“How did this hostel get good reviews? It's quite awful.”
1 of 5 bubbles Review of United Hostel

United Hostel
Ranked #86 of 366 Speciality Lodging in Kiev
New York City, New York
“How did this hostel get good reviews? It's quite awful.”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 December 2013

I have no idea how this hostel got such good reviews. It's an old run down place, managed by this old guy who speaks zero English and hangs out creepily in the kitchen most of the day. When we arrived there was no English speaking person to check us in or show us around the hostel. It was as if they didn't expect guests even though we'd had the hostel booked for months. The beds hadn't even been made from the last people who stayed there, even though we arrived early evening and there was no one else staying at the hostel. The hot water cylinders in both of the bathrooms had been unplugged for hairdryers, so there was no hot water on our first morning. The washing machine had a load sitting in it the entire time we were there so we couldn't use it (again note that we were the ONLY people staying at the hostel). The staff were not at all interested in talking to us or helping us discover Kiev, there was virtually never someone at the desk that I could ask questions to. It really felt like we were unwelcome squatters in someone's outdated home.

• Stayed December 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank AshleaWheeler

Families
Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (3)
  • Turkish first
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 June 2013

I have been there an the staff are really friendly,very clean and tidy place I must add.I will recommend to go there if you are visiting Kiev,it's even so central and could go anywhere from there.A big thumbs up for the United Hostel for always helping me out in my wonderful stay there..thank you so much :))))

• Stayed October 2012
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 April 2013 via mobile

I have travelled to Kiev many times previously and was very surprised to see this hostel for the price offered at this location. Still I decided to give it a try based on all the comments here and I was not disappointed!the hostel was right in the most central part of the city just 200 m away from busy and loud Independence square in side alley so the rooms were quiet.the manager Denis is a fantastic host, very knowledgeable of Kiev and things to do and very helpful with organization of just about anything we needed. Traveling from China I was also surprised that they even had travel adaptors ready so that I was able to charge my phone with no issues. Denis also advised best ways to get to places and a few nice bars to spend the evenings. Also met some cool people within the hostel.considering that everything in central kiev is about 5-10 times more expensive with very little quality to it will definitely make it my place of stay any time I am in the area and will recommend this hostel in the future.

• Stayed June 2012
Malaga, Spain
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 April 2013

This is the best hostel in Kiev, location can not be beaten,so clean place you could eat your dinner off floor, most friendly staff that even take you out at night to best place's even pay, I live in Spain from UK and know that the Spanish people do not understand the concept of a Travelling Hostel as in Spain they are mini Hotels, They expect the same in other countries, If you are a real traveller like me. Take my word and ignore these comments..

Room Tip: All rooms well located and not any noise in whole place
  • Stayed September 2012, travelled solo
San Diego, California, United States
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 March 2013

Beat on the planet Earth ! The owner is wonderful , kind , generous and helpful, and takes me to all the interesting places to visit in Kiev, like the art gallery, and the open market, where I can purchase my favorite raw goat and cow milk . Also makes sure the taxi driver does not charge me 200 when it should be 35 whatever ! The McDonalds down the street is fun to use my tablet, as there are many interesting people to meet and befriend. I will be back this summer to enjoy the culture and the beautiful parks and beaches.

Room Tip: They are all good. The 10 bed is my favorite , as you can meet many travelers from the world over.
  • Stayed July 2012, travelled solo
4 Thank nifongnation
London
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 September 2012

I stayed at United for a while after arriving in Kyiv. It's in a great location in the middle of town and the price is very good too. The people who run the hostel are very friendly and helpful and the place is very well looked after. Highly recommend United as a place to stay while visiting Kyiv.

• Stayed August 2012, travelled solo
2 Thank Mike G
Edmonton, Canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 September 2012

I went to Ukraine not knowing anyone or anything about this country, and United hostel changed that! The owners are two of the funnest and coolest people that I will ever have the pleasure to know. They are up for almost anything but at the same time, enjoy relaxing and having a good time and are not crazy.

I felt really safe at the hostel and security was never an issue. The hostel is situated in a very good location beside the famous Khreschatyk street and a 5 min walk from the metro. Independence square is 5 mins away as well,there are alot of restaurants and shops nearby. Buying anything you need is not an issue!

I HIGHLY recommend any first time travelers to Ukraine to visit this hostel,they will help you with whatever you need, as well returning visitors to come here as well. I will always make it a point to come back to this hostel when im in Ukraine, because they did such a great job. As well the beds are good and the rooms are clean and fresh, same as the washrooms.

To sum it up, THIS HOSTEL MADE MY TRIP A COMPLETE SUCCESS IN KYIV, UKRAINE!

• Stayed August 2012, travelled solo