“Deathtrap”

Hotel Union Belgrade
Ranked #84 of 89 Hotels in Belgrade
Reviewed 28 November 2006

Quite simply this hotel is a deathtrap. It is in a good location but honestly you are risking your life if you stay here. The bathrooms are the worst that I have ever seen and I was deeply concerned that I would catch something from sleeping in the bed. I checked in at 2 am and checked out at 8 am - six hours too long...

• Stayed: October 2006, travelled on business
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
7  Thank dwmIreland

Reviewed 12 September 2006

I would suggest that this hotel is the worst ever. I arrived for a three night on 26/8 but checked out after just one night.
The hotel is very dated and desperate for renovation from its 18th century furniture and decoration.
I stayed in room 206 at the back. There was only one window that didn’t close properly and looked out onto an inner courtyard which meant I was overlooked by about a dozen other rooms. I had to have the curtain closed to maintain privacy.
There was no shower curtain in the bathroom and the fixtures and fittings are ancient.
Some of the light fittings didn’t work due to faulty electrical sockets. The bed was broken but even so the linen was clean. With the windows not closing properly and a hot night without AirCon, I was disturbed by several guests having loud sex!!!!!
I left the hotel and trawled Belgrade for better accommodation which is in a shot supply unless you want to pay the earth. I ended up at the Hotel Majestic. The hotel staff were excellent and gave me a renovated room with a balcony and minibar. The bathroom alone was the same size as the room in the Hotel Union.
BEWARE; avoid the Hotel Union like the plague!

• Stayed: August 2006, travelled solo
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
7  Thank UKIan
A TripAdvisor Member
Budapest, Hungary
Reviewed 10 July 2006

I am from Hungary and travelled with my boss who was from the UK. We chose this hotel based on the price and the pictures placed on the net: looked quite ok. We were visiting Belgrade for business reasons and had to stay 2 nights only. What a shock! When we arrived the hotel literally stank of sewage which was tried to be "covered" by cheap air fresherner : even made this worse. No exaggaration. The hotel staff were ok could have been more friendly and informative. I really do not have high expectation of a hotel at 39 Euros and being Eastern European myself but the state of the rooms were disgusting. The paint from the window seals were chipping as it has not been painted in the last 20 years. bathroom was disgusting the doors were mouldy and no shower curtain. The lifts were out of order for a change. ( supposing you are elderly and have 5 suitcases)Very clever. The beds were so tiny I do not know how anyone could sleep there comfortably unless as petite as myself.The restaurant food was over-greasy and very plain without any vegetables, Breakfast is basically meat and bread. Not a slice of tomato for even decoration....The bar looked dodgy full of strange pictures hung upon the wall. We had to skip the last night and chose to go back on the overnight train to Budapest because could not bare the smell anymore...I can tell you the sleeping cabin on the train was luxurious compared to this dump... No offense. Please anyone be careful with this one!

• Stayed: May 2006, travelled on business
8  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed 5 June 2006

There is nothing special about this hotel, which is located on a relatively quiet street. The dining room and lobby have a slightly illegal look about them but our room was spacious with a decent bathroom.

Breakfast, not a buffet, was not that good, greasy eggs for instance.

Our two night stay at Hotel Union was not a memorable experience but Belgrade was interesting and the hotel was satisfactory. I didn't see any other hotels that looked better for the price of less than 70 Euros.

There was no computer available for internet. One must have his own PC, it seems. The front office staff was reasonably friendly. Serbia has its problems and we were there on the eve of Montenegro's independence vote.

Were we to return to Belgrade I would consider the Union again, if it were not in summer as I did not see any air conditioning.

• Stayed: May 2006
6  Thank FromBrazil71
Reviewed 21 March 2006

I chose the Union after reading reviews on here. It was fine, but nothing special. It's on a quiet street in a very central position, with a nice 1970s reception and ok staff. The room was smallish, warm, clean but very faded. The bathroom was a little smelly and had no shower curtain. There was a big fridge full of beer (hurrah!) and a huge new TV. Breakfast was sausage, bread, eggs and jam. Very soviet!

Worth the price, but nothing special.

• Stayed: March 2006
14  Thank lambtiger
Reviewed 31 August 2005

The rooms were a little hot and cramped, but the beds were comfortable, and there were televisions, telephones, and refrigerators. Most of the staff there are extremely friendly and want to help you get the best out of your trip to Belgrade. They have an internet room where you can get free internet access, and they also have a cafe, a "casino" (several slot machines), and a restaurant which serves good food.

Oh, and it's right in the center of the city! But from an interior room it's so quiet you'd never know.

19  Thank katsam
Reviewed 18 March 2005

I was leave Hotel Union two days ago, after ten days spend in it....I don't have much words to say, everything we need, we find it on one place. I recommend it to anyone who have a plans to come to Belgrade.

Best Regards