“A nice surprise......”

Ranked #1 of 172 Hotels in Bucharest
Northwich, United Kingdom
“A nice surprise......”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 November 2013

I chose this hotel based on a recommendation and for it's location close to another hotel where I was attending a conference.

The hotel offers an airport transfer service which was well organised and a good price. The driver was waiting to greet me at the airport and the journey took about 25 minutes. It is located down a side street off the main road but is close to various shops, banks and restaurants.

Reception staff were very friendly, spoke a good level of English and were happy to provide me with additional information and a map to the conference hotel. The hotel décor is modern and brightly coloured with minimal fixtures & fittings.

From the small reception area, rooms are accessed by a small lift (maximum 2 people with suitcases). Each floor has 4 rooms, the lift only goes to floor 5 so for floor 6 you have take the last flight of stairs.

Room 62 was an attic style room with a side window and 2 roof windows with blinds. Electricity is provided using the key card. It was a good size and had all the facilities required: tea / coffee equipment, free water, satellite TV, free Wi-Fi, air-con unit and use of dressing gown / slippers during the stay. Again, the décor was modern and minimalistic in keeping with the rest of the hotel. A small, light desk was available to work on.

The bathroom was small but functional. Complimentary Yves Rocher toiletries were provided. The corner shower cubicle was a reasonable size and the shower itself was novel in that the head changed colour when the water was turned on. All areas of the room were very clean and maintained to a high standard.

Breakfast is served from 6.30am downstairs from Reception. A good choice of hot and cold continental breakfast was available. The staff were very efficient and helpful with menu choices.

Dinner is served in the small restaurant area adjacent to the main reception. The menu was limited but catered for most palettes. Food was cooked to order, presented very well, very good quality and prices were reasonable.

This hotel may not be the biggest but you are made to feel very welcome. It has the feel of a family run hotel even though it isn't. I will definitely stay here again when I return to Romania.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled on business
2 Thank Purrdee
hotelchristina, Owner at Hotel Christina, responded to this review, 5 November 2013
Thank you very much for your review and for your photos on TripAdvisor! I am glad to know you enjoyed your experience with us! As you noticed, the people involved in the Christina Team are very close to each other and we always try to do our best in every matter, maybe this is why it works this way. It will be a pleasure to have you as our guest again in the future and we're looking forward to your next visit in Bucharest!

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (170)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Greek first
  • Hebrew first
  • Turkish first
Bursa, Turkey
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 November 2013

I picked this hotel and picked the deluxe room after I searched on tripadvisor and booking.com. Both rate this hotel as the best in town but I just can not agree.
Pros: Airport pick up service is impeccable. Beds in room provide flexibility. Even curtains are smart and just a touch is enough to close and/or open them. Breakfast is awesome, closed to discussion.
Cons: Too much smart room creates uncomfortness for those who look for a nice resting experience. No sound isolation and colorful, dull room does not let you to fall asleep easily. Shower is not smart at all, it is misbuilt, everywhere is wet after shower. Very small room even though it is deluxe, not enough space in the closet. Bad location, it is in the middle of a narrow street. Regular narrow street view from Windows. Hard access to rooms; first access to small reception area with stairs. Then take another stairs to elevator, then take another stairs to access your deluxe room. I cancelled my 5 nights of stay after 1st night. Spent the 2nd night there and moved to another hotel in town. Was I happy? Not at all, that one ended up to have lots of cons, see my other review. Eventually, I was not lucky in Romania with trusting the reviews, I wished I picked Hilton regardless of its lower rate, it was the same price.

Room Tip: Never pick deluxe room, it is even harder to access these rooms.
  • Stayed October 2013, travelled as a couple
3 Thank ersinyx
hotelchristina, Owner at Hotel Christina, responded to this review, 7 November 2013
First of all, thank you very much for your review on TripAdvisor, the feedback we gather from all of our guests is very important for us. I am sorry that your experience with us was not the way you expected it to be, although we specify exactly what you get when you book with us in all of our descriptions and we don't use any fancy angle or edited pictures. I also regret that you missed many other pros from your stay, but I am happy for thous that you picked up. Regarding the access to the deluxe room, you are somewhat right, but I wouldn't call hard access a couple of steps. Anyway, if it is a problem with luggage, you can always get help with them at the reception, the people there are more than happy to help in this matter or any other one. With all this said, I think that some of the regular clients of big chain hotels, won't feel good as guests in boutique hotels, which I don't think it is a bad thing, because it is just so different it is understandable. I didn't use the words clients/guests by chance. Even so, I hope that your stay in Bucharest was a successful one overall!
Amman, Jordan
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 31 October 2013

The overall experience was pleasant. Food was great, the rooms and toilets were extremely clean. The only problem was with the beds, somehow they weren't very comfortable. The wifi was free but we were in room 22 and it didn't have the best signals. Rest was all very nice.

