“Good value for short stay”

Premier Hotel Lybid
Ranked #43 of 111 Hotels in Kiev
Reviewed 10 February 2014

A friend and I stayed in this hotel for one night. The room was very small but clean and we had a nice view. Breakfast was included and surprisingly good. The staff were not very friendly but when I asked for directions to the centre, the lady at the front desk directed me to a nice man who printed out a map for us. Next time I am in Kiev I would look for a better location - closer to the centre and other attractions.

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled with friends
There are newer reviews for Premier Hotel Lybid

Reviewed 22 January 2014

The Lybid would not be the place to go on your honeymoon night - or for a special occasion, unless perhaps you had emerged from a spell in a Ukrainian prison or a coma. I perhaps am being unfair: it is not at all bad, and if you want cheap and functionally comfortable accommodation in downtown Kiev, this is a good place to go. If you want a real taste of the days of the USSR, you can take a trip back in time - in some respects. The hotel itself appears to have changed little from those days - but the staff service and friendliness are certainly more of the modern age, all were very pleasant and helpful. Wifi too works good in the rooms but you need to make sure you ask for a floor where it does. It works in communal areas downstairs - which were curiously full of Libyans marooned it seems after the war who seem to spend the entire day on Skype. As the pleasant Ukrainian staff busy about their tasks at the reception desk, they seem to have grown used to the loud bursts of Arabic from every nook and cranny across the lobby, echoed with the squawking responses from back home in Libya from the computers and iPads the long-term Libyan guests seem to carry everywhere with them. I didn't eat in the hotel - and the bar is quite basic with the usual 'entertainment' offered but which doesn’t harass you or disturb your reading the paper. A strip bar next to the lobby seems to operate too - with no-one apparently going in it seemed so you can ignore it. The metro is not far - and there's a pleasant (but very expensive by local standards) "Hunter's Restaurant" nearby - nice food but you can get much cheaper elsewhere. The room was spacious enough, quiet and warm - TV and shower all worked - but decor is firmly of the 1980s. If you want cheap and no-frills, this is fine - and once again, the staff were five star if the rest of the hotel wasn't – not that it ever pretended to be!

Room Tip: Not sure - I was in a room overlooking the traffic but high up, but it didn't disturb my sleep...
  • Stayed: November 2013, travelled on business
2  Thank Diarmaid F
Reviewed 22 December 2013

This hotel is on an intersection of 6 different very busy main roads so is extremely noisy all through the night. I did ask for a quiet high room before I went. They gave us the top floor but it was facing the road. The heat in the room was unbearable. You could not turn the heat down at all. When I complained to housekeeping she came straight up to our room but said that is the way it is and they can't change it. She just said open the window! We kept the window open whilst we were there but not during the night as the noise was even worse of course. The radiator is on all day and night. Single beds were very small and too short for us both.Everything was very clean.
The room is basic but so small. Bathroom is tight, hard to use the shower and toilet! Wireless internet in the room.
Staff at reception spoke English which was good. Staff though were very unfriendly and the doormen made you afraid to enter the hotel! They were angry that we didn't speak their language! There is a strip club adjoined to the hotel and there are strippers constantly walking around very visible to guests. Just to warn you if you don't like that sort of thing if you are with your kids or boyfriend.
There is a shopping mall next door with a supermarket at the bottom accessed via a separate outside door on the street.
Breakfast is 7-11am. They have mainly European type food but there is also bread, croissants and cereal. We did have dinner there on our last night as we were so tired. Wish we hadn't bothered. It took ages to arrive and when it did the waiter just gave me my meal. He said just a second for the other meal but it still didn't arrive. When it did arrive my meal was cold. He offered to reheat it but I said no way so that totally spoilt our meal.
Hotel is also far away from anything. 15 mins walk to the metro Universitet.

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled with family
Reviewed 17 November 2013

I feel that everything was reasonably good: food, room, service. But staff made me feel as if I was a foreigner in this country. It was not because I had arrived from the USA where I have been living for quite sometime but because staff considered Ukrainian language as a nuisance though they tried their best. One of the staffers with a beautiful Ukrainian name Cherednichenko I believe did not even bother to respond in Ukrainian. Дуже прикро...

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled with family
Reviewed 3 November 2013

The hotel is in my opinion a fine choice for the price asked. It is not a luxurious hotel, but the room I was in was clean and I heard no noise in the night at all.
The only problem I had in the room is that the bed was too short for me. I am 1.87 and the bed was 1.80 I think.
The breakfast was truly great and the staff kept the dining area clean and made sure there was sufficient.
The hotel staff was very friendly and most of them spoke English well.

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled on business
Reviewed 18 October 2013

There is a business where you access the internet 10 H for 15 minutes . The hotel is next to a large shopping mall. It is mainly high end dress shops and jewelry stores There is a small grocery store in the basement. It is not accessed via the shopping stairwell but has its only entrance off the street. It has cheap prices for Ukraine chocolates. It also has a large selection of alcohol.
There is a chocolate store about two block away. The walk to Freedom Square was 1 hour.
The elevators was locked.
The smoking area of the hotel is right at the front doors. So went you come into the hotel you have to go thru the heavy smoke And I could smell smoke in the halls .
The hotel is on a very busy and noisy street. The traffic did not quit it after 1:00 am . This is the noisy hotel I have ever been in.
The breakfast had boiled fish , boiled chicken, fruit, vegetables, oatmeal and pastries. There were 11 hot dishes.
My room had a double bed, refrigerator, hairdryer, free water , slippers .
Dinner was very poor . There were small portions, cold food and uninspired . A glass of wine was 80 H . There was a communication problem with the wait staff. One said that were was no Camille tea but another brought me a cup of it.

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled with family
1  Thank inthegarden
Reviewed 6 October 2013

You really get what you pay for.

Location: Close to central train station and metro station "Vokzalna", only few minutes walk. From there you can have easy access to the Maiden (Independence Square) in the city center. It is a lot closer than it looks on map.

Hotel: Has a pretty good system, with people dedicated for check-in, check-out, and tourism service to assist guests. Service is simple but direct. Interior looks old, dull, but generally still tidy. Room is practical, not too spacious, with fridge, tv, but a reasonably comfortable bed. My TV was running in odd colours, but was no big deal for me as I mainly used the room for sleeps. Buffet breakfast with hot & cold dishes + desserts. As mentioned in my other review of another Kiev hotel, they seem to include rice/barley + proteins like fish/meat + dessert in their breakfasts. It's almost like a full blown buffet. Choices decent but no doubt will fill you up.

Overall: Look around to see if you can find anything else you like in town. Ie. location, style, price..etc. I consider this as something to fall back on. With the decent price, convenient location, and the simple necessities.

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled solo