“Setting a new standard in Kyiv”

and 1 more site!
Boutique Hotel Riviera on Podol
Ranked #52 of 113 Hotels in Kiev
Reviewed 10 August 2011

I had the pleasure of calling the Riviera on Podol "home" for about three weeks on a business trip in July and August 2011. I can honestly say the staff are some of the best I've encountered in any hotel, whether in Western Europe, the US or even uber-hospitable South Africa. They take a genuine interest in your needs and take pride in not just meeting but exceeding them.

The Riviera is offering five-star service at a much more reasonable rate. Perhaps more important is the personalized service that makes the experience far more intimate and cozy than one would have at a huge chain property. They are proud to show guests what true Ukrainian hospitality is. Kyiv is in desperate need of more properties like this and should be proud of the Riviera for setting such an example.

My experience...
I arrived with a horrible cold and cough; a little while later, a piping hot glass of milk with honey was delivered to me in the business center. This is the level of service that Dennis, the front-desk manager, strives for daily. He remembered my name from the first day, something that just doesn't happen in huge chain hotels.

The breakfast staff greeted my colleagues and me each day with a smile, a "dobre utra" and even a memory of how we each ordered our eggs the previous day (and sometimes a suggestion of cheese, ham, vegetables, etc). The food at breakfast is delicious, fresh and varied. Every day I had eggs to order, cereal with fresh fruit, a huge salad with steamed vegetables or spinach, cheeses, meats, hot pancakes and pastries...needless to say I was full until dinner every day. On the morning of my colleague's birthday, I asked for "something special" for him. A festive mini cake complete with bright sparkler arrived just after he finished his breakfast. They even turned the lights down as they brought it out. That same colleague would later receive a bottle of sparkling wine in his room (a surprise).

As business travelers, my colleagues and I couldn’t have asked for more. The front-desk staff is always friendly, patient and professional, with a high level of English. Wi-fi throughout the hotel is priceless! Every day we ordered at least two taxis, which we often rescheduled several times. The staff never once seemed bothered by our ever-changing plans and we always had a ride on time. Any request we had, they would meet with pleasure, from sourcing an electrical cord for our own portable printer to helping with directions when we chose to walk or take the metro to meetings.

I can’t say enough about the level of service at the Riviera. It is what made my stay so special. But as I'm rambling (I was there for a while, so there is a lot to say!), these are more positive aspects:

- Location: Couldn't be more convenient! The metro and funicular (both clean and fun experiences) are literally steps away. In minutes you can be in the breathtaking square by St. Michael's church up above. Take the steep road on the other side of the hotel to connect with charming, cobblestoned Andriivski Uzviz, where you'll find street vendors selling Ukrainian crafts and clothing -- and a stunning approach to the ornate St. Andrew's church. The Podol area of Kyiv is special, with its laid-back but buzzing vibe, dozens of cafe terraces and old-city but modern feel. And of course the river views are lovely from the hotel's 7th-floor restaurant!

- Rooms: The rooms are very well-equipped and cleaned to near-perfection every day. Beds are very comfortable; linens changed each day (at least from my experience). I miss the luxurious comforter and pillows! Shampoo, conditioner, lotion and two complimentary water bottles were replenished daily. And I loved the Roshen chocolate on my pillow each night. My room had a lovely balcony with views of the river and the funicular, which made for fascinating people-watching.

- Other: Laundry service was fast and accommodating -- I'd asked for my clothes to be washed but not dried; when I returned to my room, everything had been placed on individual hangers and hung to air dry in the bathroom. My colleague sent a jacket to be washed; when she received it back, they had taken the opportunity to mend a tear in the sleeve without her asking! I also got a haircut at the lovely spa. So convenient and the stylist was very friendly.

Only suggestions: Perhaps the business center could be a bit roomier, but they were always willing to help me print from the Cyrillic menu on the computer :-) I only used the fitness center once (I opted to "exercise" by walking all over, up and down Kyiv's many hills and stairs), as it was a little too small for me. But I'm glad they have one; many hotels don't!

To everyone at the Riviera on Podol (Dennis, Natalia, Andrey, Sergiy, Yuriy...everyone in the 2nd and 7th floor restaurants, the room service staff, the housekeeping staff...I wish I could remember all your names!,) “dyakuyu” for making our stay so very comfortable, memorable and unique. I will certainly be back on my next trip to Kyiv and I wish you nothing but success for years to come!

• Stayed: July 2011, travelled on business
2  Thank sw_mcallister
BoutiqueRivieraHotel, Front Office Manager at Boutique Hotel Riviera on Podol, responded to this reviewResponded 16 August 2011

Dear Valued Guest,

First of all, let me thank you for posting your review on TripAdvisor.com, as it provides us with a valuable feedback coming directly from the Guests.
I am very happy to see such positive comments from our Guests that means we have got a right track and moving straight forward according to the high level standards of service.
Our “MOTTO” is to create a family environment and genuine friendly atmosphere for every single Guest. I am going to spread your comment among my respective associates; it will, definitely, encourage and motivate them to continue develop their professionalism.
Once again, kindly accept many thanks for sharing your experience to attention of Tripadvisor’s community, and we are waiting for your next visit to the Riviera Boutique Hotel.
In the meantime, safe travels.

Yours cordially,
Front Office Manager,

Reviewed 26 June 2011

We stayed twice at this hotel when arriving (2 nights) and leaving Kiev (1 night) on our holiday to the Ukraine. The location of the hotel is quite good being next to the funicular, near the river and in a reasonable district for restaurants etc. The hotel itself is well kitted out and the room felt reasonably luxurious (bathroom had a separate shower and bath, nice toileteries, two complimentary bottles of water each day and decent tv). They also gave us a complimentary champagne drink in their bar on the top floor when we arrived (however it would have been nice for some members of our party if they could have given a non-alcoholic alternative instead but they wouldn't).

