“Make sure driver brings you to the right Dimitrova street!”
3 of 5 bubbles Review of Siesta Hotel

Siesta Hotel
Ranked #32 of 123 Kiev B&B and Inns
Vienna, Austria
“Make sure driver brings you to the right Dimitrova street!”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 March 2012

If you're traveling by car or you're using the Zhulyany airport and need to stay briefly in a hotel, this place is just good.

But (!) make sure the taxi driver drops you here and not in the center of Kiev! What unfortunately happened to us and to some previous visitors too.

This hotel is relatively new and therefore not quite known by even the local taxi drivers. The big problem is that the Dimitrova street, which is just outside the airport, also exists in the centre of Kiev.

I clearly said that it should be near. But according to the taxi driver in the near is a village without any hotels and Dimitrova street is in the city. Well then, I thought, he knows the neighbourhood better than I. So we drove in the wrong direction, where neither the hotel or the house number 2 was. Oh well, I spare you the rest of this nonsense, finally we have arrived at the hotel, not amused. That was really not a good start of holiday! Anyway, make sure it will not happen to you!

Fortunately the hotel was better than expected. It was a very spacious building. The room was very basic, but clean. The restaurant was very OK, good menu, delicious food. Also well insulated. The hotel is located next to the highway, but you hear nothing in the room.

Wake up call forgot to wake us. Fortunately, I could not sleep all night and have awakened the reception girl to make sure she arranged us a taxi back to the airport. The taxi was on time and fifteen minutes later we could check in for our flight to Simferopol.

• Stayed September 2011, travelled as a couple
5 Thank AlexandraHodl

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (3)
  • Polish first
Frankfort, Illinois
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 January 2012

Rooms are not totally clean; prices for accommodation are different for every customer (or 400 hrn or 500hrn, no idea why), for some guests they make discount, for some not! The breakfast is included, but, people, have you tasted it?! It is awful: ordinary omlette and tea... But if you visit that restaurant some other time you will be more disappointed. Cuisine is unbelivable terrible. 80% of food are half-stuff! Never stay there!

• Stayed January 2012, travelled on business
1 Thank John L
Collierville
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 October 2011

We went to Kiev for the weekend, stayed one night at the Siesta and were very pleased with it. By Western standards, it was not posh, by Russian standards, it was very, very nice and we wouldn't hesitate to stay there again. The price was terrific - about $62 USD. We spent more than double that to stay in the center the next night at a supposed 4 star hotel that was old, dirty and disgusting! The Siesta seemed to be quite new and everything was very clean. The staff were quite friendly and helpful and understood my rudimentary Russian and they spoke some English.

The Siesta is outside the city, we had rented a car so had no trouble getting around and didn't try public transport. The food in the hotel restaurant was good, it was helpful that there was a restaurant on-site as I was traveling with children.

If you're going to visit the LDS temple, the Siesta is as close as you can get (about 2 minutes away by car) and I would highly recommend staying there.

Our room was facing the back, so we didn't have street noise although there was a dog who barked on and off all night.

• Stayed October 2011, travelled with family
4 Thank globug_7
Portland, Oregon
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 October 2011

I stayed here for one night and would be happy to stay again if business or pleasure takes me to the same area. Based on my short stay, here are the pros and cons.

GOOD: 1) The staff are very friendly and eager to help. Not all of them speak English, but even those who do not will help you as much as they can. The front desk receptionist phoned twice for transportation for me, explicitly confirming the price both times (for which I was grateful--no negotiating with the driver later). 2) The hotel is surprisingly quiet. It is on a very busy road that includes a lot of truck traffic, but set back a ways from the road itself. And while I didn't actually check the windows, they must be double- or triple-paned, because I heard hardly any sounds from the road even though I had a road-facing room. 3) My room and bathroom were very clean. 4) The location was good for my purposes, though maybe not for everyone, as it is not in the city center. 5) The cost was very reasonable (about $61 with Expedia).

NOT SO GOOD: 1) My booking was for a "junior suite with queen bed." What I actually got was a small regular room with twin beds (unless they consider the small anteroom between bedroom and small bathroom a room, thereby justifying the "suite" designation. But really, it wasn't a suite of any kind.) I didn't say anything about this to the staff, because the room suited me fine for a one-night stay. 2) The shower had no hot water when I needed it. The water was not really even warm; it was cool, though at least it was not cold. Later in the day, I turned the tap on and found that there was hot water, so maybe I just showered at a bad time. 3) They advertise free internet, but good luck getting a signal. I was briefly able to get a weak signal for long enough to send a couple of emails when I was sitting in the hotel lobby, but even that was lost after a while. And I could get no signal at all in my room. Fellow travelers had the same problem.

So, if you want a luxury hotel, you may want to keep looking. If you insist on English-speaking staff, a central location, convenience to the airport, a reliable internet connection, a hot shower whenever you want it, a bathroom you can pace around in, and shampoo in a bottle rather than those little plastic packets that are so devilishly hard to open with wet hands . . . you may want to look elsewhere. But if the location is right for you, and you want a clean, basic, friendly, and surprisingly quiet hotel at a good price, the Siesta just might work for you. If I'm traveling to Kiev for the same purpose again, I'll be booking at the Siesta.

• Stayed September 2011, travelled solo
Chisinau, Moldova
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 September 2011

Hotel is very clean. Rates are reasonable. Parking is Free, Wi-Fi is free too. It's a little far from city center, but if you have a car, you won't have any problems. Breakfast is not included (price is quite high).

It is very quiet and if you need a place to sleep with comfort - it's your place. Bathroom and all the furniture is new. Would come to this place again.

Room Tip: room 313 is very good