“Belgrade Zoo Animals Were Providing Early Bombing Warning in 1999”
Review of Belgrade Zoo

Belgrade Zoo
Ranked #23 of 220 things to do in Belgrade
Reviewed 30 August 2014

Belgrade Zoo animals provided early bombing warnings in 1999 against the missiles and the bombs of the U.S. (or they prefer NATO) "friends of democracy".. simple truth! The noise would start around half an hour before the bombs fall as the animals in Belgrade zoo used to pick up
the sound of approaching planes and missiles. The Belgrade Good Hope Garden, the full nme of the zoo, was the target itself as well during the bombing campaign, and the director Vuk Bojovic did everything in his power to revive it after almost full destruction. This zoo is situated at the very center of the city, in the Kalemegdan Fortress and the park. The zoo was founded in 1936 and is one of the oldest zoos in Europe.

It was amazing to see over 7 hectares (17 acres) well managed and transformed into a zoo which has 2,000 animals representing about 270 different species! I've visited many zoo's round the world, and maybe this one was not the best, but it was the "hippest" (I am using a word of my friend who saw it for the first time). I did not see animals suffering, but I agree that a caged animal cannot be a happy animal. But the kids were happy looking at this amazing educational place, where they interact with many domestic or domesticated animals which were out of the cages.

I wasn't expecting to see the biggest pride of white lions in the world, and I admit that they were fantastic... I really enjoyed taking their photos! You can enjoy the surroundings, brightly coloured benches, nice food and drinks, and even the animal picture books written for the kids by the director of the zoo, a real artist in everything he does.

If you want an enjoyable afternoon which will cost you as much as your McDonalds meal, please, do not miss this fun place!

1  Thank PantaOz

Reviewed 21 August 2014

Recently a small wolf attacked the child because he walked freely, it is inadmissible. This is not the first case. It is much better in Palic Zoo, where animals have a lot more space.

Reviewed 12 August 2014

We went one morning hoping it would kill some time. We saw some birds and farm animals and thought that would be the extent of it. Nope! Next thing you know we are seeing lions and bears and zebras! We didn't expect that and ended up spending more time there than we planned, which was no problem :)

4  Thank Asha N
Reviewed 9 August 2014

This Zoo is really nice! I didn't want to go because I read reviews like: "very sad place" and stuff. But really? If you are going to a Zoo you know that animals are not free (go to Open zoo guys!!). But whatever... my husband and I went... I can say that we had loooots of fun!! Of course got the problems.... like.. small cages... and some parts smelling :(

2  Thank elaine_ylc
Reviewed 7 August 2014

Cheap entry!! Was expecting very bad treatment for the animals. Some animals are lonely and some poorly treated but I guess the zoo is trying to improve. There are a range of animals but I personally think it is lacking security wise. Lions and birds have the same mesh metal fence as treatment and there was a little boy so close to a lioness!! We were petrified as the little one stuck his hand into the metal fence! The little boy's father seemed so unfazed..so any fellow travelers planning to visit this zoo, please be aware of the security!!

3  Thank yourpandax