“Unexpected pleasure”

Design Hotel Mr. President
Ranked #48 of 87 Hotels in Belgrade
Reviewed 10 November 2011

I went to Serbia to watch a game of football on my own, so was only looking for a basic hotel. I decided on this hotel as it offered half board which I decided was easier than trying to find somewhere to eat in the evening in Belgrade. Fellow supporters had decided to save a few pennies by staying in cheaper establishments but found conditions pretty poor as a rule. The Design Hotel - Mr President could be compared easily with a luxury london hotel, without the spa but with a genuine regard for good customer service. The young staff in the restaurant, bar and reception do speak English and are keen to ensure you enjoy your stay. The hotel food and drink is cheap and of good quality. The surrounding area outside the hotel is shabby by European city standards but the hotel is an oasis.

My only complaint was the room didn't appear to have any heating ( perhaps my combination aircon/heater was faulty ). On the upside though, free international phone calls were a useful and welcome extra given the poor mobile reception experienced

If I ever happen to go to Belgrade again I would have no hesitation in staying at this hotel again.

• Stayed: October 2011, travelled solo
3  Thank TitanicSnowdonia
Tatjana V, Manager at Design Hotel Mr. President, responded to this reviewResponded 1 December 2011

Dear Sir,

We appreciate your kind response. We will do our best to make our service even better and solve the heating.

You are welcome to come back anytime you please.

Mr. President Team

Reviewed 24 October 2011

Arrived 10pm at nearby Belgrade railway station after 10 hour journey,5mins. walk to hotel straight to room wash then bar excellent staff and room.excellent breakfast ,good room enjoyed the boutique designs around the place .Reception helped us out with directions .Handy for trains,buses and excellent trams we would stay here next visit to Serbia.No problems with this hotel!

• Stayed: September 2011, travelled as a couple
1  Thank davidcarol
Tatjana V, Manager at Design Hotel Mr. President, responded to this reviewResponded 2 December 2011

Dear,

Thank you for your comment. We sincerely appreciate it.
We at Design Hotel Mr. President work hard to make our guests stay most pleasurable and memorable.
We are inviting you to come back any time you like.

Design Hotel Mr. President's team

Reviewed 19 October 2011

I stayed in this Hotel in September 2011. The first shock was the loud techno muic playing in the reception area. Now I am in my 50s so this could just be me being older and not expecting this. The receptionist was very "come day go day" and not really interested in the fact that the first room we were offered was on the first floor above a cafe and the music was very loud even with the windows closed. We were eventually upgraded to a suite also on the first floor, as this was the only room available. This room was extremely dark with low level lighting and no chance of getting any increase in lighting. The safe was not attached to anything and could be lifted and taken out of the room with no effort. The hotel is on the junction of 3 very busy roads, opposite the bus station and has the local tram system going both ways. There is a huge amount of constant traffic rumbling past and the double glazing system does not work so you can only plug your ears to block out the sound. Unfortunately, I had left mine at home but I did have some cotton wool and this provided some relief. Things are not helped by the Traffic Police who turn up about 07:00 and start blowing their whistles in the middle of the traffic in an effort to maintain some sanity. The buffet meals are adequate and the staff in the dining room are plesant. There is free wi-fi but it very slow and I think the free intermational calls are so can ring home and ask someone to get you out of there!

Room Tip: Rooms at the back are quieter from the traffic but do have the cafe below them. So, when the cafe i...
  • Stayed: September 2011, travelled on business
4  Thank Shazmar

Dear,

Thank you for your comment.

I am sad to hear that you were not satisfied with our service.
I assure you that we will do our best to take notes and make best of your comments so we can be able to provide you with the best service ever.

Furthermore, we can offer you our sister hotel Queen's Astoria Design Hotel, which provides you with a classical music ambiance, Renaissance and Baroque feeling.

This hotel is a little bit further from the main street zone so it is quieter.

