“JW Marriott and Bucharest” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of JW Marriott Bucharest Grand Hotel

Lowest prices for {0} - {1}
Enter dates for lowest prices
We check up to 200+ sites for the lowest hotel prices
JW Marriott Bucharest Grand Hotel
Ranked #5 of 171 Hotels in Bucharest
Wiesbaden, Germany
“JW Marriott and Bucharest”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 March 2014

I have been coming to Romania for 8 years now or since 2006.

I have tried a lot of hotels, from Golden Tulip, InterContinental, Radisson Blu, and many more…. The JW Marriott has to be the best hotel I have ever stayed in especially with respect to other Marriott Hotel of this caliber world wide.

The location is perfect for outside parking instead of being stuck to the downtown center hotels that force you to park in their parking garages and have to pay for it. It is around 15 minute walk or 5 Lei taxi ride to old town Buch.

The staff of JW Marriott is fantastic, front desk, bell hops, breakfast, and exec lounge are the greatest. This hotel also has a World Class fitness center that is part of your stay at the hotel.

My excursions take me to Bulgaria a lot which from JW Marriott is almost a direct shot, and at 50 minute drive to border.

Treat your self and stay at the JW in Buchi Romania :)

Room Tip: Rooms available on back side of hotel s less noise than street side; but that is common since
  • Stayed March 2014, travelled on business
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Igael_Porecki, General Manager at JW Marriott Bucharest Grand Hotel, responded to this review, 27 March 2014
Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking your time and sharing your nice comments on Trip Advisor.

I am really happy you have enjoyed your stay at JW Marriott Bucharest Grand Hotel and I do hope to welcome you back very soon.

Best regards

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (206)
  • Arabic first
  • Greek first
  • Hebrew first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Tel Aviv, Israel
common_n_hotel_reviews_1bd8 1,924 helpful votes
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 March 2014

This is my 1000th review on TripAdvisor, and I am so delighted it's for such a fantastic property.
We spent only one reward night at the hotel, immediately following a very severe snow storm in Bucharest in late January.

Getting to the hotel was quite easy. We landed at 8:30AM and took a taxi from the airport to the hotel.
You need to get a taxi via 3 touch screens located near the exit of the terminal. Get the cheapest one, which is 1.39 Lei per kilometer.
The ride to the hotel took apx. 45 minutes (over the morning's rush hour) and cost 40 Lei (but we ended up paying 50 Lei, as taxi drivers in Bucharest carry no small change – so make sure to ask for small bills when you change to Romanian currency at the airport).
The hotel is located behind the famous Parliament palace (a 15-minute walk from its entrance, actually), and while it is not in the center of town, since taxis are so cheap in Bucharest, it's not even an issue.

We arrived to the hotel at apx. 10:00AM.
Entering the hotel was like entering a castle.
The lobby is beautifully decorated with off-white marble, with grand staircases on the sides of the reception area. Absolutely beautiful!
We booked a regular Deluxe room using a reward night certificate, and as I'm a Platinum member, we were immediately upgraded two levels to a beautiful Grand Executive room with executive lounge access.

The hotel was kind enough to offer us an early check-in at 10:00AM, but as our room was still not ready, we waited for apx. 30 minutes in the executive lounge, where we managed to grab a quick breakfast while waiting.
The entire check-in process took place at the executive lounge and was quick and very professional.
We chose a 500 extra bonus points as our Platinum amenity.
We were assigned room 804, which was on the same floor as the executive lounge.
The corridor on the 8th floor has a rather unique ripple effect, where the combination of the beautiful carpets and the lights create a wake-like feeling while looking into the corridor (see attached photo).

Our room was facing the busy street and had a lovely view of the nearby Parliament palace and the tiny church just across the street from the hotel.
The room was absolutely lovely and felt much bigger than the 43 square meters it really was.
There were 2 queen beds in the room (very comfortable), 2 flat screen TV's with numerous local and international channels, a sofa, a table, a work desk and a mini bar.
The bathroom was also very nice. It featured a big mirror, a bath tub, a shower and a toilet.
The bathroom amenities were from Aromatherapy, which are of very high quality.
There were also 2 complimentary mineral water bottles in the room and a big plant by the window (a real one, not a plastic one).
The WI-FI reception in the room was very good (enough to have a video call over Skype).

