“Radical Radisson SAS”

Ranked #10 of 167 Hotels in Bucharest
Ireland
“Radical Radisson SAS”
Reviewed 4 December 2008

I wish tripadvisor had a 4.5 rating as this is what I would give this hotel instead of 4. First of all to get the negative points which out of the way (nothing major) - some of the breakfast staff were very un friendly - you would be lucky to get a hello out of them if you were lucky enough for them to even acknowledge the fact you were there at all. The Citta Italian restaurant wasn't great. Staff were very friendly but food not great except for the pizza which was delicious.
Now all the positives. I call my Review Radical Radisson because its quite different from alot of the other 5 star classical style hotels in the city i.e. The Hilton accross the road. The minute you walk in the door you are met with a bright, funky Lobby area with the chic Ice Bar in the middle. This bar has friendly staff, comfortable seating, good selection of tasty cocktails and drinks. 2 other bars also on this level but we never got a chance to use but they looked great. Concierge and Reception staff friendly. Very easy check in.
Rooms were lovely and very spacious. Very new and fresh feel to them. Lovely bathrooms with bath but Rain Shower type shower head in the bath. Always had lovely warm water. Great view from front of hotel down a Main Boulevard Calei Victoria. Beds vey cosy and comfortable and the usual Minibar, safe, Plasma tv, wrting desk. Very quiet in rooms - never heard anything from other rooms next door.
Wow breakfast was the typical Radisson Super Buffet Breakfast which was incredible. Over 120 items on offer and good quality. Could easily dit there for an hour eating this. Very very good breakfast if you can get over the unfriendly staff!!
Location was excellent. We enjoy walking so we walked everywhere from the hotel - even to the Main train station which was about a 25 minute walk. Taxis however are dirt cheap but if you want to see the streets and city more clearly then walking is great.
I recommend you eat one night in the Restaurant Balthazaar - one of the best meals I have had abroad yet (Fusion food Not Romanian). We actually ate a second night and was just as delicious as first night. Hotel will make a reservation for you and if you want to walk its exactly 15 minute walk from hotel. Also has its own website and you can book online. We did not eat in the Radissons other Main Restaurant " Prime" but it did look classy.
Had indoor and outdoor swimming pool - outdoor pool only seasonal and has largest Jacuzzi in Europe at hotel! Never used the Spa.
Housekeeping staff very friendly and 24 hour security at hotel. Bucharest did feel very safe even though every restaurant seemed to have a security guard outside!
Recommend a day trip to Brasov where Dracula's Castle is situated (about 20 min drive from Brasov in village of Bran) - we took a tour from Train Station in Brasov which cost €34 but we could have got for cheaper with a taxi. Castle was closed as it was National Holiday but Bran was nice as well as old part of Brasov. Very pretty. Train journey from Bucharest to Brasov was incredible. Amazing scenery of old villages, massive mountains and lots of snow. Definatel recommend this trip. Easy to but tickets at Main Station where train leaves from Gara du Nord - or from CFR offices. Return train ticket cost us €15 second class. trains not the prettiest but who cares with such views. Train journey just over 3 hours. Give yourself about 3 hoirs in Brasov and Bran or you could opt to stay overnight? Hotel used a company that offered a day trip here by car for €300 but I am so glad we did the train journey instead at a much cheaper option!
Visited some other hotels in Bucharest including the Hilton but definately prefered the modern funky look if the Radisson which only opened June 2008. Would definately stay here again if I come to Bucharest and would recommend to anyone visiting Bucharest.

• Liked — Breakfast, Ice Bar and Location
  • Disliked — Unfreindly Breakfast Staff!
  • Stayed November 2008, travelled with friends
1 Thank Ciara32

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (284)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Serbian first
  • Turkish first
Athens, Greece
Reviewed 5 November 2008

I am not by nature a Radisson fan. Some are good, some not so good. However, I stayed in this one and fell in love with it as I walked through the door. Most unusual for me. I think the decor is inspired. I arrived at night and the lobby and Bla bar is fantastic. Service was excellent in every aspect, the ambience is super, the room was very pleasant, well equipped bathroom, the food very good, the waiters and waitresses very attentive without being overbearing and I really did not want to check out!

• Liked — Everything
  • Disliked — The traffic outside it! Too much
  • Stayed October 2008, travelled on business
NYC
Reviewed 7 July 2008

I stayed at this hotel for several weeks in June/July 2008. It has only begun to accept individual bookings in the last few weeks. Prior to this the Hotel was inhabited almost exclusively by tour groups which you can still find almost everyday of the week in and around the lobby. The Hotel's grand opening will be in September (after legnthy delays) and before then it is offerring a promotional rate of 450 RON on all standard rooms and 750 RON on all business class rooms (although I heard some guests being offerred 550 RON for Business Class Rooms. During this promotional preiod several hotels services (pool, spa, some eateries, business center, business class lounge, etc.) remain closed with no opening day in sight. Despite early problems with rooms, noise and dust from construction, and standard growing pains of opening a new hotel, I am very pleased with my stay.

