“The Intercon Now and Then”

InterContinental Bucharest
Ranked #5 of 170 Hotels in Bucharest
Reviewed 21 March 2014

Where to begin? This was the first hotel-Bar I frequented in Bucharest back in 1987. Jet-lagged and wide-awake at midnight, I walked from my hotel on Calea Victoria to the bright lights of the Intercon just up the street. I breezed into the deserted place and located the "dollar" bar on the first floor just steps away from the main entrance--where it remains to this day. But there is more than the old main lobby bar: there are restaurants for quick food and liesurely expensive meals. We also went upstairs to the top floor bar and restaurant where we took in Romanian folk singers and dancers. If you decide to get a room, the views from the top floors are great of the city. Location is right down town a nice walk away from Athene Palace and the Square where the heroes of the 1989 revolt are honored. The Intercon is also right next to the Theater, the University and on the metro. Lots of shops and stores nearby too. So stop in and have a brew and marvel that you are in Bucharest and enjoy the moment.

• Stayed: April 2013, travelled with friends
1  Thank davidh400
InterContinenta... B, General Manager at InterContinental Bucharest, responded to this reviewResponded 31 March 2014

Dear Guest,

Thank you for your review and thank you for returning to InterContinental Bucharest. I am glad that you came back to us after so many years. I am happy to see that you still find it a nice place to stay when you visit the city of Bucharest.

Thank you for recommending us.

All my very best!

Stefan Frank

Write a ReviewReviews (1,425)

Reviewed 20 March 2014

Having visited Bucharest 4 times and beeing a hotelier myself, I have to say that this hotel is for sure the best one!! Where to begin..
-Rooms: Spacious, quiet, very very clean, having all the amenities that someone could ask from a 5* hotel, with balcony and a view (mine was towards the national theater).
-Service: I travel a lot and this has to be the best service I met in a hotel. Really friendly people with a smile on their face (from the Bellboy to the Housekeeping staff), very good knowledge of the city and very very helpful with anything you ask for.
-Breakfast: Excellent buffet until 11 in the morning, with a dedicated chef for your own preference in eggs and omelet.
-Location: Literary in the centre in walking distance of 1 min to the historical centre and the "central Metro station" of the city.
For sure management does a great job!
P.S. Many thanks to all the staff and Bogdan for taking so good care of us during our excellent dinner at the Modigliani. Food and service amazing my friend! Keep up the excellent work!!
See you all again!!

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled with family

Dear Guest,

Thank you for sharing your experience at the InterContinental Bucharest! It is really great to read that you found our service to your liking. Thank you for all the compliments addressed to my colleagues. I am so very pleased to see that you have tried our Modigliani Restaurant and your dinner was really excellent. It is a place worth going to..
I am happy that your stay with us was a memorable one.
Thank you again for all the compliments and recommendations.

I am looking forward to the next opportunity to welcome you!

All the best!

Reviewed 19 March 2014

Excellent hotel, all the staff are very friendly and courteous.
I especially want to note the receptionists gave us excellent service and tried to respond to all our requests.
Many hotels in the world and IHG hotels belonging to the network can take an example from the Intercontinental Bucharest how to give good service.

Room Tip: All rooms are great
  • Stayed: March 2014, travelled as a couple

Dear Guest,

Thank you for your excellent review. I am so happy to see that you had such an enjoyable stay with us and that you found all our service to your liking.
Thank you for your warm recommendation! It is highly appreciated.

I am looking forward to your next visit!

Warm regards

Reviewed 18 March 2014

For us it is the first time to visit the Intercontinental in Bucharest, having stayed in many Intercontinental properties worldwide, we really looked forward to explore another great IHG hotel.

We booked roughly one week in advance as we had some trouble deciding whether we would go for the Hilton or Doubletree, where I stayed before, or to book the Intercontinental, which is slightly less rated online. After some recommendations for the hotel and especially the concierge services, we booked a two night stay at the hotel.

Directly after making the reservation I emailed the hotel through the email address stated on their website with some transportation and concierge inquiries. Unfortunately three full days later, I did not receive any reply yet which is not very common for five star hotels. I tried to forward it to another email address which I found on a forum and luckily, some hours later I received a prompt reply from Ms. Alexandra, concierge at the hotel apologizing for the delay as they had some server issues that time. She also explained the different methods of transport from and to the airport but in the meantime we already decided to try the airport bus in the way from the airport to the hotel.
Some hours later I received a very detailed email from the hotels Chief Concierge, Mr. Catalin. He again apologized for the late reply and suggested that we could meet upon arrival in the hotel and figure out which day trips or tours we could do during our stay in Bucharest. Mr. Catalin was very polite and professional in his communications so we were happy to meet him as soon as we arrived.

