“Great hotel but be careful.”

InterContinental Bucharest
Ranked #8 of 168 Hotels in Bucharest
Dallas
“Great hotel but be careful.”
Reviewed 18 February 2014

The hotel is without question very nice. The staff are absolutely first class. The Club Lounge is without question one of the best I have ever been in. The pool is great and the work out facilities are excellent. My junior suite was wonderful with an outstanding view from the 15th floor. The room had a large balcony that was great for morning coffee. My one cautionary caveat regards the door to the room.

The door to my room did not close on its own thus it was very important that you be SURE you have pulled the door completely closed when you leave. I wish I had been advised when I checked in that the doors are not self closing or more accurately are self closing about 75% of the time. Unfortunately I went to the lobby bar to meet associates for about an hour and foolishly chose to leave my Ipad charging while I was downstairs. I did not realize at the time the door might not close all the way when I left and alas on this occasion it did not. When I came back my Ipad was gone. I certainly accept my responsibility for letting my guard down as there is a perfectly good safe where all my other valuables were stored but I do regret the hotel did not advise that one needs to be certain the door closes behind them.

Having said that, I can still comfortably recommend the hotel and just hope others might learn from my mishap as I know I have!

1 Thank Charles W
InterContinenta... B, General Manager at InterContinental Bucharest, responded to this review, 23 February 2014
Dear Guest,

Thank you for your review. I am glad that your experience with us was overall a nice one and you have enjoyed some time at the Club InterContinental Lounge and at the 22nd Health Club as well. I am really sorry for the inconvenience experienced with the Ipad.

Thank you for recommending our hotel.

I hope I will have the chance to welcome you back in the near future.

All the best,

Stefan Frank

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (270)
  • Arabic first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Monument, Colorado
Reviewed 13 February 2014

I recently had the opportunity to spend two weeks at the InterContinental Bucharest. The hotel is a large 22 story hotel one block from Old Town Bucharest. The rooms are spacious, very comfortable, and spotlessly clean. A Metro stop is located within steps of the hotel. The hotel's many facilities are outstanding. The fitness center is equipped with lockers and changing rooms, as well as a weight room, sauna, steam room, swimming pool and Jacuzzi. The wireless WIFI internet connection is reliable and very fast. I have to agree with the comments made by DogWhispere03 regarding the hotel's staff. The staff was attentive, extremely professional and always courteous. Given the opportunity to visit Bucharest in the future, I would definitely stay at the InterContinental Bucharest again. Lastly, I highly recommend the hotel to anyone searching for an excellent comfortable hotel in Bucharest.

Dear Guest,

Thank you for your great review. I am so happy to read that you had a really enjoyable time with us. Thank you for recommending our locations, the 22nd Health Club and most important, the service provided by my colleagues. It is really great for us to read your feedback. Once again thank you.

I am looking forward to your next visit!

Best regards,

Memphis, Tennessee
Reviewed 9 February 2014

The InterCon in Bucharest is an old hotel that has been thoroughly modernized. The rooms are large and extremely comfortable. It is centrally located with easy access to many attractions and close to several good restaurants and a metro stop. All of the hotel facilities are outstanding; the fitness center and pool are large, modern and attractive; the Club (on the 22nd floor) is excellent; and the restaurant and coffee lounge are very good. The WiFi internet connection in the room (and throughout the public areas in the hotel) is fast and reliable. I was in the hotel for two weeks and the internet was never down. A word of advice, take the time and spend the money to join the IHG Club at the Ambassador level. This will insure free access to the Fitness Center and Pool, and free in-room internet, as well as discounted access to all of the amenities at the Club. This is an investment that pays for itself very, very quickly. The best part of the hotel is the staff. Everyone that I encountered was unfailingly polite, professional and solicitous. I would stay here again in a heartbeat.

Room Tip: Higher floors avoid some of the traffic noise and offer a better view, obviously.
  • Stayed January 2014, travelled on business
1 Thank DogWhispere03
Dear Guest,

Thank you for sharing your experience at the InterContinental Bucharest. I am so happy to read that you found our hotel to your liking. Thank you for all the nice words addressed to my colleagues. It is really a great pleasure to read your feedback. I am very happy that you spent time at the Club InterContinental Lounge and also at the 22nd Health Club, places one can not miss when accommodated at the InterContinental Bucharest.
Thank you for all your recommendation.

I am looking forward to the next opportunity to welcome you back.

My best wishes,

Prague, Czech Republic
Reviewed 7 February 2014

Typing this in my room before I head off for the airport.

When you come into Bucharest airport, as you leave the arrivals there is a machine to your left. Take a ticket for a taxi then head outside. The journey is around 35-40 minutes and will cost between 40-60 LEI depending on which way the driver goes.
***NOTE*** - 99.99% of the taxis DO NOT accept cards so get some cash out at the ATM in the airport.

Check in was extremely quick with 5 people on check in duty when I arrived.
Ask for a higher floor if possible. As Platinum member you will likely be upgraded to a suite but these are on 3rd floor from my experience.

Rooms are fine. Firm bed, pillow choice. Flat screen Smart tv with range of channels and news channels. Many in English.
Tea, coffee, mini bar, iron, ironing board, in room safe. Plenty of hanging space and good work space. Wifi throughout the hotel (free to priority club elite but I think for non elite members there is a charge)

Lobby bar is fine serving local beers and a few imported ones. 16 LEI for a large beer.