The hotel also featured a high-end shopping venue, a nice pool, a huge gym, a casino and about 6 different restaurants.

The executive lounge was one of the finest we saw in a JW Marriott hotel.
It included a breakfast spread, cookies, great cakes, cold and hot drinks, an evening spread with salads and hot dishes, an open bar, and a very unique feature – a takeaway station, where you can grab a hot drink, a couple of cookies, cakes and nuts to go.
This is an AMAZING feature and we hope other executive lounges around the world do the same.
There's a lovely little oven near the TV, that keeps the various nuts hot, all day long. This is especially nice during the bitter cold winter in Bucharest.
The lounge also featured a computer corner, a meeting room and a TV with some nice sofas around.
The lounge is open 24/7, which is another great feature (although the soft drinks at the fridge tend to be gone by midnight and are only replenished the next morning).

We had dinner at "Cucina", the Italian restaurant of the hotel , which was very nice (yet expensive). I'll review the restaurant on a separate review.
Following a long day out in snowy Bucharest, we had a very good night sleep and had breakfast at the executive lounge. It was of decent size and tasted really nice.
Once again, the hotel was kind enough to offer us a super late checkout – at 6:00PM.

All in all, I think this is a wonderful hotel, with great service and an excellent value-for-money.
So, if the hotel is so great, how come the review only gives it a very good score, rather than an excellent score?
Well, the only downside to the hotel was that upon check-in, we were denied the option to choose whether we have our breakfast at the executive lounge or at the hotel restaurant.
We've never encountered this kind of conduct in numerous previous stays at Marriott hotels around the world as Platinum's, so we asked a duty manager or a senior manager to clarify this for us.
Although we repeated this request 2-3 time during our stay, it was totally ignored and nobody contacted us regarding this.
When we checked out, I reminded this to the lady at the executive lounge, and she promised me a manager would contact me the same day.
That was a month and a half ago, and nobody contacted me, which is rather a shame.

Last but not least, I would like to take this opportunity to thank Ms. Corina Tomescu, the guest relations supervisor, for her wonderful assistance with my reservation.

Bottom line – this is a superb property and I am delighted that my 1000th review on TripAdvisor is for this hotel.
I highly recommend this hotel for your stay in Bucharest!

Room Tip: Make sure to get an executive room.
  • Stayed January 2014, travelled as a couple
3 Thank TheShis
Igael_Porecki, General Manager at JW Marriott Bucharest Grand Hotel, responded to this review, 20 March 2014
Dear Guest,

Thank you for your great review and for your detailed comments. We are very happy to see that you added your positive experience on Trip Advisor and please be assured that it was a pleasure to already pass your kind words to all my team. It is a wonderful feedback and we are proud of fulfilling your requirements and making your stay a very pleasant one.

In regards to the misunderstanding related to breakfast and follow up process we acknowledge your disappointment and we are very sorry it happened. We would like to know more details concerning this, therefore I will be more than happy to receive your contact details so we can discuss this situation at your earliest convenience. It would help us further train our people to offer the best services to our guests.

I would welcome the opportunity to have you back at JW Marriott Bucharest Grand Hotel as our guest and let me thank you again for your time.

Sincerely yours,
St Margarets, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 March 2014

I stayed two nights on a business trip. Check-in and check-out was a model of efficiency and friendliness. The whole place has an air of grandeur with marble like floors and grand stairways. There is also a casino on site, which I did not use.

Room was spotlessly clean and the bed super comfortable. Nice bathroom, lots of wardrobe space and a safe. View over the parliament building.

The minibar was loaded and unusually for a hotel this grand was totally affordable.

Breakfast on the first floor, included in my room rate was superb, everything you could wish including cold and hot buffets, the staff were also very friendly and efficient.

• Stayed February 2014, travelled on business
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Igael_Porecki, General Manager at JW Marriott Bucharest Grand Hotel, responded to this review, 5 March 2014
Dear Guest,

Thank you so much for your kind words and appreciation.
I am very happy you have enjoyed your stay at our hotel, moreover I will make sure to pass your comments to my team.

We hope wo welcome you back in our hotel soon!

Best regards!
Moscow, Moscow City, Russia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 February 2014

That was my business trip, I spent very little time in the room, but I really enjoyed everything in the hotel. Very good breakfast, good location, some brand-shops (was no need for me, but anyway) vip-bar was very pleasant bonus :) I promise to stay at this hotel every time I manage to visit Bucharest =) really advise!

