“Very comfortable”

Ranked #5 of 166 Hotels in Bucharest
London, United Kingdom
“Very comfortable”
Reviewed 10 October 2013

I always prefer big hotels when I travel for business and try different ones when I visit the same city on multiple occasions. Bucharest gives a few to chose from, and I would rate the Marriott as high as the Hilton and better than the Radisson. The Bucharest Marriott is a grand hotel as the title suggests with a huge white marble lobby to match the title. Indeed impressive. The room was huge, very comfortable. The bed and linens of high quality. The bathroom equally huge with a shower and a separate bathtub. Standard amenities, had to call for sleepers. The business lounge adequate, nothing to rave about though. Location is next to the mountain of a building the parliament. You will need to catch a taxi ride to go restaurants bars etc.. but that is not an issue, the are (usually) quite cheap in Romania. I took breakfast in the lounge and it was the usual limited efficient fair, but I am sure the proper one in the restaurant must be huge. Overall a very comfortable hotel, with some true luxury features which will warrant a good stay. Recommend.

• Stayed September 2013, travelled on business

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (211)
  • Arabic first
  • Czech first
  • Greek first
  • Hebrew first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
uk
Reviewed 8 October 2013

Stayed here for business. This is a fairly typical, if a little below par, JW Marriott. Big, elegant hotel with huge, grand reception and large rooms. The room I stayed in was in need of a little TLC, and my colleague also said the same. There is a very good, commercial gym downstairs, and a casino as well as two restaurants. Staff were friendly and helpful. Biggest downside here is hotel is pretty far out of the city center, and can take a while depending on traffic. One morning it took almost an hour to get the office because of traffic (standard trip time was about 20 minutes for comparison). Breakfast was great, big selection. I ate at the steakhouse one night and it was average, expensive when compared with what you could get in the city. Hotel was ok, but wouldn't stay here again if returning to Bucharest, just too far out.

• Stayed February 2013, travelled on business
Igael_Porecki, General Manager at JW Marriott Bucharest Grand Hotel, responded to this review, 9 October 2013
Dear Guest,

Thank you for your comments as they greatly assist us in offering and improving our services.

Nevertheless, I would advise you to consult out Concierge Team for any location details as they will always be at your disposal for any needed information.

Looking forward to welcoming you again at JW Marriott bucharest Grand Hotel.
London
Reviewed 29 September 2013

As you walk in your always greeted by the staff, Checkin was pretty quick and easy, there was some language issues between me and the staff but she got what I was trying to say.

The room was a stand marriott room, I got access to the lounge which was pretty decent. Free soft drinks is always handy.
Breakfast is the normal fully loaded business, what you want you will get. The morning staff are always smiling and remember you which is nice when your traveling alone.

Gym is the best thing about this hotel and the main reason I stay here. its a fully equip gym with not so helpful/friendly staff but no biggy.

They have a really decent steak restaurant in the hotel and a really decent coffee bar. They have the champs bar and the staff are really nice.. I got there on Sunday and wanted to watch some Premiership games (footy), they found me a channel and set me up in a decent place so i could hear the game.
Food was decent, but pretty expensive to be honest.

The hotel is pretty far from town, one evening we walked back from town to the hotel which took a good 30 minutes and we had to go via park. When we told the staff they said best not to do that again.

There is a Hilton in town where my work mate stay, they say its better then the Marriott on value for money.

I normally get to stay here 2 or 3 times a year. Each time its the same deal with service and the room. Being a JW, you would expect something extra but its not. San Mateo Marriott is just as good

Room Tip: Watch the dogs, stay at the rear of the hotel the front is on a main road and pretty manic with nois...
  • Stayed February 2013, travelled as a couple
Dear Guest,

Thank you for your remarks and for the time spent in providing us your feedback.

On behalf of my team I would like to tell you that we are happy that you have enjoyed your stay with us. At he same time I would like to let you know that our Front Office team could anytime advise you about the hotel area and places to visit near the hotel.

