“Hyped up but not fit for purpose”

National Military Museum Bucharest
Recommended length of visit: 1-2 hours
Bristol
10 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 10 helpful votes
“Hyped up but not fit for purpose”
Reviewed 21 May 2014

I visited with some War Buffs who though it was great. I found it rather lackluste and could try harder. From the start it was very eastern Block one ticket booking at a time two tickets one for each exhibit (never checked) It looked as they were working on it out of peak period. There were paper signs leading you around and into dead ends often. Some of the floors were shut and all were badly lit. The museum part was not very well explained and no staff with English around just there to babble at you in Romanian when you were in the wrong place due to them not having signs to where you should go. Outside we found we were let into locked sections if they noticed you were trying the doors. The lay out was not very stimulating. My favourite bit was the few MIG's and the CCCP space capsule. Avoid unless you like war.

Visited May 2014
1 Thank MassiveBH3

• Greek first
  • Polish first
Manassas, Virginia
30 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 21 helpful votes
“Interesting museum but very little info in other languages than Romanian”
Reviewed 7 May 2014

I visited the museum with my kids ages 10 and 13. They do not speak Romania but I do so I could translate for them most of the time.The exhibits are pretty good and you can follow the Romanian history from the ancient times up to today.Again, I speak Romanian so I got the most out of it.
We visited the main building and we also visited the separate exhibit " Weapons and Uniforms", which is a separate building in the same complex.The kids really enjoyed the second exhibit, especially the guns in Ceausescu 's (the dictator) private collection.We also visited the little aviation hangar and walked around outside to see tanks, missiles, etc.I have to say that my kids knew more about that stuff than I did.They were excited to see in real life stuff they only saw in movies.All in all, it is a good place to visit if you are into guns, history.

Visited April 2014
Boom, Belgium
238 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 134 helpful votes
“quite big”
Reviewed 18 April 2014

This museum is quite big. Beside the 3 floors in the main building there is a garden part with old tanks, rockets etc and a few side buildings with specific exhibitions. There is no information in English as in most museums in Bucharest but that was ok. The price was about 20 lei if I remember well (this is not the cheapest in Bucharest but still ok).

Visited April 2014
2 Thank Tommyvdw
Kirkcaldy, United Kingdom
69 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 86 helpful votes
“Good”
Reviewed 27 January 2014

Very interesting my husband was really looking forward to this and was not disappointed. Surprisingly busy people of all ages.

Visited October 2013
1 Thank Carmigcar
Ankara, Turkey
7 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 8 helpful votes
“Museum?”
Reviewed 25 November 2013

Expensive entrence fee, extra charges for different areas. Lack of translation to English on most of the objects. So silent. If you are lucky enough to find the way to this museum, fis ask where the lavatories are, as there are not so many.
If you are interested in old swords, tanks, panzers and so this is a place for you. Want to take photos? So you have to pay more and more. Interesting rules around the city of Bucharest.

In general the people and the soldiers around this museum are friendly

Visited October 2013
2 Thank drsipahi

Been to National Military Museum Bucharest? Share your experiences!