“A wonderful hotel!” 4 of 5 bubbles

Tel Aviv, Israel
common_n_hotel_reviews_1bd8 1,924 helpful votes
“A wonderful hotel!”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 March 2014

We spent 2 nights at the hotel, immediately following a very severe snow storm in Bucharest in early February.

The hotel is very centrally located and is known by all the taxi drivers. It's an apx. 30 minutes drive from the airport during rush hours (30-40 Lei – be sure to to ask for small bills when you change to Romanian currency at the airport, as taxi drivers in Bucharest carry no small change).
There's a Metro station right by the hotel (Universitate‏ station), which makes travelling in the city safe, cheap and very easy.

We arrived to the hotel at apx. 18:30.
The lobby is beautifully decorated with dark green marble, a waterfall and flowers.
Despite booking a Club room, we had the check-in at the lobby, which wasn't an issue.
As Platinum Ambassador, our Club room was upgraded to a lovely Junior Suite.

While we waited for our luggage to arrive to our room, we explored it a bit.
It was a Junior Suite on the 16th floor, which included a bedroom, a living room, a small balcony, a main bathroom with a wonderful jacuzzi and and extra bathroom with a shower.
All the walls in the room were covered in what seemed to be a velvet-like fabric. Other than having a very nice feeling to it, it gave the room an extra touch.
The bath amenities were the great usual Intercontinental lemon verbena by Agraria and were plentiful.
The room also included 2 sets of HD TV (with countless channels, many of which in English), a work desk, a sofa, minibars and a Nespresso machine with capsules.
Our welcome amenities included a bottle of wine, some mineral water, fruit, 2 drink coupons for the bar and a hand written welcome letter. One could not hope for a nicer welcome!
The only downside to the room was that it was too hot for comfort and the a/c could not be turned off.

The hotel also included a lovely pool, gym and Italian restaurant, which we did not get a chance to use or eat at.
We had our breakfasts at the "Corso" restaurant. The breakfast was very nice indeed, with made to order eggs, waffles and pancakes, fruit, vegetables, cold cuts and cheese. The made to order coffee was absolutely wonderful, too.

We decided to check out the Club lounge on the 22nd floor, as it is so renowned around Bucharest.
Well, we were not disappointed. Far from it.
This proved to be an excellent lounge, with a library, numerous sofas and tables, computers, a great view of Bucharest (including a fun telescope) and an almost endless array of food and dessert spreads.
While the food in the lounge was very nice during the day, it was absolutely stunning during pre-dinner, and included hot dishes such as soup, pasta and meats, salads, desserts and alcohol.
The attendants at the lounge were very nice and professional and were really very eager to assist (they even closed the lounge's door during a noisy party in the nearby hall, in order to keep it quiet).
All in all, the lounge was absolutely brilliant and well worth the price of a Club room.

Bottom line – this is an excellent hotel in Bucharest, centrally located, with a great infrastructure, wonderful staff at the Club lounge and some amazing food.
Make sure you choose this hotel for your next stay in Bucharest!

Room Tip: Go for at least a Club room.
  • Stayed February 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank TheShis
InterContinenta... B, General Manager at InterContinental Bucharest, responded to this review, 31 March 2014
Dear Guest,

Thank you for your rewarding review. It is always a pleasure to read that we reached your expectation. I am happy that your stay at the InterContinental Bucharest was a fantastic one. It is great that you had the chance to experience also the Club InterContinental Lounge and you have enjoyed the food and the great view. I hope next time you will manage to visit also the Health Club on the 22nd Floor. I highly recommend not to miss a dinner in our Italian Restaurant Modigliani, it is really worth trying.
Thank you for recommending us.
I am definitely looking forward to your return in the near future to experience more of the InterContinental lifestyle and of course, the city of Bucharest.

All the best,

Stefan Frank

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (255)
  • Arabic first
  • Korean first
  • Turkish first
Cardiff, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 March 2014

Great place to escape the stresses of city life. Each room has a balcony. Great views from the upper floors, particularly the club lounge (floor 21) and spa/pool (floor 22). Treat yourself to one of the enormous suites and you will feel like you own the place. Good location. Excellent service.

Room Tip: Worth paying a bit extra for a Club room to access lounge facilities.
  • Stayed March 2014, travelled solo
Dear Guest,

Thank you for your excellent review. Thank you for recommending our services and our location.
I am more than happy to read about your great experience with us.

I am looking forward to your new trip in Bucharest and your next visit at the InterContinental Bucharest.

