“Dated, but comfortable”

Athenee Palace Hilton Bucharest
Ranked #10 of 169 Hotels in Bucharest
Reviewed 9 March 2014

We had 2 nights here after spending 4 nights at the Grand Marshal Hotel around 10 minutes away (which overall was a far more enjoyable hotel). The rooms in the Hilton felt a little dated and plain, but were quite comfortable. We had meals at both the cafe, and the Italian restaurant - although delicious my Carbonara was seriously tiny for the price.....a total of 5 pieces of pasta! The location is great... close to the old town, Sala Palatului, and museums. Obviously being a Hilton you won't be too disappointed, but I think I'll be heading straight back to the Grand Marshal next time I'm in town.

Reviewed 7 March 2014

I couldn't expect any more from a Hilton. For my first trip to Romania I don't think I could have made a better choice than this hotel. The location was great, it was walking distance from several museums and the old town. Additionally the staff were more than helpful, the concierge had a daily updated list with events that were happening for the next few days including concerts, symphonies etc... They also helped us in preparing for our few days in Romania including making all of the reservations for events and restaurants when needed. They also instructed us on how to stay safe, and thankfully this trip we really didn't face any issues and Bucharest seemed to me as a first timer as safer than a lot of other European capitals. To add that the building is actually considered a historical building and is considered a monument, this only adds to its value.

The only drawback we faced was the attitude of the taxis waiting outside the hotel at night, for which I don't really blame the hotel, as they didn't seem as they were officially dealing with the hotel. To me, these taxis were very rude and it seemed to me they were proposing to take me and my friend to less than decent venues, which really offended us.

• Stayed: January 2014, travelled with friends
1  Thank Ahmad A
Hilton_Bucharest, General Manager at Athenee Palace Hilton Bucharest, responded to this reviewResponded 22 March 2014

Thank you very much for your detailed feedback on your stay with Athénée Palace Hilton Bucharest. It is always reassuring to learn that our efforts are highly appreciated.

Our main goal is to deliver excellent services to all our guests and I was very glad to read about your pleasant experience. As you noticed, our staff is doing their best to help you enjoy every minute of it. I’m glad that your thoughts of Bucharest are positive and I’m hoping you’ll be returning soon.

Regarding the taxis, please be informed that you can always count on our staff to set you up with a safe and fair trip with one of the companies we collaborate with.

Thank you again for the nice review and I’m hoping to welcome you back on your next visit to Bucharest.

Reviewed 7 March 2014

Thanks to our partner in the University I was able to stay in this first class hotel. It is in the very centre of Bucharest, an old building completely renewed; all the services including in house swimming pool & jacuzzi. Very large and comfortable room, rich and tasteful breakfast. I think you can't ask more in Bucharest.

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled on business
2  Thank pietro r

Thank you for sharing your Hilton experience with the TripAdvisor community. It pleases me to read that you enjoyed your stay with us and that you were able to take advantage of our services and amenities.

Also, it was a pleasure to note your appreciation of the end result of the renovation work, since we try our best to bring contemporary luxury in this historical building of Athénée Palace Hilton. I hope we will have the pleasure of welcoming you back soon!

Reviewed 5 March 2014

It was my first time staying at "Atenee Palace Hilton Bucharest" and also, my first time in Romania. I'll tell you how my experience at this hotel went:

My business group and I arrived a few hours earlier to the hotel than anticipated, so naturally, the rooms were not ready for us to check-into. I'll have to say though, the clerk working at the reception made his best effort in preparing our rooms for an early check-in so that our group did not have to wait around for too long. He did not give us any attitude and did not tell us we had to wait until our specific check-in time.

I was booked a room on the top (5th) floor, which is also known as the "Executive Floor". On the "Executive Floor" you have access to an "Executive Lounge" which opens quite early and is open until 11pm every day. The lounge is complete with several tables and chairs, couch, television, full bar with unlimited free drinks, snack area, balcony, smoking room, etc. This was really an excellent feature to have during my stay and made my time at this hotel that much more enjoyable.

Considering the fact that I am a non-smoker, I did not enjoy the fact that my bedroom smelled like cigarette smoke. I just dealt with it though, because I'm a pretty adaptable person and understand that a majority of Romanians are heavy smokers.
The king-sized bed was very comfortable, I had no trouble getting to sleep; I didn't hear too much of the traffic outside.