If you decide to come back again, please feel free to contact us and we will try our best to make your stay memorable, but in a good way.

Mr. President's Team

Reviewed 18 October 2011

Disgusting treatment at this hotel. As a female solo traveller I would expect that having pre-paid for my room I would be guaranteed a room on arrival. Silly me. On arrival the receptionist casually informed me that the hotel was full and that they were sending me by taxi to their "nearby" sister hotel. The taxi was at my expense and was actually a 25 minute journey - right out of town. I had picked the hotel for its central location. This sister hotel was miles away, bleak, gloomy, empty, dark and smoky. All in all a miserable, unsettling experience. I would advise anyone to think long and hard before ever booking with the Design Hotel chain.Unless you like unpleasant surprises.

Room Tip: Book elsewhere.
  • Stayed: October 2011, travelled on business
10  Thank JennySow
Reviewed 15 October 2011

Went to Belgrad for a weekend with my friend (both 30´s). Booked this hotel through their website and paid 95Euros for room and halfboard.

Service: The service is really very good. We were planning to go in May, but our flights got cancelled. We prepaid already, but the hotel was so kind to offer us an additional weekend in 2011. In October we arrived with a 5 hour delay (planes) and our arranged pick up got mixed up. But the hotel took care of everything in a smooth way.

Transportation from/to airport: The airport pick up of the hotel is 20 Euros round way. It is my understanding getting a normal taxi can be a hassle at the airport and would cost you, in case you are lucky, 15 Euros. Therefore would recommend the taxi service organized by the hotel, even it was the craziest taxi drive we ever had (one way street from opposite direction, etc).

Location: Walking distance to the old city. After 1 day you figured out how to walk everywhere and then things are pretty straightforward. Location is really good.

Rooms: The room was spacious and clean. The bathroom was clean and efficient to use, even our bathroom had some interesting semi look through window so you could see one showering whilst being in the room. The bed were not that comfortable. The safe didn't seem that safe. The windows could not be properly covered, as there were blinds in front of the window that were not able to close fully. We were on the first level, you could hear quite some traffic noise, even with ear plugs.

Food: Dinner was buffet food. I would only recommend it in case you arrive late at the hotel and do not have the energy to go into town to get dinner. Very standard buffet food which tasted and looked like it had been laying there for hours. On our second day we therefore skipped the free dinner and went to town for dinner. Breakfast was better, but not spectacular.

All in all, I would recommend this place, the location is good, the people are nice and the hotel is clean. As long as you skip the dinner and don't mind an early wake up due to the non-closing blinds in front of your hotel room window.

• Stayed: October 2011, travelled with friends
2  Thank Helsinki1972
Reviewed 14 October 2011

I would not really describe this hotel as boutique, it is full of random iron statues and then portraits of Presidents ubove every bed. It is a smoking hotel too so the rooms smell pretty bad.

The worst bit of all was the number of bed bug bites I woke up with, all over my arms and neck it really is horrible to think of the mites crawling over me as I slept. I was not alone in this delightful experience, lots of my colleagues also had the same issue.

I would also highlight the poor levels of security in the hotel rooms, passports were stolen and bedroom doors were left open for other guests to help themselves.

I really would not recommend staying here, it has not been a nice experience.

• Stayed: October 2011, travelled on business
3  Thank BabyB10
Reviewed 11 October 2011

Good location - right by the main Railway station and a few minutes walk from the main touristic attraction and the city center.
Service is good, we have been by mistake put in a standard room while we had booked a superior room and we've been upgraded right away to the best available room.
Breakfast AND breakfast are included in the room price but don't expect great food, it's just OK. A good thing is that breakfast is served until 11:30, ideal when you enjoyed Belgrade's nightlife!
The decoration is original and free Wi-Fi is available everywhere in the hotel.
This is a hotel with good value for money and for Serbia, a few things should be improved to make of this hotel a top-class hotel.

• Stayed: October 2011, travelled with friends