“In The Mix...”

Hostel Goodnight Grooves
Ranked #18 of 315 Speciality Lodging in Belgrade
Reviewed 24 November 2013 via mobile

It is difficult to find this place due to the location and there being no proper exterior signage...It's actually situated on the 5th floor of an office building serviced by an elevator (walk down a passageway to a shoe store and turn left through a doorway into another passageway). Arriving at night wasn't easy - I asked directions in several places and eventually a local hotel owner kindly rang the hostel and drew me a map with instructions on how to get there...

I received a warm welcome from the manager who invited me to a complimentary drink and took the time to talk to me about the hostel...The place is relatively new (6 months old at the time of writing) and it seems to tick all the right boxes. There were the usual facilities that you might reasonably expect with a mixture of dorms and private rooms and shared bathrooms, kitchen and communal areas, all of which were very clean and tidy. The interior had been completely redecorated in a contemporary style and there was a small exhibition showcasing the work of local artists. The staff were all very knowledgeable and enthusiastic and brought a positive attitude to the hostel - I reckon this probably made the difference between a poor experience and a simply OK one for me...

The major drawback here for me was twofold really; the single room that I had was located right next to the reception and there was a great deal of noise in the hostel practically all the time...'Quiet time' is after 12 midnight and some guests were checking in and out after midnight and before 7am, which proved to be really disruptive...To make this worse I found my bed quite uncomfortable too and the end result was that it was really hard to get a decent nights sleep :(. Belgrade is a party place, especially at weekends, when there are people coming and going all hours of the night...OK if you're on board for the night-life but I have to say I wasn't on this particular occasion.

Every hostel has it's own vibe and I'm sure that this one has genuine appeal for younger travellers...I have to say as a backpacker who has been around the block I'm not sure if it was really my scene. Sketchy characters hanging around in downstairs passageways didn't do much for the feel of the place either and in the end I left a couple of days earlier than originally planned and headed elsewhere.

The hostel really has a great deal going for it and it seems to have the right people on board for the job, it's just a shame it hasn't got a lot of the basics right just yet...I wish it every success in the future but I won't be in any hurry to go back.

• Stayed: October 2013
3  Thank MRonaldSmith

Reviewed 11 October 2013

Goodnight Grooves is one of the best hostels i've ever visited. You are welcomed by a friendly staff which wants you to have an awesome stay in Belgrade. They answer all your question, gives you recommendations of sights and invites you out for a drink or coffee. The staff is genuinely serving their visitors. The location is good, near the bus and train station. Clean rooms.

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled solo
1  Thank Marianne n
Reviewed 4 October 2013

... Goodnight Grooves is one of the most interesting Hostel I ever been there ...

The location is really clean and nice, with a special atmosphere, close to the center.

There, you find warm, friendly and interesting people, always ready to help you.

I recommend it strongly.

And, trust me, they have an amazing Serbian Rakia!

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled solo
2  Thank Andrea S
Reviewed 20 September 2013

are you looking for a more than just a hostel, where you feel comfortable and at home,. Goodnight Grooves is just the PERFECT place, this is not just a hostel where you pay and sleep, here the staff are SUPER cool and friendly they are more than just staff but friends and very lovely people, and the location is right at the center of the city. i stayed here for 3 weeks and definitely would stay here again anytime i am in Belgrade . I highly recommend this to any nice and cool person,. Goodnigh grooves please continue this good job its wonderful and will always attract the best people to you. my long stay in Belgrade was made perfect by the wonderful people i met here, even had me and my friend on a city tour for free, introduced us to lots of new stuff about Serbia and everynight is a wonderful conversation, never s boring moment. what more can i say than to say that this is the BEST hostel in Belgrade and affordable as well. ;)

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled solo
Reviewed 18 September 2013

Thanks thanks thanks for everything, I loved this place and the staff took good care of us, and they were a pleasure to meet :) The hostel is very central, right next to a boulevard but don't worry, it's quiet ;) Good places to eat & drink not far away. 5/5 !

Stayed: September 2013, travelled with friends
Reviewed 16 September 2013

A very good hostel with wonderful hosts - very nice and kind. The hostel is in the center of the city and is nicely located in the top floor of the building. It is very safe - there is always at leas one host around. Thanks for the nice time in Belgrade!

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled on business
Reviewed 23 August 2013

We walked around Belgrade for near 3 hours before we got told about Goodnight Grooves and we were so thankful! The entrance isnt great, but compared to other hostels we saw (and rejected due to the grotty entrances) in Belgrade, it was good. As soon as we arrived the staff (young lady) gave us a welcome shot, showed us around the hostel and gave us tips about where to go in Belgrade, what to see etc. Super friendly! She also told us about the Belgrade Beer Festival that night, how to get there, when to get there etc. Common room was great and got to meet other people staying there. Staff (male this time) joined in with us backpackers with card games and drink! He also gave us advice on our journey to Montenegro we were about to take. Overall the hostel was great location, and the staff were the friendliest we encountered in the whole of our European travel!! Only thing to improve on were ladders to the top bunks -they're werent any!

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled with friends