Usually, when I stay at a Hilton hotel, I have to pay for the internet, but for my entire stay, they included free WiFi internet in my room, which I was delighted to have. It saved me a lot of money.

The hotel also included free access to the gym and you have an elevator on each floor that bring your directly to the fitness center.

The Hotel is centrally-located and is about a 10 minute, non-confusing straight-walk to the "Old City".

There is also a Casino in the Hotel, although they were in the process of renovating it during my stay there. If you are looking for a Casino, I recommend the "Metropolis" by Novotel just up the road.

The staff were almost always smiling and always very helpful. I have to say that the most helpful, informative and friendliest staff member I met at the Hotel was the senior Concierge staff member. He gave me a whole History lesson on Romania and directed me to the best sights in both the city and the country.

I would stay at this hotel again if I return to Bucharest.

Room Tip: For the best experience, get a room on the "Executive Floor" and ensure that you have acce...
1  Thank Jordan I

Thank you so much for your kind words. It gives me tremendous pleasure to read such enthusiastic words about Athénée Palace Hilton and to learn that our efforts meet your expectations were highly appreciated.

I’m happy to know you took advantage of our comfortable rooms, our central location and of course our vast selection of services and amenities. I honestly hope you enjoyed your first visit to Romania and that we managed to make it even more delectable. Also, I trust that outside of the working hours you had the chance to catch at least a glimpse of what our beautiful city has to offer.

Thank you again for staying with us and I’m looking forward to welcome you back soon!

Reviewed 3 March 2014

The reason for Average grading: All was good; executive room and access to the executive lounge as described, location, good restaurant, god, albeit expensive bar. Happy so far, until they have informed me that a 4 night stay through the travel agent does not qualify for points accrual, nor incidentals/extras paid directly with Hotel. A weird policy, as I had the choice and have instructed the company's travel agency specifically, in particular as Hilton was offering a 30% discount on the executive rooms... If you travel for business often, it is impossible to pay for ALL accommodation directly yourself, but now I know to instruct for a different chain... What it makes it really incomprehensible is, that not even the bill for extras/incidentals paid directly to the Hotel, such as dinner, laundry etc., do not count, as it is to punish you that you have used your company's travel agent in the first place...NOT happy!

Review collected in partnership with Hilton Hotels & Resorts
Hilton_Bucharest, General Manager at Athenee Palace Hilton Bucharest, responded to this reviewResponded 7 March 2014

Thank you for being our guest at Athénée Palace Hilton and also for taking the time to review your experience with TripAdvisor. It gives me great satisfaction that we were able to meet your expectations regarding the quality of our amenities and restaurants.

At the same time, I’m sad to read that the aspect related to HHonors Points may possibly impact your choice of Athénée Palace Hilton in the future. In order to ensure you get all the benefits that Hilton HHonors Points offers to our loyal guests please consider booking the best rates via our Hilton website.

I sincerely hope you will give us the chance to make it right for you on your next visit to Bucharest. We look forward to welcoming you back soon!

Reviewed 1 March 2014

Spent a fantastic weekend break at this hotel. I have to say that the hotel staff especially helpful after my wife got pick pocketed and had her purse stolen. They called the Police and the Embasy for us and could not have done more for us. Our suite was lovely and the meals we had in the hotel restaurants were very nice. Will defiantly stay here again.

• Stayed: May 2013
1  Thank Jonjo_42
Hilton_Bucharest, General Manager at Athenee Palace Hilton Bucharest, responded to this reviewResponded 3 March 2014

Thank you for your kind words. We take great pride in offering the best services for our guests and going even further beyond. I’m happy to learn that you had a pleasing experience with us and I’m looking forward to welcoming you again soon!

Reviewed 26 February 2014

Room was spacious, clean and had everything I needed. Staff were excellent and nothing was too much trouble. Internet access was really good and I always like Hilton toiletries as they are consistent where ever you go in the chain. Pool is nice too.

Review collected in partnership with Hilton Hotels & Resorts
4  Thank EastKilbride186534

Thank you so much for taking the time to share your review with the TripAdvisor community. It gives me great pleasure to know that we were successful in offering you such a pleasant stay.
Looking forward to seeing you on your next visit to Bucharest!