“Spoilt by one thing. . .”

Athenee Palace Hilton Bucharest
Ranked #11 of 172 Hotels in Bucharest
Burgess Hill, United Kingdom
“Spoilt by one thing. . .”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 May 2012 via mobile

Room was good, with free wifi in rate, public areas very nice. Staff were pleasant, particularly the concierge. Breakfast was good, and the one time I ate in the restraint it was superb. I thought prices were steep, but would have given hotel a 5 rating if it were not for the last night when a function in the hotel kept me awake until 4:00 in the morning. Why the hell do hotels whose prime purpose is to provide people with a place to sleep think it acceptable to completely ruin that for their gusts for the sake of a function. As far as I could tell my room was nowhere near the function (and I had specifically requested a quiet room) so I am assuming many other guests will have had same experience. And to rub it in, the music only started getting loud at about 11 and the just kept getting louder and louder. Whole stay ruined for me, I feel generous giving 3 marks.

Stayed May 2012, travelled on business
1 Thank SeagullSteve
Hilton_Bucharest, General Manager at Athenee Palace Hilton Bucharest, responded to this review, 19 June 2012
Thank you for taking the time to offer us your valuable feedback. Even though I am happy you enjoyed our rooms and breakfast and appreciated the attentiveness of our staff, I am deeply sorry that you were not able to enjoy your stay to the fullest. Please accept my apologies for the incident and I assure you we will take your comments in consideration in order to avoid such problems in the future.
I hope we will welcome you back soon and be able to make your stay unforgettable in a positive matter.

Linda Griffin

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (234)
  • Arabic first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Lisbon, Portugal
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 May 2012

It was my first time in Bucharest and it was a really nice experience! After a research on the most known web sites to book an hotel and checking TripAdvisor comments about Bucharest Hotels, I’ve decided to contact directelly the Hilton reservations departement to get a better price. And I did it!

About the hotel, it is magnificent, with lots of history and well maintained and preserved. All you can expect from an Hilton, but also with the simpathy of the romanian staff. And near from everything… I couldn't get a better location on the town! I’ve stayed on a junior suite, well decorated, very quiet, which gave me a nice sleep quality. The bathroom was new, clean and functional, with very good amenities. The LCD TV and the Nespresso facility it was very good, also. I’ve had complimentary access to the executive floor, where were at my disposal more privacy on the executive lounge, food and drinks starting with the breakfast and continuing with light hot meals and fresh fruit up to 8:30 pm. Definetelly a must!
The pool area was clean and quiet, all I can expect for a five stars hotel.

I didn’t had my private check-in and check-out as described, even with an Hilton HHonours membership, but the normal one which was also quiet fast.

Not the best five star hotel I’ve ever stayed, but I enjoyed and definetelly it made me feel like home. If I would stay there again? Of course, without hesitation!

Thank you Lia, for knowing you. A privilege!

Room Tip: Ask for a quiet room. Not the one faced to Victoria Avenue, because of the noise!
  • Stayed April 2012, travelled solo
1 Thank Johnix
Thank you so much for taking the time to write such a positive review of our hotel and for highlighting our excellent location and the high quality of our facilities. We are delighted you have enjoyed your stay and that our staff managed to make Hilton Athenee Palace feel like home for you. I will pass on your kind message to Lia and your positive feedback to my other colleagues. I am very happy you would like to stay with us again and we are looking forward to welcoming you back!

Toronto
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 May 2012

Charming and full of history from gone by years, the beautifully refurbished lobby and main floor area welcomes you immediately. The updated chandeliers add beauty to the traditional lobby and foyer. Roberto's Patio is inviting with excellent food and service. Try the grilled shrimp and salmon on skewers - delicious. Hotel is ideally located and a short walk to the Old Town. The English Bar and Cafe Athenee offer great meeting spots as well as nice refreshments with pleasant service. Executive lounge is also well worthwhile.

• Stayed May 2012, travelled with friends
Hilton_Bucharest, General Manager at Athenee Palace Hilton Bucharest, responded to this review, 16 May 2012
Thank you for sharing your observations and experiences of the Athénée Palace Hilton. It is a delight to read that you enjoyed our hotel and facilities to their full extent. We are very proud of the refurbishments we made over the last couple of years and it is wonderful to see they are appreciated. I will share your feedback regarding Roberto’s with the Chef and the service team as this is always a pleasure to receive.

