“Excellent hotel!”

Grand Hotel Continental
Ranked #15 of 169 Hotels in Bucharest
Reviewed 16 February 2014

It is an amazing place located in the center of the town, near to the old city center. It is a very quiet and comfortable place. It is just perfect for business or pleasure. Also the food in the restaurants of the hotel is very good. I traveled from Timisoara here and was a very pleasant stay.

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled on business
1  Thank Raluca M

Reviewed 2 February 2014 via mobile

I just came back home from this hotel and the only word I can say to describe it is....AMAZING!!!!!!The rooms are so comfortable with elegant and expensive furnitures and linen.The personnel is very polite and helpful.By far The best hotel in Bucharest!!!!!I can't wait to return....

• Stayed: January 2014
1  Thank AnnaPappa
ContinentalHotelsRO, General Manager at Grand Hotel Continental, responded to this reviewResponded 4 February 2014

Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback of the Grand Hotel Continental. I am very happy to hear that you enjoyed your stay with us and, also very pleased to read your appraisal of our team, services, and facilities. I have shared your kind remarks and recognition of their efforts to meet your needs.

I certainly look forward to welcoming you back in Bucharest in the very near future.

Best regards,

Reviewed 31 January 2014

A truly luxurious Hotel, wonderful friendly staff, nothing was too much trouble for them. The beds, pillows and duvets were so comfortable. The power shower in the bathroom had added jets to it, a clever idea was a night light that stayed on in the bathroom so you could nip to the loo in the night nd no need to turn lights on. Every evening turn down service and a box with 2 extra special chocolates placed on your pillow. Sheets and pillows and towels changed daily. they even provided an umbrella in the wardrobe. It was constant heavy snow but the entrance to the hotel was kept clear and dry. They also provided the most comfortable conference facilities.
Food excellent, the evening dining room wine list was extortionate but other wise a wonderful 3 day trip to , if it could have been seen better, a beautiful city with lovely people. definitely 5*

Room Tip: 4 of us went and all 4 rooms were beautiful
  • Stayed: January 2014, travelled on business

Dear guest,

Thank you so much for taking the time to post your comments on TripAdvisor regarding your recent stay at Grand Hotel Continental.

It is such a great pleasure to learn that you found our hotel truly luxurious. I have shared all your wonderful comments to my team and we all sincerely thank you.

Looking forward to welcoming you back amongst us I remain at your entire disposal.

Best regards,

Reviewed 27 January 2014

The hotel was reasonably good - clean room, good room service and the breakfast was good. I stayed there for 2 nights and the hotel location is quite convenient.

At the end of my stay...the hotel reception put me on a Taxi which ripped me for 100 Leis to Airport - That was very disappointing.

• Stayed: January 2014, travelled solo
2  Thank Ramesh N

Dear guest,

Thank you for taking the time to post your review on TripAdvisor. I am most grateful for your feedback, which is such a valuable source of information for me, regardless of whether it is good or bad, and helps me monitor the service we provide.

I am very sorry about your experience with the taxi to the airport. For this kind of services we are collaborating with several taxi companies that are issuing receipt at the end of the transfer and have always the price/km displayed on the car.

Usually a transfer by taxi from the hotel to the airport cost around 60 - 70 lei, can you tell us the company name you've traveled in order to send them formal complaint?

Please contact me on my personal email address, sanda.almasan [at] grandhotelcontinental.ro.

Waiting for your answer I remain at your disposal.

Reviewed 28 December 2013

I found the hotel fantastic for my business in Romania.The rooms are large, clean and very comfortable
the breakfast was very impressive and hugely enjoyable.Staff were very friendly.good location close to downtown.

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled on business
2  Thank Bugazia
ContinentalHotelsRO, General Manager at Grand Hotel Continental, responded to this reviewResponded 24 January 2014

Dear guest,

Thank you for taking the time to write such a positive review on TripAdvisor regarding your stay with us.

