“Any port in a Storm”
Review of Movie Hotel

Movie Hotel
Ranked #56 of 59 Hotels in Zagreb
Reviewed 19 May 2014

We were directed to this hotel as the one we had pre-booked and paid for was closed, so we had no choice. The rooms are pretty basic but seemed reasonably clean. Access to the hotel wing we were in seemed strange and the elevator is minute. We had the Jack Nicholson Room but it is extremely unlikely that he would ever have set foot in the place. We note that others have complained of noise but it was extremely quiet the night we were there. Quite a good breakfast in the wine cellar dining room.

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank RIVALBC

Reviewed 29 January 2014

This hotel was a huge disappointment. The rooms were very basic, no plug sockets, the head board seemed to be a shelf and was very uncomfortable to rest your head on. The pillow stank of someone else's sweat! Staff were very rude and and if that wasn't bad enough they charged me a hotel service fee (not included in the booking) and refused to give me a receipt for this. Location not good for town centre but well served by trams. Do not stay here.

• Stayed: January 2014
1  Thank Aristo-cristo
Reviewed 25 November 2013

There are two sets of rooms and they are very different. If you are lucky, your rooms will be in a separate building across the courtyard from the Movie Pub. That is where we were. The rooms are small but OK enough for a short stay. The room was clean and seemed recently renovated. However, the walls are thin so be ready to hear every sneeze from your neighbours. If they watch TV late at night, your sleep quality will suffer. The second set of rooms is directly above the Movie Pub - if you are there, ask for a different room. Otherwise, get ready for karaoke until 4am. Overall, the hotel and the restaurant are somewhat pricey for what you get. But the steaks at the restaurant (Movie Pub) were excellent and they even brought them to our rooms in the other building - so a plus for that.

To sum up, if you get the good rooms, this is an OK place to crash for 2 or 3 nights.

Room Tip: Ask for the rooms in the separate building, across the courtyard.
  • Stayed: November 2013, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Lukas_PRG
Reviewed 24 November 2013

Our room was vibrating from the disco underneath. I asked for another room at 2.30 am, which was little better, but it was really cold. The music thumped to 6 am. The hotel reception is actually in the bar, but such was the level of noise there, that at one point the receptionist and I had to go outside to talk. The receptionist was cold. The hotel is awful, and really expensive.

Room Tip: You should choose an other hotel
  • Stayed: November 2013, travelled on business
3  Thank szf2013
Reviewed 16 July 2013

The only nice thing I could say about this place is the size of the room. While staying there me and my husband got the Zetta-Jones suite (room 12 if I'm not mistaken)for three nights. At frst the size really impressed me! But then: 1. The curtains were very dirty and one of the window blinds simply wasn't there. 2.The lighting in the room was very poor, the fact that one of the lamps was broken, hanging out of its wire, didn't help much. One night I found one of those tiny roaches in the toilet. The room was also very hot and with the windows open the noise outside would keep us awake. Moreover, the temperature inside the mini fridge was hotter than outside, so we couldn't cool the water we bought beforehand. Enough with the room...the hotel is old and smelly, when we arrived the lift wasn't working (and it kept like that for the next couple of nights) and there wasn't even a sign stating that it was out of order. Although we were charged for breakfast, here's what happened: first day- on the piano there were two jars of very watery ice tea, a kind of cereal, a basket with bread, and some hard boiled eggs. The waitress offered us a plate with ham and cheese and coffee. Second day: same thong minus the egg and the coffee! My husband had to go to the reception desk to order a cup of coffee as the waitress disapperead after handing as the plate with cheese and ham.To add insult to injury, on our final day there when going upstairs to have breakfast, my husband was informed that we wouldn't have it, instead we would receive a "lunch pack"- to be eaten in the bedroom. Content of the pack: a bottle of water, an apple and a very dry ham and cheese sandwich. Seriously??? It's definetely not what one would expect from any hotel- I don't know what the criteria is for awarding stars- but this one shouldn't have received any of them. Dreadful!

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled as a couple
3  Thank Ana221
Reviewed 2 July 2013

As promising as the place looks online, it is far from being the cosy, clean, friendly place they would probably like to be. The service was awful. Cold and reserved ladies at the reception, who took our IDs and kept them during the whole time of our stay, which we cut short as soon as we got a room in a hotel where we normally stay when in Zagreb.The only bright spot in this place was a waiter whowas kind enough to help us get the TV working and who remained the only person to smile at us during the say. The room was not clean (the floor, the bathroom, the curtains terribly grey and dusty). The windows wouldn't close properly, the heating worked at odd times and ... argh, everything was just so very disappointing. And I wish I could say otherwise...

Room Tip: Don't go there unless you have no other option. There are other GOOD places in Zagreb.
  • Stayed: February 2013, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Lada1977
Reviewed 23 December 2012

This is not a hotel ! It is a music venue with rooms on the upper floors. Actually two music venues. Firstly, a garage/house music venue which was under my room. Despite ear plugs and a towel wrapped around my head, I slept not a wink. My room was literally vibrating from the disco underneath. I asked for another room at 2.30 am, which was little better. I checked out in despair at 6am...the music still thumping away (I was due to stay another night). Secondly the hotel bar has live music until the early hours. The hotel reception is actually in the bar, but such was the level of noise there, that at one point the receptionist and I had to go outside to talk.

The room safes don't work, in any of the rooms. A previous reviewer pointed this out. The hotel seemed unconcerned.

I'd rather sleep in the waiting room at the station than step foot inside this 'hotel' again.

• Stayed: December 2012, travelled solo