“Great location, Rude Service, Small Rooms w/ no Storage at All”

Kiev Lodging Hostel
Ranked #125 of 422 Speciality Lodging in Kiev
Reviewed 8 March 2011

LOVED the location, the place is very clean. That's about the end of it. The rooms were small and there was hardly any space to put our luggage, let alone any place to lock anything. We couldn't even lock our room because there was another room that only had access thru ours. The service was good, but we were at the end of a year long trip, were very tired, and I was birraded with questions as to why I didn't want a beer, why I wasn't happy that our reservations weren't right, etc - in a very rude and offensive manner. If I had had the option I would have moved because it made me very uncomfortable around the owner. He was also very very rude to his staff. That alone made me not want to support his business.

• Stayed: August 2010, travelled with friends
5  Thank Aduncan722

Reviewed 11 November 2010

Seems that we have no luck in Kiev,the place we stayed in this time appeared to be just as bad as the previous one.The only huge plus of it is its location.We slept in a private doublebed room,the bed was horrible,uncomfortable,it was summer and they had no kind of conditioning at all!The guy at reception had to open the door for us every time we came in or went out(what kind of system is that???) ,the toilet and bathroom were disgusting... We will never stay there again!

• Stayed: June 2010, travelled as a couple
7  Thank Irena_rus
Reviewed 6 November 2010

I was there X-mas 2009 and if you are going to Kiev for x-mas this year you will not be disappoint if you stay with them over the holidays it is run by a guy form Norway and they make a spes. deal out of x-mas Very good location, clean and they give you free vodka a good hostel to spend some time when in Kiev

• Stayed: December 2009, travelled solo
2  Thank freeedy
Reviewed 29 January 2010

summary:

the staff were useless, couldn't give us any information on tours/activities while we were waiting around to check in (before we'd seen the room) and apparently the owner can be a bit of a psycho (from the experience of some other travellers we met). We booked a twin room but it was such a ridiculously bad room we didn't even bother checking in. wouldn't recomend it to anybody. common area was nice and can't comment on the dorms.

longer version:

We'd been recommended this place by the owners of our hostel in Lviv and booked over the phone. They said the double room was booked so my husband and I booked the twin room instead. When we arrived off the overnight train from Lviv the (pretty useless) staff told us there had been a mistake with our booking and that they'd been expecting us the day before.

Despite knowing that the room was vacant we had to sit around until check in time to avoid paying a full extra day's rent so we headed out and when we came back they showed us to our room (with a bit of prodding). we had to walk through the dorm to get to it and when we saw the room we had to laugh. it was a small windowless closet with a tiny single bed. the other single bed was through a hole in the roof and accessed by a rickety ladder. we decided to find another place and it was amazingly good for the same price.

• Stayed: January 2010, travelled as a couple
5  Thank angelsea
Reviewed 20 December 2009

This is the best hostel I have stayed in while in Europe, very clean, the owner is entertaining and knowledgeable, free beer and vodka (not just on arrival) and the AK 47 shooting was a blast and only possible through this hostel, a great cheap bar/restaurant (Cupido) downstairs on right and plenty of hot water (2 boilers) the location is great because everything is in walking distance and using the metro was quite daunting. I really recommend it, the bad reviews are absolute rubbish and lies.

• Stayed: December 2009, travelled solo
3  Thank so1ange986
Reviewed 4 November 2009

Great place to stay modern and clean. Bob the manager fixed me a taxi from the airport and was taking backpackers AK47 Gun Shooting .The dorms were clean with good sized beds. if you are backpacking in Easten Europa and want to meet other travelers this is the place to stay. If I travel to Kiev again I will come back. Thanks for all guys

• Stayed: October 2009
2  Thank BOYGORGE84
Reviewed 1 November 2009

THIS PLACE IS AWESOME !!!!!!!! Its location is excellent, right on one of the main street to the main square and you meet lots of people who are ready to cheer up. My first night was already a pub crawl.Over the course of my 4 night stay in Kiev, I must have had at least 10 free shots of vodka and 5 free beers. Robert ensures that his guests have a good time and goes out of his way to do so. Great hostel, no complaints.

Don't believe the negative reviews elsewhere, I'd highly recommend this hostel to anyone staying in Kiev

• Stayed: October 2009, travelled solo