Rooms: The rooms are adorned with red, black, and grey accents in a modern style which is common to newly opened RadissonSAS hotels around Europe. (See the RadissonSAS EU Hotel in Brussels) They are about 300-350 square feet and are both functional and comfortable. The bedrooms are plesant and understated while the bathrooms are some of the most luxurious in Bucharest (believe me, I know having stayed at other 5* properties in the city). Most feature a seperate tub and shower cabin pedestal sinks large mirrors, etc.

Sadly because of construction problems I had to leave two rooms when a shower failed to produce water pressure and one room flooded because someone forgot to install a piece of rubber on the lip of the door of the shower cabin. By the end, my room had been twice upgraded because of these problems.

These are exceptionally luxurious rooms by Bucharest standards and a bargin by Bucharest standards at only $200 per night. (4 adn 5 star accomodation in Bucharest can easily cost 300 Euro or more).

Staff: It took really an extraordinary staff effort to manage the growing pains of the hotel with grace and cheer and to keep guests happy. As a whole, the front-line staff at the bell stand, reception desk, etc. are some of the most professional, friendly, and helpful I have encountered. The people at reception (Violeta, Catalina, Dalina, Vasile, Raluca, Andra, Sorina, and both Lauras) were invariably helpful, kind, and attentive. When it emerged that I was seeking an apartment in Bucharest and was chronically frustrated with my real esate agents, two women from the list took an hour of their own time and translated several listings on Romanian real estate sites into English for me. They deserved more of a commission than the firms I had worked with for several days!

The bellman (Bogdon, Liviu, Razvan, Mattei, Mihai) were always friendly and helpful. When I needed directions to a local Irish pub one bellman was concerned I would get lost in downtown Bucharest so he proceeded to walk me the 8 blocks to the pub itself. If it was cloudy and I began to walk out of the hotel someone would come running with an umbrella just in case.

Concierge: The Hotel has excellent concierge service that can arrange simple transfers and even complex ittineraries. They often helped to ensure I wasn't over charged for things because in Bucharest there is often one price for locals and another for foreigners. Vlad who is the longest tenured of the group is truly excellent and having been all over the world in 5* hotels (Ritz Carlton Berlin, New York Palace Towers, Bentley London, etc.) I have never had such a helpful concierge, ever! HIs colleagues (Ioana and Cristinia) were also excellent and managed some complex situations. This does not mean problem free as this is Bucharest but even if a mistake was made (say a store closed before its scheduled hours or they couldn't get through on the phone) the concierges worked very hard to set things right.

Transportation: One of the areas where the hotel is let down is the car services it uses. Fly Taxi which has the exclusive contract with the hotel is not a credit to the property. It charges an outrageous 3.3 RON/Km, while you will likely get a MB E-Class for your trouble this is well beyond the normal 1.5-2 RON/km most taxi charge. They also will refuse to take customers on short runs, pretending to be confused or already booked. As a bellman was trying to explain that I needed a return trip in the taxi, the driver almost closed the windows on his hands.

Star Limo which is the private car company the hotel uses is a mixed bag. I had some excellent drivers (ask for Cornel or Stefan) who spoke excellent English and were always friendly andn helpful. And I had other drivers who were not very good at all. One began using some pretty terrible words to describe African-Americans, which turned my stomach. Star limo also requires 4 hours notice for a car and will frequently not have one available for sudden trips. A 5* hotel should not have these problems despite the very nice Star Limo cordinator (Eleanora) who works with the concerige desk. I am also told that there 20 Euro/hour rate in Bucharest is high.

Food/Beverage/Bars: When you stay several weeks in a hotel you have to eat there occasionally. I think everyone would admit this is still a work in progress. The breakfast buffet is excellent and served as 2 meals most days but at 105 Ron/person really outrageous in my opinion. Get it included with the room rate. Room service and the bar menu were hit and miss. I had an excellent greek salad, mediocre cesar salad, good club sandwich, good mici (Romanian dish), bad chicken sandwich, lacklusters desserts, etc. Also the prices are strange, you might pay $13 for a good salad and $25 for a bad chicken sandwich. As I left Caffe Citta opened which is an Italian themed cafe which had some very nice pizzas and pannino. This will improve the dinning options at the hotel. Also one night I was there, the chefs from Prime, the soon to open marquis eatery were handing out free desserts to try-they were excellent.