As soon as we got out of the terminal at Henri Coanda airport we tried to find the bus which goes directly to the University Square ( in front of the hotel ). It was not very hard to find but apparently tickets need to be bought in a small ticket shop around the corner of the terminal building. On the bus, no tickets are sold. We also missed the first bus due to a huge queue but at the end we made it after a 45 minute bus ride in front of the hotel.

The hotels exterior is not very attractive as it is one of the oldest in Bucharest but is a very famous icon in the city. Also, the location is just fabulous ! University square is right in the middle of the city with the old town just minutes away and metro stop in front of the hotel.

Once arrived in the lobby, we were promptly assisted with our luggage and checked in with the friendly Duty Manager, Mr. Razvan who was extremely kind. Check in was done is a minute or two and were given some envelopes with information and a welcome note. Also we were given a welcome drink voucher in the bar which we eventually did not use.
As Platinum Ambassador we were upgraded to one of the Junior Suites. Also the room included access to the recently renovated Club Lounge.

Some minutes later, Mr. Catalin, the Chief Concierge came by to welcome us and suggested that we could meet in the Club Lounge later that day to see the possibilities for sightseeing and explain us a bit about Bucharest.

Mr. Razvan accompanied us to our room on the 9th floor of the hotel. It was just located next to the elevators and we even had access through two separate doors. The Junior suite consisted of two separate rooms which were made into one big suite. The suite was beautifully decorated and consisted of two separate bathrooms, living room, bedroom and a large balcony overlooking the University Square. The bedroom had a large King sized bed, a small seating area and a master bathroom with toilet, sink with all amenities and a Jacuzzi bath tub. The second part of the suite also had a bathroom with toilet, sink and a shower. This bathroom was visible a bit older but still in perfect condition.
The living room had some comfortable sofas, a desk and an extensive welcome from the management. We received a bottle of wine, fruit, mineral water on the first day and also local Romanian Salt. It is clearly visible the hotel does everything for the guests well being and truly cares about their guests.
Maybe some things did not work as they should be : the air-conditioning was not cooling at all, maybe it is only heating in the winter. Also the room door did not close properly so a lot of light shined in the bedroom during the night. Overall a great room with panoramic views over the city and the internet connection is one of the fastest and most reliable ones out there.

Later that afternoon we went to the beautiful new Club Lounge on the 21st floor where we met Mr. Catalin. He gave us some brochures and of course a map and explained us all we ever wanted to know about Bucharest and Romania. We decided to do a full day tour to Transylvania and the day after a half day tour of Bucharest. We were very happy to hear that Mr. Catalin is also a fully licensed guide and on his day off he takes guests around his country.

That evening we had diner in the hotels Italian restaurant which is called Modigliani Pasta e Carne. To our deepest disappointment no single table was occupied in the restaurant even though the menu and prices are great. It is also top 5 rated as restaurant in Bucharest. Staff members in the restaurant were very friendly and polite and we ordered pasta to start followed by a great piece of Argentinean steak. Diner was truly amazing and one of the best steaks I had in a very long time. Compliments to the Executive Chef Mr. Alfonso for this great diner !

Next morning we had early breakfast in the club lounge which in our opinion is way better than breakfast in the main restaurant. Service especially, is way better in the club lounge. The choice was also very good with a nice variety in fresh fruits, hot breads and spreads.

Later that day we did the Transylvania tour, which was simply amazing ! Especially with Catalin as our guide. He is such an amazing, inspiring, person who knows every single thing about Romania and at every sight he knows someone. Our trip won’t ever be the same without Catalin. Only he could give us these small extra details, tips and the best gems to see and do ! The hotel should be very proud on him and his team !

That evening we went to the club lounge for the cocktail hour. During the evening there is an open bar and an extensive choice of small snacks and canapés are available. The quality of the food and service are as ever, great. Especially Mr. Marius and Ms. Alina who worked in the club lounge were extremely helpful and friendly throughout our stay.

Next morning we tried the breakfast in the main restaurant in the lobby. The choice in food and drinks are equal but service is weaker. Staff members don’t fill the plates on the buffet as it should be also they can be slow in a way that empty plates fill the table.