On teh 1st night my colleague and I went out for food. We were recommended a restaurant called The Red Steak House ( at least I think that is what it is called) which is done like an American steak house. Saddles for seats along the bar ! The food is outstanding and for starters, 2 big steak main courses, side dishes and a few beers each I think the bill for 2 people came to around 75GBP / $120. Quick service, friendly English speaking staff, great atmosphere and excellent food. We were there on a Wednesday night and they have a live singer. Eating steak and listening to blues....a good combination. The place is only a 10 minute walk from the hotel and the neighbourhood is perfectly safe.
**TIP** try the dark beer.

2nd night we stayed in the hotel and as we both had access to the club lounge on the top floor we stayed there.
Nice quiet lounge on the top floor with complimentary food and drinks. Snacks during the afternoon and a light buffet selection in the evening that had sushi, chicken and rice, cheeses, soup etc etc. Alcoholic drinks from 6pm. Choice of wines, beers, whiskys and spirits.
This lounge is quiet and relaxing and has plenty of plug sockets for charging phones /tablets/notebooks etc.

I took breakfast in the main breakfast area each morning.
Omelette station, sausages, bacon, mushrooms, scrambled eggs, potatoes are your choice of hot.
Huge cold selection of fruits, cheeses, meats, salad and wide choices of bread on teh cold section.
And the coffee.
I had read somewhere on one of the TA reviews for this place about the breakfast coffee. They weren't wrong. It is fantastic! I normally grind my coffee fresh every morning and this certainly tasted as if it had just been ground fresh before it was poured. Both mornings it was delicious.

Then up to the room for a shower and get ready to leave.
The bathroom has all the usual stuff as well as built in vanity mirror with lights and a hair dryer for the ladies. The bath is nice and deep (although seems to be slightly raised so may be awkward for some to get into / out of) and the shower strips the skin off your back which is great. Full pressure and lots of hot water. Certainly wakes you up!

I didnt use either of the restaurants at night time and didn't use the gym or pool.

The hotel is an Intercontinental and so you expect a certain standard but it is the small things that make a difference. Like the small card that is left in your room each day telling you what the weather will be like the next day and some bullet point facts about Bucharest / Romanian history or folklore.

If there was one 'thing' that I noticed, because it was so cold outside (I was here in February) then the ambient temperature of the hotel overall was turned up so that even though I had the thermostat in my room set to 18C then the room was still warm due to the 'over ride' aircon with warm air. But thats just because I like a cold bedroom. My wife would have loved it being warm!

A fantastic hotel that will not disappoint.

Room Tip: As high as possible and facing the university square. Upgrade to a club room
1 Thank Tim_Owen
Dera Guest,

Thank you for such a great and detailed review. It is a real pleasure to read your comments. I am so delighted to see that you have enjoyed our services especially when you have tried most of them. I hope for the next visit you will try also the dinner in our restaurants and also the Gym.
Thank you for all your recommendations.

I do hope you come back to InterContinental Bucharest. I am looking forward to welcome you!

Best wishes,

Manchester
Reviewed 2 February 2014 via mobile

The hotel was beautiful! The staff are simply some of the best workers in hotels I have had the pleasure to come in contact with! Nothing was to much trouble ever. Food was wonderful, the bedroom "1815" lovely and big. The only down side of this place I had to leave after 6 days!

Stayed January 2014, travelled as a couple
Dear Guest,

Thank you for your review. I am so happy to read that you found everything you experienced with us, fantastic from start to finish. Thank you for the praises addressed to my colleagues.
It is great that you enjoyed the food so much. Indeed, our Chef really knows how to play with the flavours. Thank you for recommending us.

I am looking forward to your next visit, to create together memorable experiences!

Best wishes,

Reviewed 28 January 2014

Good service and comfortable but very faded.
The rooms although clean and comfortable are very much in a time warp and not modern. It's almost going back to a a 90's style hotel.
Despite this the service was very good and was reasonable value.

• Stayed December 2013, travelled with friends
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at InterContinental Bucharest, responded to this review, 12 February 2014
Dear philipclough,

Thank you for taking the time to provide feedback on your stay. We are pleased to see you enjoyed your time at the hotel overall, and look forward to serving you again in the future.

Ben J
Case Manager
IHGCare
Callington, United Kingdom
Reviewed 27 January 2014

We have just returned from this hotel having attended a darts tournament weekend here, it has been the best most comfortable cleanest hotel we've stayed in so far and we are away every 3weeks, all the staff have been polite and helped in any way needed the spa and gym area are lovely a real bonus food and drink excellent couldn't find any thing bad over the whole weekend I would reccomend to all you won't be disappointed with this hotel can't wait to go again later this year and next year :)

• Stayed January 2014, travelled with friends
Dear Guest,

Thank you for your excellent review. I am so happy to see that you had such an enjoyable stay with us and that you found all our offerings to your liking. Thank you for recommending us. It is great that you found some time to spend at the 22nd Health Club, it is really worth going especially since it has the nicest view over the city of Bucharest.

I am looking forward to your next visit!

Warm regards