“A beautiful building and great staff!”

Athenee Palace Hilton Bucharest
Ranked #12 of 166 Hotels in Bucharest
Houston, TX
“A beautiful building and great staff!”
Reviewed 19 June 2014

This is a beautiful hotel with great, comfortable rooms. It is a large and very busy hotel, even so, the staff were very accommodating and friendly. When we arrived our room was quite a distance from the elevator, and as my husband is handicapped, the bellman who handled our luggage, had us wait and went to change the room for to a more convenient location. There were many people checking-in at this time. Our room was well appointed, with fine linens on the bed and bath. Highly recommend this hotel. Restaurant had super breakfast,also.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple
Hilton_Bucharest, General Manager at Athenee Palace Hilton Bucharest, responded to this review, 23 July 2014
Dear Guest,

We thank you for choosing Athénée Palace Hilton. We are glad to read that our staff offered you proper attention and you could experience a very comfortable holiday. All your kind words will be passed on to our entire staff and we will be looking forward to welcome you and your husband again!

Jan Thomsen

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (236)
  • Arabic first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Brooklyn, New York
Reviewed 17 June 2014

Excellent location in the center of Bucharest, across from the Romanian Atheneum, within walking distance from the National Art Museum, Museum of Art Collections and the pedestrian only areas of the old city. Very comfortable beds and the best breakfast in decades. The staff is prompt, helpful, nice and patient.

Room Tip: Higher floor recommended
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank Cristian B
Hilton_Bucharest, General Manager at Athenee Palace Hilton Bucharest, responded to this review, 31 July 2014
Dear Guest,

Thank you for choosing Athénée Palace Hilton and we hope that you had a pleasant stay with us.
We are glad that our staff responded quickly and attentively to your requests and everything met your expectations. Nonetheless, we hope that you could manage to discover what Bucharest has to offer.
We are looking forward to welcome you again soon!

Kind Regards,
Bucharest, Romania
Reviewed 15 June 2014

In the Athenee Palace Hilton Hotel is one of the best bars I have been to in Bucharest. The English Bar has a great atmosphere and every time I go there I feel like I'm arriving in my own living room (except the bar is much bigger!).

Despite the smokey air (this is a common problem with most Bucharest bars and restaurants - how I long for the day Romania will catch up with most of Europe and beyond in banning smoking in public places) the welcome you get from the staff in the bar is incredibly warm and friendly. It is the "English Bar Ladies" who really make the difference in this place. They immediately anticipate what I am drinking - usually a glass of red wine! I went to one bar in the UK for 8 years and even after all that time the same barman would ask me the same question "What are you having?". No danger of that here - they are professional, so friendly and always have a smile for me.

Is it any wonder I keep coming back again and again and again?

I totally agree with Time Out magazine when it awarded the English Bar the Best Bar in Bucharest!

• Stayed June 2014, travelled with friends
1 Thank Peddlebin2013
Dear Guest,

Thank you for choosing Athénée Palace Hilton as your home away from home.
We are grateful for your warm thoughts and happy at the same time to learn that our awarded English Bar receives, once more, valuable recognition. Nice to read that our "English Bar Ladies" managed to compensate for the smoking-friendly environment. We will definitely share your valuable feedback with the entire team.

Looking forward to welcoming you soon.

Bucharest, Romania
Reviewed 14 June 2014

I know this place like my own home. I've organised great events here (the last one was the Queen's Birthdays Party for the British Embassy). I'm a regular client of the restaurants... since the "La Pergola" & "Cafe Royal" times. We're talking 1999... :)

But I'd like to write about a very special place in the hotel - THE ENGLISH BAR.

I've seen it through major renovations, I've seen chefs changing, I've spent memorable New Year's Eve parties here, amazing birthday parties, long nights chatting away with friends... and if there's ONE THING that makes this place special, it's "The English Bar Girls".

I simply can't imagine this place without Liliana, Adriana and Daniela! They are the most fantastic assets of the English Bar. And not because they won THE BEST BAR IN TOWN award, by Time Out, but because they know how to interact with all guests. No matter if you're going alone or with a group of friends, they'll make you feel welcome instantly.

I was always impressed with their ability of remembering what I drink... and that my favourite salad is the Caesar Salad with prawns (without croutons)... And I don't even have to remind them about that. They just know.

They also know guests names, the names of their wives, their kids and dogs, details about their jobs / projects, about their holidays... And this is what the guests love.

These girls know how to interact with local and international guests, students and top executives. And they simply love their job. It's so obvious!

That's why I keep on coming back.

The only reason why I didn't rate this place with 5 points is the fact that it is a place where people can still smoke in. But I look forward to the day that won't be possible anymore. And that's when I'll give it the top mark.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled with friends
3 Thank Tiberiu C
Lexington, Kentucky
Reviewed 11 June 2014

We had a wonderful room overlooking the park. The room was clean, comfortable, our balcony overlooked the park. In our room we had a coffee making area and below was a small refrigerator. Our bathroom was typical, nothing special. The beds were comfortable and the room was quiet even though it was in the front of the hotel. They had just opened their new casino which was different than any we had every been to in regard to the following: you paid an admission charge, they copied your passport, they took my purse and coat and then I was waved on by the large bouncer to go down the stairs to the basement where there were a dozen tables to gamble and a small, small buffet. Strange to me.
The staff in the hotel went our of their way to accommodate our requests. Breakfast was great and so were other meals we had at the hotel.

Room Tip: We had the opportunity for a few dollars more to upgrade to a balcony room which we thought was well...
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Traveling19-51
Herndon, Virginia
Reviewed 11 June 2014

This hotel is in a turn-of-the-20th-century building, but had modern amenities. The rooms are large and clean. The staff is courteous and efficient.
The best part of the hotel is the location - near Revolution Plaza, and a nice 15-20 minute walk to the old town (down Calea Victoriei).
On the evening I stayed there, a 'prom' was being held on the lower level. So, the hotel was quite noisy and crowded. But I understand this is not always the case, and usually the hotel is much quieter/calmer.
The breakfast buffet was EXCELLENT, and included nice extras like custom omelettes and lattes.

Room Tip: If there is a noisy function on the lower level, choose a room away from the elevators and on an hig...
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled solo
1 Thank Annaliese-KAL
Dear Guest,

Thank you for choosing Athénée Palace Hilton!
The hotel is, indeed, a National Heritage historical building with belle-epoque touches, but upgraded to line along the modern technology. We are glad that everything fulfilled your expectations during your stay and we hope that you managed to discover a little bit of what Bucharest has to offer.
Furthermore, we would like to sincerely apologize for the noise inconvenience during the event and we much appreciate your understanding regarding our buzzy atmosphere that day.

Looking forward to welcome you again!

Toronto
Reviewed 11 June 2014

We stayed at the Athenee Palace for 4 days at the end of May and decided to upgrade to a large suite. Our reception was welcoming and friendly. The hotel and lobby is in the tradition of the many grand hotels around the world. The cafe on the main floor was enjoyable for a small treat or meal with coffee or tea, although if you are a non smoker stay away from the dividing line as the smoke will drift over from the smoking area to the non smoking area. Checkout was fine and the concierge was helpful. WIFI was extremely fast for a hotel.

Our room was very large with a living room, dining table, small office area, 2 bathrooms, and a large bedroom. The bathroom had been renovated and was beautiful. However, the suite overall was tired looking. It needs a complete renovation. I have two small complaints. For such an expensive suite there was no hair dryer (I need one and in most hotels of this calibre there is one available). The 2nd complaint was that the water kettle which would be used for making a cup of tea did not work.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled with friends