We went again on a tour with Catalin which was superb again. He showed us places normal guides and tour companies won’t show. We also passed by some great local restaurants for lunch and dessert which were truly amazing. We really enjoyed our days with Catalin.

On our last day we did some sightseeing in the Old Town which is very close to the hotel and bought some souvenirs. Back at the hotel we checked out in the executive lounge and took one of the hotels cars back to the airport. The Mercedes was very comfortable and the driver was extremely friendly.

Overall we had a wonderful stay in Bucharest thanks to the great staff and of course the Chief Concierge, Mr. Catalin who made our stay even more memorable. The food, location and service in the hotel are better than your average Romanian five star hotels.
Whenever we will be back, we will definitely stay again in the Intercontinental !

Room Tip: The newly renovated club lounge is absolutely amazing !
  • Stayed: February 2014, travelled with family
3  Thank Max W

Dear Guest,

Thank you for the great feedback on your recent stay at the InterContinental Bucharest.
I am very happy to read that my colleagues made your stay an enjoyable and memorable one. Great to see that you found the Club InterContinental Lounge amazing. It is really a place one shouldn't miss once accommodated in the hotel.
Thank you for recommending us.
I am looking forward to your next visit to create together some more great and memorable experiences.

Best wishes,

Reviewed 18 March 2014

This month in March during Romexpo fair I stayed in this Hotel,I arrived the hotel at 11 am and waited the room for two hrs,but no problem and I had my room.Room was on the 8th floor and a nice view,weather conditions and other details were good.Room was not updated,it is not an old room but a little small,I heard that renovations had been started and I might have a new room for next year.Wifi was available only at the looby and the bar area,rooms were charged for a fix price of 8 Euro per day.Breakfast could be a little beat better ,such as pan cakes ,waffles were not displayed ,Jams and butter were open and not tasted as much as I was expecting.Fresh cooking were available.Service was ok,your coffee is always ready when you ask for it.Cleaning there was also no problem .Still there was abath curtain but in other this kind of hotels curtains dosent exist anymore.Rooms curtains were very hard to close it,I was afraid that could be broken suddenly.

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled on business

Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to provide feedback on your stay. We are pleased to see you enjoyed your time at the hotel overall. I have considered all your observations for future actions.
Thank you for you recommendations.

I look forward to serving you again in the future.

Reviewed 8 March 2014

Having stayed for only 1 night for a business meeting the following day, I did not have time to explore the rooftop swimming pool and fitness centre. However for large meetings the meeting suite on the 21st floor of this hotel was ideal also presenting a great view of Bucharest city centre. Whist I did not experience an evening meal, the buffet lunch provided for the meeting was typical Romanian and very good as was breakfast. Staff were particularly helpful even in printing out boarding cards for us just prior to us leaving for the airport. The hotel has an impressive entrance hall/lounge and is as stated right in the centre of the city. It you are arriving via the airport it makes sense to pre- book a taxi with the hotel at the time of booking the hotel, you cannot miss your name on the board the taxi driver will hold!!. It takes up to about 35 minutes airport to hotel depending on traffic and costs circa 40 Euros. Traffic on Friday afternoon is particularly busy! Definitely worthwhile to view the city by coach initially with a local guide and then possibly explore the main palaces and other sights afterwards at your own pace. Rooms start at about 118 Euros but with a meeting of about 40 people the rate dropped to 88 euros. A number of rooms as mine did have small balconies to take advantage of the view of the city.

Room Tip: Choose an upper floor room say above floor 15 to maximise the view of the city centre and surrounds.
  • Stayed: March 2014, travelled solo
1  Thank jmbb2

Dear Guest,

Thank you for your great review. I am so happy to read that you had a really enjoyable time with us. Thank you for recommending our locations, the 21st Floor magnificent view and most important, the service provided by my colleagues. It is really great for us to read your feedback. Once again thank you.

I am looking forward to your next visit!

Best regards,

Reviewed 21 February 2014 via mobile

This is our second stay here. Very competent staff, good rooms, good location and great breakfast. Very impressive not only by Romanian standards but by any standard. Wifi does not always work and the pool is a bit small but still a great hotel.

Stayed: February 2014
1  Thank Julien P

Dear Guest,

Thank you for your fantastic review. I am very happy to see that you enjoyed your stay at the InterContinental for your second time in Bucharest. Thank you for all your compliments addressed to my colleagues and for all the recommendations.

I am looking forward to welcome you back in the near future.

Best wishes,