The only problems we really had were that the shower seemed to have drainage problems in the first room we had and flooded the bathroom out pretty quickly. This must have been pretty obvious to house keeping by the dam of towels that had to be constructed. In the second room the air conditioning barely managed to get the room to a reasonable temperature and if it hadn't been that we arrived late in the evening and we were checking out very early the next morning I would have asked to change rooms (the maximum coldness it could get down to was luke warm). The only other minor problem was that the waiters at breakfast sometimes seemed to prefer to watch the TV than be helpful. Overall though it certainly seemed like a good hotel to stay in.

• Stayed: June 2011, travelled with family
2  Thank ricor29
BoutiqueRivieraHotel, Front Office Manager at Boutique Hotel Riviera on Podol, responded to this reviewResponded 1 July 2011

Dear Valued Guest,

Please allow me to start off by thanking you for sharing your constructive observations regarding your stay with the Riviera Boutique Hotel on TripAdvisor. Most certainly I'm saddened to figure out that you were not fully satisfied with your stay, however, your observations gave us an opportunity to work on further improving the experience we are offering to our Guests.
Kindly accept my sincere apologies for these minor problems you have experienced.Rest assured all necessary actions will be taken to prevent such occurrence in the future. With reference to a complimentary welcome drink which Reception offers during “check in”, as a non-alcoholic alternative, starting from today the Guest may receive his/her proffered juice instead of champagne. From another hand, I'm happy to hear from you that “overall though it certainly seemed like a good hotel to stay in”.

Once again, thank you for your valuable feedback and should you decide to visit the Kyiv-city again in the future, we will be honoured if you choose the Riviera Boutique Hotel.

Best regards,
Front Office Manager

Reviewed 10 June 2011

We stayed here for two nights in a standard double on the fourth floor. The room was a bit small but had a king size bed. The mattress was hard, but then they are in this part of the world. Good pillows, plenty of hot water. The shower is in a bathtub and one has to step very high to get in. The shower head is at the end of a hose and hangs on the wall. The carpets could use a cleaning, but otherwise, the place was fine. Good air-conditioning and two elevators. The staff here speak English well, and are very helpful. This is a family-owned property and that seems to make all the difference. While the Riviera is on a main thoroughfare, and right at a subway stop (which makes it very convenient), it's very quiet at night. It's a short walk to the river, and there are many touristy restaurants nearby, as well as two good patisseries. The breakfast here is included in the price (about $310 USD) and is quite good. Great espresso bar. An excellent value for June in Kiev.

• Stayed: June 2011, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 9 June 2011

We stayed for three nights in May 2011. We had our two 20+ year old sons with us one of whom spoke Ukrainian, the other Russian so language was not a problem. The hotel is just down the hill from the City center but is next to a subway stop and the Funicular so getting around is quite easy. There was also a very busy McDonalds across the street just in case you need a french fry fix.The rooms were very clean and modern with comfortable bedding. Bathrooms were well appointed. The staff was efficient and business-like. Not too many smiles but we found that the norm in Eastern Europe. The breakfast buffet was good and had a reasonable variety and eggs could be ordered according to your preference. We would not hesitate to stay there again. Not a 5-star but worthy of 4-stars.

• Stayed: May 2011, travelled with family
1  Thank STPima
Reviewed 26 May 2011

This was my first visit to Kiev and did not know what to expect. It turned out I was pleasantly surprised. There was no need for s visa for a British passport holder and it was quicker to go through immigation there than coming back through Heathrow!
The room was nice and clean, people very frendly. It is located next to the cable car entrance. I tried it and had a good walk at the other end where there is a park, providing a good view of the city and the river.
A thoroughly enjoyable visit.

Room Tip: Book early and ask the nice Front Desk Manager
  • Stayed: May 2011, travelled on business
Reviewed 16 May 2011

Stayed here for 4 nights and had a flight to another city in Ukraine on last day. At check in we asked for a late check out and thought we were told it was OK but the day of check out I received a phone call in my room to inform me I would be charged a 1/2 day charge. Went down to front desk to speak to CS and made to feel like a problem. For the price of this hotel, it definitely did not reflect the service.
Rooms were ok, nothing spectacular. Gym was the size of a match box and the Restraunt was ok.

Would not even come close to recommending this hotel to anyone.

• Stayed: May 2011

Dear Valued Guest,

Thank you for comment.Kindly accept my apologies for this negative experience you’ve encountered.Certainly, we are very flexible with the complimentary late “check-out” even during high occupancy. Our respective associates always try to do their best in order to accomplish every single Guest’s request. Request for late “check-out” until 2p.m. might be granted based on Hotel availability with 24-hour advance notice, it’s written into the Registration card which you’ve signed. However, the Hotel has a right to charge late “check-out” price. Apparently, you’ve got misunderstanding with CS because according to the Property Management System both your rooms were kept till 4p.m. and 5:20p.m. without late “check-out” charges, regardless very high occupancy during this particular period. Nevertheless, thank you very much for your valuable comment, it will definitely allows us to improve level of service. Once again, please accept my apologies for this issue.We are looking forward to welcoming you again at the Riviera Boutique Hotel.

Best regards,
Front Office Manager

Reviewed 13 April 2011

Stayed 5 days for a business trip, but I must confess it felt like a holiday. As soon as I work in hotel business myself and travel a lot, it's hard to impress me. But I must say, everything was just perfect, the way I like). My special thanks go to my room maid - a great job indeed! (room number 409), she was a fairy - never seen, always left my room perfectly cleaned, and of course the Front Office team - all my requests were met immediately. The staff is helpful, friendly and good -looking )
The breakfast choice is nice, everything there with small varieties every day.
so thank you all!