Room Tip: Room 22 doesn't have good signals or may be we have older phones!
  • Stayed October 2013, travelled on business
hotelchristina, Owner at Hotel Christina, responded to this review, 31 October 2013
Thank you very much for your review on TripAdvisor and for choosing Christina for your stay! I am glad you enjoyed it! Regarding the wi-fi signal, if you encounter this problem again in the future on your next stay, don't hesitate to ask for a solution at the reception. We have more modems for back-up and we could try to use another one, maybe it will work better. It was a pleasure to have you as our guest!
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 October 2013

Me and my wife stayed for three nights and were very positively surprised. Friendly staff, fantastic breakfast, clean rooms and all this for a good price. We also ate lunch in the restaurant one day and found the food to be great. I would highly recommend this hotel to anyone visiting Bucharest.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled as a couple
Thank you very much for your review and recommendations, it is very important for me! I am happy that we could make your stay a pleasant one, it is good to know you enjoyed it and also the restaurant. Hopefully, we can have you as our guests again in the future!
Copenhagen, Denmark
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 October 2013

The hotel has a very modern, minimalistic style much different than other hotels I have stayed at. The rooms are almost spartan, but give the feeling of being light and airy. I especially liked the backdrop lighting in our room. The beds are great though the singles are rather small (they advertised our room as having two twin beds but they were singles). The bathroom is small but more than adequate. Our room was very quiet and as I am a light sleeper this is very important to me. The breakfast was fantastic! Fresh orange juice ad libitum, lots of fresh fruit, eggs made to order, cheese, nuts,olives, well anything you can imagine. A great way to start the day. We had lunch at the hotel twice, they have a special offer for 15 euros for three courses plus a palinka. The lunch was fine but since they are making each meal to order you have to be patient. So if you are in a hurry, just order a main course off the a la carte menu.

The people working here are just great! Friendly, curteous and willing to go the extra mile for you, right down to the cleaning woman. I was staying here for four nights with my 18 year old handicapped son (autism, ADHD). I needed a lot of help arranging some tours, tickets, restaurant reservations, taxis, you name it, they took care of it every time. At times it can be a bit awkward travelling with my son but I never felt this way at the hotel. They were all very generous with their time with us. Thanks again everybody! I can definately reccommend this hotel.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank Dale L
hotelchristina, Owner at Hotel Christina, responded to this review, 22 October 2013
It was a great pleasure to meet you and your son and I am happy you chose Christina and you were not disappointed! I hope both of you will enjoy the Romanian music and think of your visit here while you listen to it. Thank you very much for your review and recommendations!
Aberlour, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 October 2013

What a beautiful hotel! Very modern, very clean, very helpful and friendly staff. We stayed for 3 nights and nothing was too much trouble. My husband especially enjoyed the red wine!
Bucharest is an interesting city, it was a pleasant surprise to us. We had added it to our three week tour of Europe more as a convenient stopping point. But we really liked it.
The hotel is not too far from the main sights, we walked mostly, only taking a taxi once.
Oh by the way....when arriving at the airport make sure you get in an official taxi, we thought we had and ended up paying €50 instead of €20. We got the hotel to organise the return journey.

• Stayed August 2013, travelled as a couple
hotelchristina, Owner at Hotel Christina, responded to this review, 21 October 2013
Thank you very much for your appreciations and review on TripAdvisor! I think that must have been a very nice journey! I am glad to know you found the twinkle in Bucharest because it is definitely there, even though you have to look a little bit for it. Good advice regarding the taxis, I am sorry about your incident. The best thing is either to call a taxi from the special machines inside the airport, or as you said, contact someone from the hotel and we can arrange a personal driver for you. Also, if you are in front of the hotel, getting out of the taxi and you think it is a rip off, go strait to the front desk and ask for help and we will try to strait that out.
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 October 2013

I found Hotel Christina on Trip Advisor and booked my stay according to the reviews. It's a comfortable hotel and the staff is above excellent. The design is spare and makes for a very soothing atmosphere. They have a driver who is excellent and very helpful. I would highly recommend staying here.

• Stayed October 2013
1 Thank Nileshore4
hotelchristina, Owner at Hotel Christina, responded to this review, 8 October 2013
Thank you for choosing Hotel Christina and our transport service for your stay in Bucharest. I am glad to know we did not disappoint you, it was our pleasure to make your experience with us a pleasant one. Thank you very much for your review!