“Fine hotel for business travellers”
Review of Duke Hotel

Duke Hotel
Ranked #45 of 169 Hotels in Bucharest
Reviewed 4 February 2014 via mobile

If you are in town for business, Duke Hotel is located very close to the business core of Bucharest, at Piata Romana. It provides nice and quiet rooms suitable for both work and rest before a continuing travel. The Wi-Fi connection could be faster, but it allows you to work properly. Consistent buffet to start a hard day with, friendly and discreet personnel, balanced room rates considering the location

Stayed: February 2014, travelled on business
2  Thank CosminCostas

Reviewed 21 October 2013 via mobile

I went to Bucharest on a business trip for two days. My company booked this hotel for me. I didn't check it upon arrival. So, I was pleasantly surprised right on check-in. The hotel is not big which adds a lot to the cozy feeling you get in it. The rooms are very well designed, not big but spacious enough. Very well-maintained and very clean. I even had a little note on my bed when I arrived, giving me some info about the weather conditions the next day :) The breakfast was very nice, plenty of options and very delicious, too. The location of the hotel is very good, close to a lot of Bucharest's key points. I was thinking that 3 stars isn't enough (I know that some people here would disagree with me, but that's my personal and honest opinion). So, I highly recommend this hotel to anyone going to Bucharest!

Stayed: October 2013, travelled on business
1  Thank Stanimir N
Reviewed 7 June 2013

I was transferred here for one night by my original hotel who had a problem.
Duke handled the process very professionally. The rooms are reasonably sized, decorated in slightly dated browns and maroons, though with a large double-glazed window overlooking the street - so pretty light and bright.
The bathroom was well -equipped. The aircon was a little too efficient and having cooled the room to far, I could not get the heating setting to work at all.
The breakfast buffet was very comprehensive.
The location is good, and I would recommend the Duke for a short, if unexciting, stay.

• Stayed: June 2013, travelled solo
Reviewed 26 June 2012

Duke Hotel booked through Booking.com on a discounted rate provided excellent accommodation, comfortable beds, a good breakfsat with friendly helpful staff throughout the hotel and excellent value for money.
It is primarily a business hotel offering free wi-fi throughout and internet access/printer in the lobby. This was very useful for an on-line check-in for our flight out of Bucharest.
Its location is not ideal for the Old Town and other tourist sites but nothing is out of walking distance provided it isn't too hot. (Reached 40 C whilst we were there).
Overall a good deal to be had.

• Stayed: June 2012, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 30 May 2012

I concur with most of what the previous reviewer says. I also stayed here for four nights on a business trip but I paid 108 Euros per night, including breakfast. I felt this was way over the top for this hotel and emphasises the importance of shopping around for prices and not relying on your local business partners to book a hotel.
The bedroom was very clean and comfortable and well appointed, though very dark. The air conditioning is a bit noisy but essential in Bucharest in the summer. The free wi-fi took a bit of trial and error to set up. I was on the 2nd floor but got the best reception by selecting the 3rd floor wi-fi.
The location is reasonable but the neighbourhood looks a bit rough until you get used to it. In fact I would have preferred to have stayed in the hotel the first night but the restaurant isn’t open in the evening, only for breakfast. Also the bar, staffed by the receptionist, closes at 9pm.
Overall a pleasant hotel and I would consider staying again, but not at 108 Euros per night.

Room Tip: Make sure the aircon works!
  • Stayed: May 2012, travelled on business
Reviewed 28 May 2012

I stayed here for four nights on a business trip with several colleagues and it was satisfactory for a hotel in this price range. (75 euros per night). The beds were comfortable and the room of an adequate size. The bathroom looked newly refurbished and was of a decent size with a bath as well as shower. There was free wifi in the room with which I had only a few problems that resolved with a restart. My room had an extra section with what may have been a kitchenette but now seemed to be intended as an office type area. It was not good for this as it was as high as a kitchen counter and no good for working at because the chair was so low - plus it was very dark. There was a kettle with tea/coffee stuff so that is worth a lot to me - it did not say this on the website however which would have saved me taking my own! If you are fond of English breakfast tea take your own as black tea is rare (not only in the hotel) and is usually interpreted as Earl Grey.

The only real problem with the room was that it was so dark. The window is not large and is deep set with green net curtains and my room was long and thin meaning only the part by the window was light enough without turning the lights on. Also the windows do not open so the air conditioning was required all the time as it was hot and humid weather.

The location was good - a decent stroll to the old town and near the underground.

The breakfast room was pleasant and the choice of food was good. There are a few good restaurants nearby at very reasonable prices.

• Stayed: May 2012, travelled on business
Reviewed 16 April 2012

great location (downtown Bucharest and not far from the underground station). The room was quite, clean and the staff of the hotel was very polite and attentive. The breakfast was nice and I was gladly surprised to find the Easter Italian cake (Colomba) during the Catholic Easter.
I will use this hotel again!

• Stayed: April 2012, travelled with family