Thank you for choosing the Athénée Palace Hilton for your visit to Bucharest, I hope we will have the opportunity to welcome you back in the near future.

Bucharest, Romania
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 May 2012

This is one of the best Hiltons I've stayed at. Almost everything is spot on: staff is efficient and courteous, prompt to correct small mistakes they make; rooms are very spacious (to be precise - i stayed on the executive floor, so not sure about the size on the other floors). Breakfast at the exec lounge is great and even better - if weather allows it - is to serve it on the balcony overlooking the Revolutiei Square.

In terms of location, it doesn't get any better than this. Even compared to the Radisson just across the street or the Novotel and Continental a bit further down the road, Hilton has the best one, because of the façade facing the square.

Highly recommended.

• Stayed April 2012, travelled with family
Thank you so much for choosing the Athénée Palace Hilton and the very positive words about the hotel and the team. Indeed we are very fortunate to have a great location with outdoor spaces to be enjoyed weather permitting.

I am delighted you were able to take advantage of this whilst you were here.

I hope we can welcome you back to our hotel very soon.

Finland
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 April 2012

Checkin was fast and friendly. Got upgraded to a junior suite on Executive floor level. Had requested a quiet room, and got a bit worried since the assigned room was facing the square.

However, room was quiet as 5th floor is so high that you could hardly hear anything from the traffic.

Room was very nice and in very good condition. Big plus for the Nespresso coffee machine.

WIIFI was stable and worked well, but was on the slower side.

Breakfast was fine with good quality.

Noticed the gym and swimming pool, but did not try them.

All in all a great stay, and I would definetely go back.

Room Tip: Quiet rooms are to the backside of the hotel
  • Stayed April 2012, travelled solo
Hilton_Bucharest, General Manager at Athenee Palace Hilton Bucharest, responded to this review, 5 May 2012
Thank you for taking the time to post a review regarding your experience at the Athenee Palace Hilton. I appreciate your kinds comments and I am very happy to find out your stay with us has met your expectations.

I hope that during your next visit you will try the Health Club facilities and support us with your feedback. We look forward to welcoming you back!

Faroe Islands
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 April 2012

one of the most beautiful hotel i have ever stayed at.
rooms were so soo large and amazing. staff very nice.
breakfast was good, but not as great as at other Hilton hotels i have stayed at...
but overall amazing hotel..

• Stayed May 2011, travelled on business
Thank you very much for taking the time to write such nice comments and share your positive experience. I appreciate your review and I am thrilled you left with such a memorable stay, so thank you for recognizing the quality service we provide.

If travel brings you back to Bucharest, we look forward to welcoming you at the Athenee Palace Hilton.

Georgia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 April 2012

The location of the hotel is perfect. The local area is very safe and we had no problems walking to restaurants at night.

The breakfast buffet was delicious. I had hesitated in booking a rate that included breakfast and I'm glad that I chose the breakfast rate. The breakfast buffet is very upscale and had a vast selection. The breakfast buffet was around 30 USD per person. So, if you can get a rate that drops the price of the buffet significantly, I would definitely go with that option.

The rooms were clean and spacious; however, I could have been at the Des Moines Airport. By that I mean, the room looked like every other "Hilton" room in every Hilton in the United States. So, the room didn't evoke any local style.

The Grand Hotel Continental was just down the street and it looked BEAUTIFUL. If I visit Bucharest again, I would look at that hotel first. If the prices were comparable, I would probably choose the Grand Hotel Continental.

We were visiting Bucharest independently and booked all of our excursions before leaving home. We used Cultural Travel and Tours for two separate tours (City Tour and Transylvania Tour). We were very pleased with the tour company service. The guide, Claudiu, was prompt, professional, interesting, and spoke perfect English. I wouldn't hesitate in using the tour service again.

We had the hotel arrange transportation from the airport to the hotel. The service was prompt and professional.

• Stayed April 2012, travelled as a couple
Thank you very much for your kind review, I am pleased to read you had a great time with us and a great time in Bucharest. Your kind compliments regarding breakfast, rooms and service are the best advertising and I am happy we were able to make your vacation a special and one you shall remember for a very long time.

Consider us as a home away from home and come visit soon, once again.