The very trendy Bla Bar (which imitates an ice bar) is open and will soon be a hang out for the beautiful people in Bucharest several Romanian singers, entertainers, and actors came to the bar while I was there. And I was told that Owen Wilson and Josh Hartnett (sp?) were seen there a couple times. (I saw Wilson myself) The drinks are overpriced as with any 5* hotel or trendy bar but it is "cool" and non-smoking (thank God). The bar staff are all very nice too many to name here but excellent. There is a cigar bar for smokers to the side of the hotel (Dark Bar). You can order food from Citta or the room service menu at the bar. A note to Radisson Gold Club members, if you order Citta food at the bar you do not recieve your standard discount on F/B, you must order in the cafe itself.

Overall: In a city where standards and consistency are a real problem the Radisson Hotel is doing its best to improve the luxury market. At 450 RON I was generally happy but when the hotel begins to charge its normal rates, 250+ Euro/night (emphasis on plus) it will take on a different dimension and you may be left with a feeling of overpaying for the rooms but certainly not for the service. Although this is common in Bucharest. Travelers going before September 2008 should realize there is no exchange office in the hotel, no internet access other than your own computer, no in-hotel spa, no pool, and no business lounge. This should inform your decision if you are looking for an all-inclusive property.

• Stayed June 2008
1 Thank abcdxyz001
Singapore, Singapore
Reviewed 25 June 2008

As a the CEO of a multi - national Company I have had the pleasure to travel over years to several corners of the world and be accommodated in different type of Hotels. To Bucharest I travel since several years due to my Business commitments and have seen the growth of the Hotel Industry in the city progress. Out of curiosity I have decided on this trip to stay at the newly opened Radisson SAS, although I have always been more then content to stay at Marriott and Hilton. However, as I am very aware of the services of Radisson SAS worldwide, having stayed in many of them in Europe, as well as in the Middle East, I had to take this opportunity. The Building itself is simply stunning and when you walk inside you just have to take that moment to appreciate such a modern yet elegant look in this city. However, I was not too pleased to see that the Hotel has opened although not done at all. Actually it is far from done and therefore I find it insecure and dangerous for clients to stay already in a Hotel that is still not completely done. So when I looked closer to realize that things were missing, or that here and there job has been done in a manner just to cover and open for some clients.

Then I thought it was sad that the Restaurants have no yet opened and therefore it become boring in the Hotel to dine in. Also the service was very at the beginning and definitly not a Radisson SAS Hotel standard. The employees would ignore you, they would be arguing within the lobby area, having chit chat breaks etc. As also the other traveler mentioned the Maid service was not really exciting, but then also the maintenance was not present when requested, as well as no wake up service as there are no phones. I requested a phone but it never reached my room. On top of all these minor unhappy things that led me to be very disappointed by the management of Radisson SAS, it is very overpriced. So when I checked out and did mention my remarks of observation to the lady and also the rate in conjunction with this, she just smiled and replied with a very inappropriate response. I even reminded her about the theory of 100% Guest Satisfaction that Radisson advertises everywhere where she just said that it is just an ad and if I wish to complain to get something back it takes forever and I shall address that to the Management.

As a Hotel itself it is a jewel, but I consider the difference in Hotels at this level is definitly the quality of service that you pay. And I am sad to see that Radisson has got so low to open such a beauty with so unprepared staff to carry the brand name and then for those prices and those unfinished conditions. I would personally not come to stay here again that soon - maybe in one or two years I would try out of curiosity once more.

• Liked — The design and the architect
  • Disliked — That it is not ready yet by all means
  • Stayed June 2008, travelled on business
1 Thank angelcats
USA
Reviewed 20 June 2008

I was traveling as part of a group and I believe we were the first to stay in the hotel. We had a wonderful dinner and the breakfast was outstanding. Everything imaginable was available. The rooms were very good with all the amenities. Since the staff was learning the ropes some things were rough around the edges - such as maid service. We stayed there 2 nights and the beds were not made but we did receive fresh towels and clothes.
The lobby was beautiful with the blue lights. Hope I can see this hotel again in a few years.

• Liked — Decor
  • Stayed June 2008
Budapest
Reviewed 19 June 2008

I am a gold card member for Radisson, so I was really looking forward for this new hotel to open in the heart of Bucharest.

I am very hard to impress when it comes to accommodation, but when you enter this hotel, you will have to stop as well and take a moment to stare.

Absolutlely modern, luxurious and stylish.

The hotel was opened last week and it was a soft opening. so they are not ready yet for the official opening. I got a great price for the room. Electricity in my room was not perfectly working, but I can include this slight problem to the new opening.

I really and truly had to share the experience that this hotel is definitely one of the nicest in Bucharest, and I am looking forward to be back here in four weeks.

• Liked — Everything
  • Disliked — Ok, a few little things needs to be sorted, but nothing major to mention
  • Stayed June 2008, travelled on business