“Great room, Fantastic Breakfast, Super Concierge”

JW Marriott Bucharest Grand Hotel
Ranked #5 of 167 Hotels in Bucharest
Kent, Connecticut
“Great room, Fantastic Breakfast, Super Concierge”
Reviewed 11 April 2012

We booked the romantic weekend. Spacious room, great breakfast. Unfortunately, the spa is used it seems by locals and was packed, but it is excellent in terms of what is offered.

• Stayed March 2012, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (219)
  • Arabic first
  • Czech first
  • Greek first
  • Hebrew first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
mn
Reviewed 6 April 2012

2nd visit - not as great as the first. Everything about the hotel is luxiurious - rooms are exceptional. But there are some rooms with very small windows and poor view. Arrived in a cab and dragged all of my bags inside before anyone asked if they could help. Asked for a nice view and ended up with a frustrating experience with front desk. When I explained there was a problem it seemed that the response got worse. Everything else was fine, After my first stay thought it was the only place I would want to stay in Bucharest. Now I just think of it as a good hotel but will want to try others.

Room Tip: there are 2 rooms on each floor in the front with very small windows -
  • Stayed April 2012, travelled on business
1 Thank mnsunseeker
Bucharest
Reviewed 22 March 2012

I was glad to have very nice business meeting here and the service was very good. The hotel's design makes me go there very soon..

• Stayed March 2012, travelled on business
1 Thank Stefan I
Igael_Porecki, General Manager at JW Marriott Bucharest Grand Hotel, responded to this review, 24 April 2012
Dear Guest,

I am glad that you enjoyed your experience in our conference are and that you are planning to visit us again soon.
On your next visit you could also try one of our restaurants - JW Steakhouse, Cucina, Champions Sports Bar, Vienna Lounge or Pavilion Lounge, or from May to September, you can also enjoy our relaxing terrace, The Garden.

Thank you for sharing your experience and I hope to welcome you again very soon.

Yours host,

Evian-les-Bains, France
Reviewed 19 March 2012

4 nights in this hotel. Very imposing lobby - huge. Check-in was fine though nobody offered to take my bags up to the bedroom - 5 star hotel 3 star service...
The bedroom was OK but tired. The curtains were hanging off in the corners and there were stains on the carpets and the shower delivered a poor water pressure.
I had shirts to be ironed and requested this at 11pm (when I checked in) and was told that it was not possible until the next day. Maybe they should re-write the paper that states 24h 7/7 laundry service (like in proper 5 star hotels)...
The breakfast service and food was excellent and the steak restaurant was good.
All in all nothing special and 5 star hotels in Romania are not the same as in other parts of Eastern Europe or the rest of the world.

• Stayed March 2012, travelled on business
bucharest
Reviewed 16 March 2012

I might not be objective since that's the 5th year since I'am a Platinium Member of Marriott exclusive but I recommad you in Bucharest the only 5 stars hotel bringing togheter more points of being 5* than all others...Look for the size of the rooms, beds, pillows bathrooms and services. The restaurants : La Cupola, SteakHouse and SportBar are giving their best to people who choose the Casa Poporului surroundings instead of real downtown - Calea Victoriei. Now there is a contract with a fair taxi company so it takes you 10 minutes and 5 buck to reach Old Town or Piata Universitatii, and 20 minutes to fancy Nordului Herastrau area. Try it and if you fail that's all my fault....but I sure you're gonna come back to JW M.

Room Tip: Go for Executive or small suite...
  • Stayed January 2012, travelled solo
Igael_Porecki, General Manager at JW Marriott Bucharest Grand Hotel, responded to this review, 20 March 2012
Dear Guest,

Thank you for sharing your opinion with the Trip Advisor users and especially for being a Platinum Member of Marriott Exclusive.

We are glad that you enjoyed the 5 star experience in our hotel and restaurants. The hotel offers all the facilities of a city: casino, fitness & spa, shopping gallery and, of course, restaurants. There are five restaurants in our hotel: Cucina - Italian cuisine, JW Steakhouse – traditional American steaks, Champions Sports Bar – best burgers in town, Vienna Lounge – Austrian pastry and Pavillion Lounge – sandwiches and small bites. In the summer you can also enjoy The Garden, our outdoor restaurant.

Thank you for your loyalty and we hope to welcome you again soon to experience the other facilities of our hotel.

Yours sincerely,
Morgantown, West Virginia
Reviewed 4 March 2012

Excellent, friendly service; world-class facility. Its history has engendered much resentment from the locals because Ceacesceau built it as a "guesthouse" for privileged party members and visiting glitterati. I was advised by my Romanian friends to avoid the hotel because it was "no good". It may be best not to name-drop that you are staying there.. but a little guilty pleasure can be a good thing.
The complimentary water in the rooms is Evian. How can you go wrong? The atmosphere is formal, but I did not see a single raised eyebrow when I checked-in with my backpack and wheelchair. The entire facility appears handicap friendly and I had no problem whatever with the wireless internet, or anything else for that matter! I shall return.

Room Tip: I suspect they are all fantastic. The neighborhood if rife with communist era government buildings...
  • Stayed September 2011, travelled solo
2 Thank Goddess-of-Luxury
Dear Guest,

I am happy to hear that you enjoyed your stay in our hotel and that you decided to try it for yourself instead of taking others’ opinions for granted.
The hotel was indeed build during Ceausescu’s time, for official guests and that is why our rooms are so spacious and lobby area, with the marble stairs, are so spectacular. Our hotel is close to the most famous building in Romania, the Parliament Palace, and the neighborhood was designed using the same architectural style.
We are glad that you found our hotel accessible and friendly and and we hope to welcome you again soon in our hotel.

Yours Host,

Wien
Reviewed 3 March 2012

Always a pleasure to be at this great Hotel ! superb food at the JW Steakhouse - fun at the casino ;-)
The rooms are spacious and some of them - at least mine - has a view on the Parliament Palace ... There are 3 restaurants - champions for beer and burger - cuccina for fine italian food and JW Steakhouse ... OMG ! Best steaks east of Missisippi ;-) all in all a place where you feel comfortable and at home ... only the hotel bar should be open longer as many guest might use the service after closing time ..l hope to be back soon again and enjoy the services of this hotel ,.l

• Stayed March 2012
1 Thank PalaceConcertsVienna
Dear Guest,

I am delighted that you had such a wonderful experience staying with us. Thank you for taking the time to share your experience with all TripAdvisor users.
I will be sure to pass on your kind words to the members of the staff and I hope to welcome you again soon. For your next stay with us, I recommend you also try our Fitness and Spa facility, World Class; here you can spend an enjoyable, relaxing time swimming, exercising or simply enjoying the Jacuzzi.

Yours Sincerely,