. We had requested a quiet room away from the streets, which was confirmed by e-mail. When we arrived at the Meridijan, we were given our room key, took the slow elevator to the 3rd floor, only to discover that our room had not been cleaned since the previous occupants had left! The Receptionist, without apologizing, asked us to wait 15 minutes while the room is cleaned, but we opted for another room.
Upon entering the room, we could smell the lingering odor of sewage coming from the bathroom. We promptly covered the drain with towels, but a faint smell remained.
Air conditioning and WiFi worked well, but the windows need some soundproofing, given the frequent trams outside.
Breakfast, served in a dark room by reception, was quite poor. We could have requested some cooked eggs but preferred not to. At least real espresso was provided upon request.
There is not much to do around this hotel, which is situated quite far from the Old Town, but there's a tram stop across the street.
Having paid 396 Kuna for a double (breakfast and accomodation fees included), this is an average value hotel for those who need the convenience of the bus station for early morning departures. Do not expect too much comfort, cleanliness or a quiet night's sleep.

• Stayed: August 2011, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 31 October 2011

This hotel is located at a major intersection of two main roads in Zagreb. Both have tram lines down the middle. At all times of the day and night (except between 2 am and 4 am) there is a constant roar of traffic, trains, motorcycles and the like. The hotel has double-pane windows, but that doesn't make it tolerable to sleep. The sleep quality is very poor. Otherwise, the hotel is clean and service efficient--but certainly not cheerful. Bus station is across the street and probably a half-kilometer away. The train station is about a mile, as is the downtown area . . . so the location isn't great, but as other reviewers have indicated there is tram service. Another negative: When I was there in October the room heat was centrally controlled and the room temperature was very, very warm with no way to turn it down.

Room Tip: Try to get a room in the back if you are interested in something quieter.
  • Stayed: October 2011, travelled solo