• Stayed June 2013, travelled on business
Dear Guest,

I would like to thank you for your nice comments and I greatly appreciate you added your experience here of Trip Advisor.

Looking forward to having you back at JW Marriott Bucharest Grand Hotel!
Sibiu, Romania
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 February 2014

We have stayed for 2 nights at this top brand hotel for a business meeting. Rooms were big, comfy, clean. Breakfast rich and tasty. Housekeeping and restaurant waiters polite and helpful.
Unfortunately the front office personnel did not get to the level required by such a hotel.
As a platinum elite member I have my share of stays with all Marriott brands. I was not greeted at arrival, not welcomed by a front office lady talking to a colleague about some private matters. I had to ask to be helped to check in. Then I was asked a bigger rate that I had on my confirmation. She needed to double check, said I was right but she did not apologize, the explanation being I needed to get my credit card blocked for a larger amount to cover whatever damages I could make. Of course, all incidentals must be covered but damages? At check out, it was a gentleman staffing the front office that let me know I still needed to pay for a bottle of Pepsi from the minibar. I told him I did not use anything from the minibar, not even opening it to check its content. He said bluntly that this is what my tab says. I did not argue, I simply paid. After receiving the bill, I was not told "Good buy", "Have a nice day" or "Please, come again", whatever it is used to be said. Absolutely nothing. For someone not very demanding and used to sleep a lot in hotels it was quite a bitter experience.

• Stayed February 2014, travelled on business
2 Thank Horatiu D
Igael_Porecki, General Manager at JW Marriott Bucharest Grand Hotel, responded to this review, 3 March 2014
Dear Guest,

Thank you for your feedback. I am happy to see that you enjoyed the room, restaurants and housekeeping services, however I am sorry that you left our hotel disappointed about your experience at Front Desk. We would be more than happy to discuss with you and to find out more details about your situation at your earliest convenience, should you provide us with an email address or telephone where we could contact you.

I am looking forward to hearing from you and to having you back at JW Marriott Bucharest Grand Hotel!
Istanbul
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 February 2014 via mobile

I stayed for one night at this facility. It is a big complex with shops, a couple of restaurants and a casino. Overall, nothing to complain about as service was fine and the rooms were large and clean, but no real character to the place. The location is not great as it is a long walk to the city centre and traffic around the hotel (as in Bucharest in General) was bad. All in all I will probably try to find a place more centrally located on my next trip to the city.

Stayed February 2014, travelled on business
Igael_Porecki, General Manager at JW Marriott Bucharest Grand Hotel, responded to this review, 14 February 2014
Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to review our hotel and for your comments. The feedback you provided will help us assess whether we were meeting your expectations or not. We are happy to see that you have enjoyed the room and the services offered.

With reference to your remark considering the location please allow me to tell you that we regret the inconvenience you have felt, however as a suggestion for your future stays, please be assured that our Concierge team will be more than happy to assist, guide you, to offer any kind of information related to the areas you would like to visit and also to recommend taxi companies (there are totally affordable taxi fares in Bucharest) so that you would have a very pleasant experience.

We are waiting forward to having you as our guest again at JW Marriott Bucharest Grand Hotel!

Sincerely yours.
London, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 February 2014

Stayed here a week In March 2013, like all the 'brand' hotels in Romania, you will pay through the nose for the privilege of staying there but I certainly wouldn't say it was particularly spectacular.

Rooms were ok, not that big but clean which is good.

Staff were very helpful but overall nothing spectacular to report.

• Stayed March 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Migelh66
Igael_Porecki, General Manager at JW Marriott Bucharest Grand Hotel, responded to this review, 5 February 2014
Dear Guest,

Thank you for your feedback and for the time allocated in sharing with us your impressions. I am sorry that you left our hotel disappointed and please be assured that we take these comments very seriously.

We regret that we did not meet all your expectations related to the room dimension. Our standard room has an average dimension of 36sqm, however, depending on the availability there might be slight differences for the allocated room size. Our pricing is in line with similar properties and we are offering a good value for money, given our location and extensive facilities.

We would like to discuss with you and to find out more details about your situation at your earliest convenience therefore we will be happy if you could provide us an email adress where we could contact you.

Sincerely yours.