“Warning”

Ranked #11 of 172 Hotels in Bucharest
Brighton, United Kingdom
“Warning”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 August 2014

I don't expect clothes to effectively disappear from my room with no apparent trace in a hotel, and certainly not one of this supposed category. I'd stayed at the Athenee Palace several times on business trips as had some of my colleagues, and all was well. However, on a recent visit I left a dress and two jackets in the wardrobe in my room. I realised as soon as I opened my case on that same evening and called the hotel - nothing had been found they said and could I call back later. Of course, and I did so. Still no clothes. To keep this short, after numerous emails nobody could find my clothes, there was no apology, no admission that something had obviously gone wrong with their procedures, nothing. And of course no offer to make good. I even tried writing to the general manager, who didn't even bother to reply. Service = 0. My advice would be to go elsewhere - nobody plans to leave things in hotel rooms, but most of us do at some point, especially if we travel frequently, and not unreasonably we generally expect to get them back, together with an apology. I certainly won't be returning, and neither will any of my colleagues.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled on business
4 Thank fred j
Hilton_Bucharest, General Manager at Athenee Palace Hilton Bucharest, responded to this review, 18 August 2014
Dear Guest,

Further to our direct correspondence, we were sorry to learn that you were unable to locate certain personal items following a recent visit to Bucharest. While we would encourage you to maintain an open and direct dialogue with our team, we felt your posting here warranted a response. As we’ve advised, the hotel conducted a thorough and immediate internal investigation, including a review of surveillance cameras, which did not result in any items being found or any indication of wrongdoing by our team members. We continue to encourage you to contact the authorities which may help with any claim via your insurance provider, and will fully cooperate with any further investigation. Hilton Athenee Palace Bucharest strives to be provide exceptional experiences and places great emphasis on the safety and well-being of both our guests and team members, so we regret any dissatisfaction you may feel with our service.

Kind regards,

Jan Thomsen

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (234)
  • Arabic first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Barcelona, Spain
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 August 2014

Comfortable, spacious, well isolated and well equipped rooms. Excelent breakfast with lots of choices served in a light and stylish dining room. Convenient location close to a bunch of monuments and musea and the old city center, that you can reach with a 15 minutes walk. Professional and helpful staff, though a bit dry (Bucharest people don't smile much).

Room Tip: If you don't smoke, request a "real" non smoking room. The ones with views of the big...
  • Stayed September 2013, travelled on business
1 Thank efimerica
Hilton_Bucharest, General Manager at Athenee Palace Hilton Bucharest, responded to this review, 14 August 2014
Dear Guest,

Thank you for choosing Athénée Palace Hilton and for taking the time to share this review.
What a pleasure to read that our hotel amenities met your expectations and you had a comfortable stay with us. Also, I am glad that you enjoyed the breakfast and that you appreciated the professionalism and helpfulness of our staff. I would like to thank you once more for this feedback which is a way of discovering what needs to be further improved.
We will be looking forward to welcome you again soon.

Antwerp, Belgium
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 August 2014

Wonderful hotel, the atmosphere is great the building outside but also inside looks very nice.
Staff is very friendly and helpful. the rooms a big and everything you need is available.
The breakfast with great and enough different possibilities. This is not a cheap hotel but compare Quality and price is it ok

• Stayed July 2014, travelled on business
1 Thank Lucbos
Dear Guest,

Thank you for choosing Athénée Palace Hilton and for taking the time to share this valuable review.
I am really glad to read that you had a pleasant stay with us and you appreciated the helpfulness of our staff. Also, I am happy that the rooms and our historical building were according to your taste and that you enjoyed our breakfast. I hope that we will have the pleasure of welcoming you again soon.

London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 August 2014

I am hilton gold and booked with points and money for a weekend leisure tip with my. Wife and young son. We had booked the cheapest room but were upgraded to a lovely spacious corner suite with great views and exec lounge access.

The hotel is approx 25-35 minutes by taxi from the main airport and is well located in central bucharest walking distance to the old town in which these are some lovely old buildings, museums and good selections of bars, restaurants and cafés.

The hotel is an older 'heritage style' building on a commanding corner plot with five floors. During our stay over a weekend the hotel was very quiet with guests predominantly from North America staying before departing on a Viking river cruise.

