“Poor side dishes, nice decor”
Review of Madera

Madera
Ranked #46 of 1,424 Restaurants in Belgrade
Cuisines: International
Good for: Romantic, Business meetings, Groups, Local cuisine, Special Occasion Dining
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Breakfast, After-hours, Delivery, Outdoor Seating, Reservations
Reviewed 15 May 2014

You would expect to find the freshest ingredients and interesting menu as the decor is tasteful and seems to cater to people who know their food. Instead, you will get exactly the same side orders as anywhere else: boiled vegetables and frozen fries or swiss chard and potato served with fish. The fish is also same old, a couple of types fried or grilled, the choice is yours. Interestingly, we were given a survey and I exactly said as above, but when the waiter came he was rather shocked to find comments and then became defensive and argumentative. His silliest argument was that the fries have to pre made as otherwise it will take them 50 min to serve the food! There you have it all...

Reviewed 11 May 2014

We stopped in here on the way home one night, we have sat outside before but not inside. The service was very good, fast and the food arrived quickly and the decor is wonderfully done inside. I had Gordon Blue for a main course, this was not really that great, was lacking in flavour and was to processed looking for my taste in a perfect oblong shape. They also served it with frozen chips, for a Restaurant of this class I would have expected some effort to be put into hand made chips. I have to ask if the whole meal was just taken out of the freezer.

Reviewed 8 May 2014

Madera is a beautiful fine-dining restaurant. They have live music (classical music and trio who played old hits), which can be a no-no for some people. But if you can handle that, then this place is worth a visit. Service was just great! Extremely polite, not too pushy as in many restaurants. You could see that the staff was trained really well and they were happy to serve.

We had a three course meal. Everyone in our table was happy with their food. Portion sizes were good, I hate it when there is too much food on the plate but also when there's too little but neither of those was a problem in this restaurant. I had all my picks from the list of daily suggestions and I was satisfied with all of them. I would definitely recommend this restaurant because of good food and wonderful service.

1  Thank HaMa_He
Reviewed 4 May 2014

The truffle risotto dish was amazing! Perhaps one of the best that my husband and I have ever had, and we have been to many high end restaurants in the US and all over the world. It was a rainy night, and when we left the restaurant, the hostess gave us an umbrella as a gift from the restaurant so we wouldn't get wet. What a wonderful, welcome, and unexpected surprise. The ambiance is lovely. Our waitstaff was professional and helpful. The other dishes we had tonight were the mushrooms stuffed with cheese and bacon, rugola (assume this was their spelling of arugula) salad, and meatballs filled with cheese and ham. Excellent Serbian fare. Lovely cab/merlot blend from Serbia. We would highly recommend this restaurant!! It's right down the street from the Metropol Palace hotel where we are staying, so very convenient for guests there.

Reviewed 22 April 2014

I was in madera for a dinner with some colleagues and guests from abroad. Excellent interior, no doubt, once you enter there you have the feeling to be in a very fancy restaurant. But then it was a catastrophe. Service was really terrible. Waiters didn't match the style of the classy restaurant it is supposed to be; often rude, making jokes of the ones who couldn't speak serbian, being in such a rush to take dishes from the table without asking permission. About the food, I wouldn't say it was bad, but for sure it was not such an exellence and not worth the price they charge it. In my opinion, there are tens of other places where to appreciate better local cousine and traditional serbian atmosphere. Bad experience.

1  Thank Piero B