Best wishes,

Denver, Colorado
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 March 2014

I arrived at this hotel by myself at midnight, 5 months pregnant and after over 24 hours of travel to realize that I hadn't completed my reservation and they didn't have a record of it. I literally didn't have it in me to be upset or start to investigate alternatives and the front desk agent just took control of the situation for me. He sent a housekeeper up to one of the recently renovoated rooms that they were not quite reserving yet to see if it was clean and I might be able to stay there for the night. I was in luck and they sent me on my sleepy way! I needed to move hotels the next night because they were full for the remainder of the week but I am incredibly grateful they figured out a way to accommodate me on the night of my arrival even though it was clearly a mistake on my end.

The hotel is centrally located, the room was larger, there were plenty of treadmills at the gym when I went to workout and the breakfast was great. Overall, very positive experience.

• Stayed February 2014, travelled on business
1 Thank becknuts
Dear Guest,

Thank you for your great review. I am happy that you had an enjoyable time with us and that you for offered to recommend us. It is great that you found the food and the service to your liking.
I look forward to the next opportunity to be of service to you for the next visit to Bucharest!

Best wishes,

Houston, Texas
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 March 2014

This 5 Star property located next to the national theater and walking distance to old town

Huge lobby with free wifi , reception with helpful staff and the bar and restaurant located at the same lever

We were upgraded to a Deluxe room. The room was clean and big. I especially love the king size bed because it was really a one king size bed and not two single beds that pushed together

Bathroom was huge and clean with a bath tub. Love the amenities as it came with the manicure set, a scrunchie together with the shower cap. Not to mention the shampoo, conditional and lotion!

The breakfast was great and we super love the super high speed internet!

Definitely will be back to this hotel

• Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank VanessaMunYee
Dear Guest,

Thank you for your five star review. I am so happy that you had such an enjoyable stay with us, that you found to your liking our offerings and that you loved the high speed Internet service. Thank you for kindly offering to recommend us.

I look forward to the next opportunity to be of service to you, your friends and colleagues.

Best regards,

London, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 March 2014

Good location and friendly staff. The decor in my room was a little tired and outdated. The corridor smelt strongly of cigarette smoke even though it was meant to be a non smoking floor. Breakfast was v good as expected.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled on business
Dear Guest,

Thank you for sharing your experience about your recent stay at the InterContinental Bucharest and thank you for all your recommendations. I am glad that you had a pleasant stay with us.

Looking forward to welcome you back!

All the best,

New York City, New York
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 March 2014

Where to begin? This was the first hotel-Bar I frequented in Bucharest back in 1987. Jet-lagged and wide-awake at midnight, I walked from my hotel on Calea Victoria to the bright lights of the Intercon just up the street. I breezed into the deserted place and located the "dollar" bar on the first floor just steps away from the main entrance--where it remains to this day. But there is more than the old main lobby bar: there are restaurants for quick food and liesurely expensive meals. We also went upstairs to the top floor bar and restaurant where we took in Romanian folk singers and dancers. If you decide to get a room, the views from the top floors are great of the city. Location is right down town a nice walk away from Athene Palace and the Square where the heroes of the 1989 revolt are honored. The Intercon is also right next to the Theater, the University and on the metro. Lots of shops and stores nearby too. So stop in and have a brew and marvel that you are in Bucharest and enjoy the moment.

• Stayed April 2013, travelled with friends
1 Thank davidh400
Dear Guest,

Thank you for your review and thank you for returning to InterContinental Bucharest. I am glad that you came back to us after so many years. I am happy to see that you still find it a nice place to stay when you visit the city of Bucharest.

Thank you for recommending us.

All my very best!

5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 March 2014

Having visited Bucharest 4 times and beeing a hotelier myself, I have to say that this hotel is for sure the best one!! Where to begin..
-Rooms: Spacious, quiet, very very clean, having all the amenities that someone could ask from a 5* hotel, with balcony and a view (mine was towards the national theater).
-Service: I travel a lot and this has to be the best service I met in a hotel. Really friendly people with a smile on their face (from the Bellboy to the Housekeeping staff), very good knowledge of the city and very very helpful with anything you ask for.
-Breakfast: Excellent buffet until 11 in the morning, with a dedicated chef for your own preference in eggs and omelet.
-Location: Literary in the centre in walking distance of 1 min to the historical centre and the "central Metro station" of the city.
For sure management does a great job!
P.S. Many thanks to all the staff and Bogdan for taking so good care of us during our excellent dinner at the Modigliani. Food and service amazing my friend! Keep up the excellent work!!
See you all again!!

• Stayed March 2014, travelled with family
Dear Guest,

Thank you for sharing your experience at the InterContinental Bucharest! It is really great to read that you found our service to your liking. Thank you for all the compliments addressed to my colleagues. I am so very pleased to see that you have tried our Modigliani Restaurant and your dinner was really excellent. It is a place worth going to..
I am happy that your stay with us was a memorable one.
Thank you again for all the compliments and recommendations.

I am looking forward to the next opportunity to welcome you!

All the best!