The executive lounge is small but perfectly adequate, there is a narrow balcony which runs along the length of the lounge affording excellent views across the city centre. The lounge offers a modest but adequate breakfast, afternoon tea and evening canapés. Alcoholic beverages are offered from 6-8pm (beer, local wine, sparking wine, whiskey, vodka and martini). There is also a separate smoking room if like many Romanians you like to smoke.

The service at the hotel was friendly and efficient with good level of English spoken and understood. We had room service which was delivered very promptly (within 25mins) and was hot and tasty (we enjoyed the chicken curry but the club sandwich was slightly below par)

The room we had was lovely, a little old but well maintained, light and spacious. I like a firm bed and found the bed comfortable, there was no separate shower and the over bath shower was a little too low for my height but overall we were very happy with the room. It came with an expression machine (not nespresso but similar) but I'm not sure if this was because we were a suite. The view was excellent and facilities for my toddler son were excellent with a good baby cot provided and high chair.

We used the pool daily and although small it was clean, warm and deep enough to swim in there is also a jacuzzi and excellent shower facilities for changing in.

Overall an excellent stay and I would recommend, the other two options I noticed locally were the radisson Blu which is a larger more modern hotel around the corner or the towering intercontinental which is slightly more central.

Room Tip: Views to the front of the hotel are more interesting although there is some traffic noise, corner su...
  • Stayed August 2014, travelled with family
2 Thank p750777
Hilton_Bucharest, General Manager at Athenee Palace Hilton Bucharest, responded to this review, 12 August 2014
Dear Guest,

First of all, I would like to thank you for taking the time to write this valuable detailed review.
I am happy to read that you enjoyed every minute of your stay with us and that you greatly appreciated our central location with walking distance to the main sights, as well as our professional service.
Also, I am glad that you felt comfortable in our spacious suite and that you could get a glimpse of Bucharest due to its perfect view. Nonetheless, it is really good to hear that you enjoyed our hotel amenities and you would further recommend it. I would like to apologize for any inconvenience that you may have encountered and please rest assured that your valuable recommendations will be taken into consideration for further improvement.

Once more, thank you for your detailed review and we will be looking forward to welcome you and your family soon.

Roseland, New Jersey
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 August 2014

Frequent business travelers look for a centrally-located hotel with (1) excellent coffee (2) quick and yummy breakfast (3) solid connectivity (4) reliable laundry/pressing. It's all here AND there is coffee-to-go in the morning. Great service from the front desk and the housekeeping staff.

• Stayed August 2014, travelled on business
Review collected in partnership with Hilton Hotels & Resorts

2 Thank Jenn R
Dear Guest,

I was delighted to read that you had a pleasant stay with us. We are striving to meet the needs of our guests and I am happy that we could fulfil your expectations. Also, I am glad that you enjoyed the breakfast and you appreciated the professionalism of our staff, as well as our hotel amenities.
I truly hope that we will have the pleasure of welcoming you again soon.

Montreal, United Arab Emirates
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 August 2014

Beautiful historical hotel in the center of Bucharest,in which the refined luxury of the inter-bellum years blends perfectly with the modern amenities of our times. The personnel is warm, cordial, helpful. The overall experience was a very pleasant one, to be repeated at the earliest opportunity.

• Stayed August 2014, travelled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with Hilton Hotels & Resorts

Dear Guest,

It is really nice to learn that you had a pleasant experience and that you would consider visit us again. Our hotel is indeed charged with history and we are trying to preserve the interbelic atmosphere, while adding modern touches.
Moreover, I am glad that you appreciated our service and you found our staff helpful and cordial.
We will be looking forward to welcome you again soon.

London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 August 2014

Great location on Revolution Square. Nice restaurants in the streets around the hotel and a 15min walk to the old town. Friendly, helpful and professional staff throughout. A touch dated decor in rooms but that's part of the charm. Fantastic lobby and very nice pool/spa area.
If Carlsberg did hotels... well done Hilton.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
Hilton_Bucharest, General Manager at Athenee Palace Hilton Bucharest, responded to this review, 11 August 2014
Dear Guest,

Thank you for choosing Athénée Palace Hilton whilst staying in Bucharest and for sharing your valuable review on TripAdvisor.
I was happy to read that you were extremely satisfied with the professional service we provide and you had a perfect stay with us. We are pleased we made it right for you and that our hotel amenities were according to your taste.
I will gladly share your kind words to the entire team and we are looking forward to welcome you again soon.