I am delighted that you enjoyed the rooms as well as the breakfast.

I am so pleased that we lived up to your expectations and I have passed your kind comments to the team who are very grateful .

We all do hope we will have the pleasure of welcoming you back on a future visit and please do not hesitate to contact us if we can be of any assistance at any time.

Warm regards,

General Manager, Grand Hotel Continental Bucharest

Reviewed 17 December 2013

I stayed in the hotel for 2 nights for business. This was my experience:

Staff:
All people I had contact with in the hotel were very friendly, explaining everything without having been asking, which usually is not common in Romania - at least I haven't experienced it very often. I especially want to emphasis that also the service in both restaurants that the hotel runs was better than in an average restaurant in Bucharest. Also the wifi worked well, which is very important and not the case in many hotels.

General remarks:

* When I chose the hotel I knew that this would be not a minimalistic design hotel (which I usually prefer) but a lot more puffy. There are a lot of hotels which are also "puffy" but which do it well, where it feels cosy and high-class. This hotel for my taste has a way too many curtains and silky sheets everywhere. It's not far from having the feeling of „grandmother’s home“ that hasn’t been aired or cleaned for decades (although the hotel is clean).

* Smoking in public places is something that I would say is a no-go for a hotel these days. In this hotel it is allowed in one part of the hotel bar. Because there is no closed wall or door you can also smell the smoke in the next room.

* In winter it's cold when you sit in the lobby because everyone someone opens the door you get a full load of cold air because they do not have any curtains or something else to shield off the wind.

Fitness/Spa:
* I wanted to get a massage but I didn't get one because they were fully booked. Strange for a hotel that didn't seemed to be fully booked - so I guess they had a lot of guests that were not staying in the hotel.

* The temperature in the fitness center is too high because the fitness room is part of the spa area and there is no door between the two parts. So you have the same moisture level and heat level in the fitness room as in the pool & sauna area.

Rooms
* size-wise ok

* especially the bathroom could be cleaner

* shower was not good and of inferior quality. when you opend the shower door you had to be careful not to make yourself completely wet and along with you the whole bathroom.

Food/Restaurants

* The breakfast was ok and there was nothing to complain about - maybe they could add some darker breads. Although for a 5* hotel I would give it a 6 on a scale from 1 (worst) to 10 (best).

* If you're putting 5* next to a hotel logo one should avoid Ikea. They have Ikea plastic table coasters on the tables.

* I once had lunch in the restaurant in the basement and once dinner in the restaurant on the ground floor. Both times the ingredients were all fresh and of good quality. The preparation however was really bad and just showed that the chef has probably never cooked outside of Romania or knows little about spicing or how long to cook things before they become a mash.

- Lunch first: I had a salad with some feta cheese in sesame curst - generally a nice try but badly done. Afterwards I had dolma on polenta - generally not wise to do that because you have 2 soft things mixed - anyway: the rice inside the vine-leaves was overcooked to hell .. and there was no texture inside .. and the spicing was not existent. …

- As for dinner: I had a soup .. that was basically just hot water with vegetables inside .. the good thing was the vegetables were not over-boiled .. but also the soup just tasted like water … the lamm chops I had afterwards I almost could not eat .. the meat was far from tender .. there was too much fat left on the lamm chops .. there was no interesting spicing/crust .. the tiramisu for desert was not comparable to real, italian tiramisu .. was ok to eat but I could have bought it in some supermarket

Room Tip: ask for a window with view - because they have these silky curtains everywhere it is depressing othe...
  • Stayed: December 2013, travelled on business
1  Thank koberecker
Reviewed 17 December 2013 via mobile

Well appointed hotel in a good central location. Hotel managed transfers from and to the airport - essential for Romania. Front desk very helpful. Very good comprehensive breakfast with excellent service. Bathroom basin was a triumph of design over functionality though. Make sure you have plenty if towels!

Stayed: December 2013, travelled with friends