We do hope that you will visit us again and that we will have the opportunity to make your stay a memorable one.

Best regards.
Johnston, Iowa
Reviewed 27 September 2013

This is my first negative review of any Marriott property. I just returned from an 18 day tour in Europe. Our tour group stayed at the JW Marriott in Bucharest, Romania for two nights. I am a member of the Marriott rewards program, but not at their top level. If you like your room extra hot, can't even use a sheet at night hot, then this is the place for you. The first night we asked for help and they said they'd fix it. They did not. The second night we asked them to come to the room and see how hot it was. The maintenance man turned the cooling system to "hot" and said that should do it. He said that since the heat was not on, that would cool it down. Of course it did not and again we roasted all night long. The two worst nights sleep on our entire trip. Since I was hot and unhappy, I did not read the fine print on their internet. I thought it said it was free if you were a Marriott rewards member. Not so, had to be a top member (gold?). So I got stuck with a $32 bill to send one e-mail. The employees at this Marriott were extremely untypical of your Marriott employees. They truly did not care. Maybe it was because I was a member of the tour group. None the less, I cannot recommend this hotel to anyone; unless you really like extreme heat and an employee group that is average at best.

• Stayed September 2013, travelled with friends
4 Thank mark c
Dear Guest,

We appreciate your feedback and we assure you that your comments are helping us in improving the quality of services we provide to our guests.

We deeply regret the experience you had and we offer our sincere apology. Please be sure that we made sure that such issues would not happen in the future and that our respective managers are informed.

I really hope that we will host you again and restore your faith in our hotel and service tea.

Kind regards.
Kailua, Hawaii
Reviewed 27 September 2013 via mobile

It's a JW Marriott, but not the same class as the Bangkok, Manila, Seoul, or Kuala Lumpur JWs. Looks like it used to be an old communist hotel...big and not much personal charm on the inside. The afternoon executive lounge was ok..again, not as good as some of the Asian JWs I have stayed in. Seemed like a good location..but Bucharest is a odd type town. Don't think I could keep my family engaged there more than two days. Overall, I would stay Here again, but the city and hotel are not destination areas I would go out of my way to go to again.

Stayed September 2013, travelled on business
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 27 September 2013

I stayed 4 nights at the this hotel during a business trip. The hotel is in a big building and the rooms including bath room are quite spacious. The service is generally ok, the breakfast, however, made the whole experience average. The room is quite noisy and the some of the staff are either not very or too attentive (it's a bit annoying if you still chew on something and the waiter removes already one's plate). Also, the selection of food is quite dull and hearty Romanian specialties are lacking. I expect a hotel of this category to do better!

1 Thank LondonSEAsia
Dear Guest,

Thank you for your feedback related to your stay in our hotel and for the time allocated with it.

We are sorry to hear about the issues related to our staff and with the food but let me assure you that we are permenantly train our employees and we are doing our utmost to meet your requirements.

Information for further enhancements are always welcome and I am looking forward to welcome you back at JW Marriott Bucharest Grand Hotel.

All the best.
Calgary
Reviewed 24 September 2013

We just returned from ten days staying at the Marriott in Bucharest. From the moment we arrived until we left we were met with outstanding service. Each morning we enjoyed a breakfast buffet with excellent variety - included in our hotel cost. Our room was very quiet, bright and clean. We wanted advice on seeing the city as well as touring the countryside. The Concierge, Monica Isarie, provided us with very helpful information and arranged day trips for us. She made sure our guide knew the area, the history and could speak English. Florin, our driver/guide, looked after all our travels including taking us back to the airport very very early in the morning. Monica and Florin helped us sample excellent traditional Romanian cuisine and wine.
We do a lot of travelling and the service provided at the Bucharest Marriott is probably the best we have had anywhere.

Room Tip: We were with friends on this trip. Their rooms and ours were 'Standard' - very spacious, br...
1 Thank HappyTravellerYYC