“Experience Bucharest!”

Ranked #15 of 119 Bucharest B&B and Inns
Helsinki, Finland
“Experience Bucharest!”
Reviewed 4 May 2013

This review comes a bit late here, because I visited Bucharest, Romania quite some time ago. At the time of my journey I hadn't found my way to the site of TripAdvisor yet. The site has proved to be the best site, when planning my journeys.
When I visited Bucharest for the first time, I did not know much about it. Really glad to see a man of trust called Radu is still running Calea Victoriei Residence. He was very prompt, helpful, reliable and excellent source of information, when I met him in Bucharest, Romania.
I didn't want to stay in any of those "everywhere the same" hotels, which tend to overcharge, so I booked a blue studio of Calea Victoriei Residence in advance. Radu, the recidence keeper, was waiting for me at the airport and drove me to my studio at Luterana 1, opposite the Lutheran Church. I was to stay one and half weeks at the Calea Victoriei Residence and probably experience some of the best cultural sights of the city.
If I was to go there this year again, I'd choose to be there definitely in September and my choice would be the same Calea Victoriei Residence. I've heard Bucharest can get pretty hot during Summer, when I was there it was nice and warm. The main purpose of my visit was a local friend of mine, with whom we explored the sights. The main thing for me in September, every second year, is the George Enescu Festival. An excellent classical music event, which will be held again 1.-28.9.2013. My awesome friend got us tickets to like half a dozen concerts, all held at the Atheneul Roman, probably the best concert hall, I've ever been in. It's located just 5 min walk from the studio, where I stayed.
My blue studio apartment had all what was needed; like a bathroom and living room combined with bedroom and kitchen. Do not let the not too fancy outlook of the building make you change your mind. It's indeed one of the best price-quality-ratios there is. One is not staying in a hotel, but living in the heart of the city center.

Room Tip: I'd stay at the blue studio (Luterana 1) again.
  • Stayed September 2012, travelled with friends
5 Thank EliasLaakso

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (3)
Kortrijk, Belgium
Reviewed 23 August 2012

i had a 3-night stay at a studio-appartment here . Radu was very helpfull , give a citymap , and some necessary essential basic information about the city . Location is top . Studio gave me all the comfort needed . I only missed electricity in the bathroom for electric shaving . Anyway , if i'll ever visit Bucharest again , sure would stay here again.

• Stayed August 2012, travelled solo
5 Thank martinlizard
Portland, OR
Reviewed 8 August 2012

The manager of this apartment, Radu, picked us up at the airport for free. He was almost perfectly on time, had a new, comfortable, not smoked in car that fit all of our huge luggage. On our way to the apartment, he showed and gave explanations about sights we passed, and answered any questions we had about the city. The apartment we stayed at, was located right in the center of everything you want to see. With very nice stores, like Gucci and Rolex, being right next door, we were right in the center of it all - all the touristy and shopping spots! We stayed across from a lovely church that we could see outside our window when we woke up. It could be the most expensive part of Bucharest. There was the most beautiful park (Parcul Cismigiu) with swans and peacocks just a quick 5 minute stroll from the apartment, we highly recommend you don't miss this park. We went everyday! The apartment itself is comfortable, it had everything you need, including a washer with laundry detergent (you have to hang dry clothes), and even a shoe shiner. They are obviously well maintained and perfectly cleaned. The maid comes every 2-3 days if you would like, we chose to opt out of the service. On the day of arrival be prepared to pay in RON or Euros, we were sick and didn't have a chance to exchange, but Radu was accommodating, though he did make it obvious he would prefer the other two currencies. Radu also drove us and our luggage to the train station on the last day, and was very pleasant as always. We are very, very happy with our experience, and recommend the apartment to others traveling to Bucharest. :)

Our only complaint is the bed was not very comfortable, it made both of our backs hurt. It felt like the mattress need to be changed a long time ago. We didn't bring it up to Radu, but I am sure if we had, he would have found a way to accommodate us.

• Stayed April 2012, travelled as a couple
5 Thank romeopitbull
Rome, Italy
Reviewed 1 June 2012

I've stayed with my 3 old son at one of the apartments conveniently located in Piazza Rosetti just a couple of minutes from Bucharest University and all the other main sites...you can walk almost everywhere, if not you can catch the metro or bused that are very close. The apartment was newly renovated, very clean and well-equipped. Also, it faces the courtyard so it's very quiet...I couldn't ask for more. I was happy staying in an apartment rather than in a cold and pricy hotel room like most of Bucharest hotels are. Radu, the owner, was the most patient and helpful person, he was driving us from the airport to the apartment after waiting us for more than 30min at the terminal because of a bag problem, then he helped me carring the bags and gave us lots of useful information. I'll definitely stay at one of his apartments again next time I'll be in Bucharest.

Room Tip: Book in advance if you decide to stay here, it can be pretty busy during high season.
  • Stayed April 2012, travelled with family
6 Thank alinafor
Hong Kong, China
Reviewed 1 September 2010

Nothing to complain, really. The host was very service minded - which is hard to come by in Romania. He waited for us at the train station and brought us to the residence at a fair charge. Thorough explanations on what to see in Bucharest and what to avoid. That was a big plus for us. We enjoyed the restaurant recommendations very much and our favorite turned out to be a Italian restaurant! The apartment came with an equipped kitchen; grocery store is about 10-15 minutes walk but manageable. The room is good size for two of us; wifi was good; clean sheets and towels - literally nothing to complain. Considering the price we paid it was of very good value. I would recommend this apartment if you are looking for a couple nights stay in Bucharest.

• Stayed August 2010, travelled as a couple
8 Thank po-hk
Romania
Reviewed 2 June 2010

It wasn's an actual hotel(it was a studio), but we had a good overall stay. On our arrival the manager called us, we decided on a place where we should meet to give us the keys. We had a kitchen, clean sheets, clean room, hot water, hairdryer.
The studio is located in a central, safe area, with few hobos, but quite a few dogs.

• Stayed May 2010, travelled on business
5 Thank marilena_dr
Leeds
Reviewed 22 February 2010

We booked this apartment on the internet before our holiday. We were travelling around Eastern Europe, flying into Bucharest and just wanted somewhere to stay for the first couple of days while we made plans (the rest of our accommodation we booked on arrival in each place). Radu, the owner of the apartment contacted us by email and said he would meet us in a central square in Bucharest. Our flight was delayed and I called Radu, he was very understanding and agreed we would call him once we caught a bus from the airport. This was a bad idea - we missed the bus stop and got very confused! I can only apologise to Radu who was possibly the most patient man ever, waiting for us in the searing heat for goodness knows how long! First tip - if you are going to stay here maybe get a taxi from the airport! Radu walked with us to the apartment pointing out nearby shops and bars. He gave us maps and was a mine of information about various train and bus times, local attractions etc.
The apartment was in a very Eastern-bloc style building but in a great location within walking distance of all the main sights. Once inside the apartment was small and basic but very clean and had everything we needed. We were totally surprised by Bucharest and found it was a fantastic, friendly and fascinating city. Why does it have such a bad reputation? It's well worth a visit.
If you are looking for somewhere good value to stay, I can recommend this place. However if you are there for more than a couple of days you could find it a bit cramped. It is also not very sociable - if you want to meet fellow travellers choose a hotel or hostel instead.

• Stayed August 2009, travelled as a couple